What can we do to be more attractive to the AAC?

Tom McKrackin

SMU being in DFW makes the AAC a non-starter and it’s because of DFW/ESPN. They don’t want duplication of teams in one market. You sell advertisers on multiple big markets. Look at the current conference setups and you will not see duplication in G5 leagues anymore.

Our chances of moving upward are out West, but the MWC hasn’t shown us any interest, probably because we don’t ever provide them with results to consider us as valuable. 

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

but...Alamodome!

If a comment could have jazz hands, it would be this one.

What city builds a football stadium for an NFL team before getting a team? That place turns 30 in 2023, making it older than all but six current NFL facilities. If by some miracle San Antonio got a franchise, the first thing they'd do is announce plans to build a new stadium.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

SMU being in DFW makes the AAC a non-starter and it’s because of DFW/ESPN. They don’t want duplication of teams in one market. You sell advertisers on multiple big markets. Look at the current conference setups and you will not see duplication in G5 leagues anymore.

Our chances of moving upward are out West, but the MWC hasn’t shown us any interest, probably because we don’t ever provide them with results to consider us as valuable. 

Just another thought, neither SMU or UNT own Dallas individually as that is mainly a it and A&M market.  But maybe, just maybe having both of them would be a good thing for AAC and drive more coverage and interest for the league.  I also think it would be nice for basketball from a scheduling perspective.  I know SMU is going to howl about it but like some have said they are one vote and quite honestly they probably have one foot in the new Bad 12 anyways no?

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Just another thought, neither SMU or UNT own Dallas individually ...

For TV purposes the "Dallas market" is actually Dallas/Fort Worth, so the market is shared by TCU too.

It's the fifth-largest TV market in the country and can support three FBS schools. The schools just have to win, grow the alumni support base and fill their stadium.

• Upvote 6

The TV Market argument drives me crazy. What good is a big TV market if no one is going to turn on their TV when you're playing. No one cares about your TV market if there are no eye balls on you when you're on TV.

Being in the DFW market does NOTHING for UNT from a conference affiliation standpoint and it has nothing to do with SMU or TCU. Being 11-1 in a bad market for a few years is better than being 4-8 in a good market. If I'm AAC I want football credibility. It's why Cincy is more attractive to the Big 12 than SMU. Cincy has football cred. SMU does not. Regardless of the TV Market. TCU went to the Big 12 because they became nationally known. They won the Rose Bowl! Beat big programs. Got highly ranked. They got football credibility that led them to the Big 12. There really is little difference between SMU and UNT from a national attention standpoint. SMU was formerly SWC. That's the only advantage they have for now. But they can start to really separate themselves on the field. They have a 2 year head start on us. If they go 11-1 and make the NY6 Bowl and beat Florida or something...THEN they will start to be in the Cincy, TCU, UCF conversation. But not until they do that. They don't want their money and they don't care about their TV market. They want football credibility.

As for us....if we get blown out Saturday our football credibility is going to continue to nose dive and the timing couldn't be more horrible.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The TV Market argument drives me crazy. What good is a big TV market if no one is going to turn on their TV when you're playing. No one cares about your TV market if there are no eye balls on you when you're on TV.

Being in the DFW market does NOTHING for UNT from a conference affiliation standpoint and it has nothing to do with SMU or TCU. Being 11-1 in a bad market for a few years is better than being 4-8 in a good market. If I'm AAC I want football credibility. It's why Cincy is more attractive to the Big 12 than SMU. Cincy has football cred. SMU does not. Regardless of the TV Market. TCU went to the Big 12 because they became nationally known. They won the Rose Bowl! Beat big programs. Got highly ranked. They got football credibility that led them to the Big 12. There really is little difference between SMU and UNT from a national attention standpoint. SMU was formerly SWC. That's the only advantage they have for now. But they can start to really separate themselves on the field. They have a 2 year head start on us. If they go 11-1 and make the NY6 Bowl and beat Florida or something...THEN they will start to be in the Cincy, TCU, UCF conversation. But not until they do that. They don't want their money and they don't care about their TV market. They want football credibility.

As for us....if we get blown out Saturday our football credibility is going to continue to nose dive and the timing couldn't be more horrible.

The problem is that conference leaders, university leaders, and, most importantly, TV networks, don’t share your view of TV markets.

It sucks and I agree with you, but it’s tough being behind two private schools in the same metro area, while the local media never puts us ahead of them in any story…ever. Hell, we all know it’s not that unusual for UNT scores to not even get mentioned on a sportscast.

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Look at the current conference setups and you will not see duplication in G5 leagues anymore.

How many markets have more than one FBS school? I know DFW has 3 and Houston has 2. Miami might have 3, but I'm not sure about that. I really don't know.

I'm not directly working in the industry anymore, but my friends who are tell me the most important this is "how many subscribers can a school generate," followed closely by "how many total eyeballs." No G5 schools "deliver" a major market, even very few P5 schools can deliver most of any given major market. 

The question no matter what the conference is how many subs and how many eyeballs is NT actually going to drive?

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 3

20 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

What makes UCF, UH, and Cincy attractive to the Big 12?

They’ve all been to NY6 Bowls. Beaten Big time P5s. Been ranked multiple times. Won a lot of football games the past 10 years. Been on the National stage. 

It’s sure not the Orlando and Cincinnati TV markets. 

It isn't an either/or situation. On-field success and the TV market are both considered by conferences extending invitations.

Orlando is the No. 17 TV market and the fourth-fastest growing metropolitan area in the U.S., growing 10 percent from 2015 to 2020.

And UCF packs its house. I've been spending time there lately because my son just began graduate studies there, and I'd sell my second-favorite grandma to traffickers for UNT to have that level of fan support, local interest and media attention.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, rcade said:

It isn't an either/or situation. On-field success and the TV market are both considered by conferences extending invitations.

Orlando is the No. 17 TV market and the fourth-fastest growing metropolitan area in the U.S., growing 10 percent from 2015 to 2020.

And UCF packs its house. I've been spending time there lately because my son just began graduate studies there, and I'd sell my second-favorite grandma to traffickers for UNT to have that level of fan support, local interest and media attention.

But they didn’t have that before Scott Frost took them to the big bowl. All that stuff you described (which is awesome) came after the on field success. We keep banging our heads on the wall trying to figure out how to flip those results. 12-0 gets all the spoils. 

*edit-additional thought:

Wren Baker is important to our growth. But he is not NEARLY as important as Seth Littrell. Our future in the college sports landscapes rests squarely on his shoulders. If he does not win lots and lots of football games, nothing else we do as a program matters. Cincy, UCF and UH have big time football success. That’s the only thing the Big 12 cares about. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

3 winning seasons out of 10 for an overall record in football below .500

Not a strong budget.

Not strong academically.

Other sports are terrible. 

Like "Dallas' Team" they don't draw flies while being in a large metropolitan area.

Don't see the attraction.

They can be built up IF they want to commit, like UCF. Big school, untapped area.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

But they didn’t have that before Scott Frost took them to the big bowl.

Point taken, but I'd say that UCF's rise began under his predecessor George O'Leary, that infamous NYU-Stony Brook graduate and triple letterman who led the Knights to a 12-1 record in 2013 where they were 8-0 in conference, beat Penn State and eighth-ranked Louisville and won the first BCS bowl they reached in a massive upset over sixth-ranked Baylor. (The only sad part of that year was it led my hometown Jaguars to bet the farm on Blake Bortles.)

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, rcade said:

Point taken, but I'd say that UCF's rise began under his predecessor George O'Leary, that infamous NYU-Stony Brook graduate and triple letterman who led the Knights to a 12-1 record in 2013 where they were 8-0 in conference, beat Penn State and eighth-ranked Louisville and won the first BCS bowl they reached in a massive upset over sixth-ranked Baylor. (The only sad part of that year was it led my hometown Jaguars to bet the farm on Blake Bortles.)

Yep. You’re right.  Forgot about O’Leary. He did it before Frost did. 12-1 with a big bowl win. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

UCF hiring George O'Leary after his Notre Dame debacle reminds me of the fans here who wanted UNT to do the same by hiring Jim Leavitt after USF. (I think FirefightnRick was one of the people touting this idea.)

Now he's SMU's defensive coordinator and we're about to find out whether he can still coach.

• Upvote 2

This is why I would like us to consider Scott Frost if Seth doesn’t come through or departs.  Frost didn’t forget how to coach. I think Nebraska is like Wisconsin, married to an ultimate system style. We could reproduce a UCF style in North Texas.  New scenery with Texas, most likely Oklahoma and Florida connections, could be a recipe for success. I don’t think he survives in the children of the corn land after this year. 
GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, NM Green said:

This is why I would like us to consider Scott Frost if Seth doesn’t come through or departs.  Frost didn’t forget how to coach. I think Nebraska is like Wisconsin, married to an ultimate system style. We could reproduce a UCF style in North Texas.  New scenery with Texas, most likely Oklahoma and Florida connections, could be a recipe for success. I don’t think he survives in the children of the corn land after this year. 
GMG

I like Frost, but being a former Husker QB, he understands the expectations and system.  Because of this, I think they extend a longer rope than if it was someone outside the Husker family.  Then again, I only see three more winnable games on their schedule, so he may be gone at the end of this year.

A 9-3 record this year with our schedule would get us some recognition.  The promise of a 40,000 seat stadium by 2025 would be another plus.  It seems that every time we move up in class attendance and recruiting improves.  Way back when we held pep rallies on campus and got a better percent of students to attend.

• Lovely Take 1