What can we do to be more attractive to the AAC?

Tom McKrackin

I am by no means a conference expert but this seems like a good conference for us.  They are expanding and in some articles beyond what they are losing to the Big 12.

What can we do to make it happen?  Is Wren shaking hands and kissing babies?  I like the idea of being in a conference with Memphis, Tulane. Wichita State, Tulsa and of course SMUt.

• Upvote 2

A poll on Twitter doesn't mean anything.

It's hard to tell what goes through their minds when deciding, but I feel like this would be a rational list of questions:

• What is the athletic budget?
  • What kind of commitment is being shown to the athletics program? For example:
    • Do they have their own football stadium? Is it relatively new?
    • Are they building additional facilities, and/or have legitimate (not pipe dream) plans in the works?
    • If the P5 (P4?) pull away, will the funding be there to continue athletics?
  • What does it take to travel to the school?
  • How do the academics rank?

I'm sure there are other criteria I have no idea about. I'd be surprised if 'media markets' was on the tip of anyone's tongue for a G5 in 2021, but who knows. At this point, it seems like it would be about finding an established program that is easy to travel to and doesn't drag down the prestige of the other schools.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The problem is we do not know the criteria that will be used. We can speculate all we want and make our best guesses but that's about it at this point

Ill Bet ArkStFan knows a thing or two about it.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I am by no means a conference expert but this seems like a good conference for us.  They are expanding and in some articles beyond what they are losing to the Big 12.

What can we do to make it happen?  Is Wren shaking hands and kissing babies?  I like the idea of being in a conference with Memphis, Tulane. Wichita State, Tulsa and of course SMUt.

Just win, baby!

• Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The problem is we do not know the criteria that will be used. We can speculate all we want and make our best guesses but that's about it at this point

You would think that being in the same vicinity as the CUSA HQ would be of benefit. IDK. Maybe not.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Everything UNT needed to do to become a candidate has been done already. And, thanks to Smatresk, Wren, and his staff, it is enough to be on their radar. Maybe we make the cut....

"Though Aresco declined to reveal potential new members, the top options are likely to start with UAB, a rising power in the G5 located in the heart of the Deep South. Football success is an important piece to any new additions, as well as fan support and school resources. Several others may fit that mold, including Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Boise State, North Texas, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina and Arkansas State."

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/08/big-12-expansion-aac-mike-aresco-reaction

And don't forget, thanks to Wren, ESPN has a favorable opinion of UNT.

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, rcade said:

It's a 10-year-old football program. They've had as many as 48,000 empty seats at their stadium during games, which has to be an FBS record. Their athletic budget is $8 million a year lower than UNT's.

I am not seeing anything that would make them "the clear choice." San Antonio is untapped because the geniuses running UTSA chose not to play football for the school's first 42 years of existence. Even now they aren't spending like they want to move up -- six Sun Belt schools have larger athletic budgets than UTSA.

but...Alamodome!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2