Uniforms for Saturday?

El Paso Eagle

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

We've been Mean Green for 20 years and I have never, ever seen confusion about who we are because of our branding.

If I ever see confusion out there, it has been because they are a casual fan that doesn't know you can have a Moniker and a Mascot.  I explain it to them and BOOM! confusion gone haha.

It's a situation very unique to us. I can't think of another program that changed nicknames, but kept the original around as the mascot and primary logo.  But like you said, there's no right or wrong. Just a matter of opinion. 

Do I wish we'd downgrade the SOW to secondary status? Yes. But do I get why some people would hate that and why we probably never will? Absolutely. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Confused 1

Last time, we didn’t change nicknames. We have a mascot, The Eagles, and a nickname was added in the late 60’s to describe the defense. It became the nickname of the entire athletic department and we were referred to as the Mean Green Eagles. RV came along, and because there are a number of Eagles mascots around the world decided to emphasize our nickname over our mascot. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Last time, we didn’t change nicknames. We have a mascot, The Eagles, and a nickname was added in the late 60’s to describe the defense. It became the nickname of the entire athletic department and we were referred to as the Mean Green Eagles. RV came along, and because there are a number of Eagles mascots around the world decided to emphasize our nickname over our mascot. 

Circa 1990

1990 McDag North Texas Eagles Paul Gallamore #10 | eBay

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Circa 1990

1990 McDag North Texas Eagles Paul Gallamore #10 | eBay

Okay?

Here is a good read on how the nickname came about.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/2018/7/6/trads-MeanGreen-html.aspx

"Today, it's the university's trademarked nickname, while the eagle remains the official mascot."

7 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I can't think of another program that changed nicknames, but kept the original around as the mascot and primary

Tulane. Green Wave, Pelican

Stanford. Cardinal, Tree

Alabama. Crimson Tide, Elephant

Akron. Zips, Kangaroo.

Army. Black Knights, Mule

Dartmouth. Big Green, Keg

WKU. Hill Toppers, dog penis.

ULaLa. Ragin' Cajuns, Cayenne pepper 🌶️

MTSU. Blue Raiders, Nathan Bedford Forrest's horse.

I'm sure there are more, but that's off the top of my head. It's not *that* uncommon.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
Added some more
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

It’s Cardinal the color not the bird and Stanford  changed from the Indians

Doesn't change that there's a mismatch in mascot and nickname... And people refer to them exclusively by their nickname.

Also, interesting facts, they used to be Cardinals originally.. changed to Cardinal. 

"Stanford Cardinal, adopted in 1981, formerly known as the "Indians" (1930–1972) and the plural "Cardinals" (1972–1981)"

And! Iowa State used to be the Cardinals.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Stanford. Cardinals, Tree

Akron. Zips, Kangaroo.

I'm sure there are more, but that's off the top of my head. It's not *that* uncommon.

Now that's a mascot!

image.png.5ab4c248d8709a1379c7f02906b42f18.png

• Upvote 1

I think Mean Green was one of the things RV really got right. It’s recognizable and people remember it. My colleagues are literally from all over the country and people see my NT gear and say “Mean Green, right?” all the time. 
And we need a visual representation - the eagle, our historic mascot - for our team as well. 
If you don’t like the mismatched nickname and mascot/logo just think that there are also demonstrated alternatives:  The giant red herpes sore that represents the Hilltoppers. 
That is what happens when you try to mascot the obscure. 
Excited College Sports GIF by College Colors Day

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Stanford. Cardinal, Tree

Akron. Zips, Kangaroo.

WKU. Hill Toppers, dog penis.

ULaLa. Ragin' Cajuns, Cayenne pepper 🌶️

MTSU. Blue Raiders, Nathan Bedford Forrest's horse.

Did you actually read what I wrote? None of those schools’ nickname ever matched their mascot. Army has never been known as the Donkeys. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

9 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Did you actually read what I wrote? None of those schools’ nickname ever matched their mascot. Army has never been known as the Donkeys. 

Right right. I got your point when i read it, but it's not a valid argument in my opinion.

You need to be honest with yourself - no one was referring to NTSU/UNT/Texas Normal/whatever as anything.  No one has ever said, Joe Greene played for the Eagles. Why? Because there are 100 Eagle mascots. When someone says Eagles, you think anyone, even in Dallas thought of UNT? They likely thought of BC and Flutie.. we aren't confusing people with a nickname switch 20 some years ago.

Schools switch mascots, nicknames, colors... It happens. It's not unique. It's a crutch.

But you are correct, i didn't read the whole thread. Some of that is rehashing.. my apologies.

I've never been confused. When people see my north texas shirt, tell go mean green,  throw up a talon hand and give the be sarcastic "caaaaw" .. they aren't confused. They get there's an eagle, with a crow sound, but called mean green.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

No one has ever said, Joe Greene played for the Eagles. Why? Because there are 100 Eagle mascots. When someone says Eagles, you think anyone, even in Dallas thought of UNT? They likely thought of BC and Flutie.. we aren't confusing people with a nickname switch 20 some years ago.

That's simply not true.  When I attended UNT, it was always "The Eagles."  Fans in the stands yelled, "Go Eagles!"  No one was confused, wondering if someone was cheering for Boston College, the NFL team from Philadelphia, or the rock band.  "Mean Green" was a secondary nickname only used in a few cheers.  Even now, when I visit extended family and other folks in Texas, they will say to me something about how the "Eagles" are doing.  I really don't feel any need to correct them, because they still are the Eagles, IMO.  As well as the Mean Green.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, UNTcrazy727 said:

MGFL - University of North Texas Athletics

What is TN? Go TN!, is it Goaty N?

Oh, that's right, it's just an abbreviation for Tennessee.

"Yeah, but it means Texas Northern, which could then mean the same thing as Northern Texas if you reverse the initials, and North Texas if you shorten the directional adjective! Go T N!"

There isn't anybody, absolutely nobody around the country, that associates the TN logo with North Texas.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:27 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

It's a situation very unique to us. I can't think of another program that changed nicknames, but kept the original around as the mascot and primary logo. 

Va Tech used to be known as VPI (Virginia Polytechnic Institute) and their nickname was the "Gobblers", based on the way the football team gobbled up their food. The mascot was a turkey. 

In the late 70's, there was a rebranding effort and VPI became known as Va Tech and they returned to their original nickname, the Hokeys. The turkey (aka Hokeybird) remained their mascot.

I know, it's confusing.