Uniforms for Saturday?

El Paso Eagle

9 hours ago, NTSU52 said:

Y’all griped when they put the North Texas lettering on helmets until they put the bird on there and now y’all are griping about the bird. I swear some of y’all are impossible to please🙄🙄🙄

I don't think we realized they would use a decal too large that has to wrap around the back of the helmet. We have other options that look better. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, NT93 said:

Smaller would be better.  I like it on the helmet because of brand recognition and I don’t want to go through yet another change.  SOW=UNT

Off topic, the logo in your avatar is the same as the one on the first UNT cap I ever bought.  I got lots of wear out of that cap.

I'd argue the SOW isn't good brand recognition. We officially changed our nickname to the Mean Green from the Eagles about 20 years ago, but our primary logo is still an Eagle. That's confusing. 

I like it as a secondary logo as a nod to the past, but our primary logo shouldn't directly reference an old nickname. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

41 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

MGFL - University of North Texas Athletics

yes...this x 100

just copy what North Carolina & Notre Dame do but with GREEN = collegiate & classic. 

our current SOW eagle resembles the USPS logo or the USAA insurance logo 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

And what would that look like?  They are going to have to replace the logo at the 50 and the center court logo in the SP as well.

Just a note: We have always been the Eagles with the Mean Green nickname added in the late 60's and emphasized beginning in the 70's.

Other U's that have different mascots and nicknames are:

Stanford Cardinal & The Tree.

GA Tech Yellow Jackets & Ramblin' Wreck

Alabama Crimson Tide & the Elephant

Auburn Tigers & War Eagles

SMU Mustangs & Rapists/Swindlers

But officially we're not the Eagles anymore. Rick V made that change in the early 2000s. And do any of those school's main logo reference the mascot/secondary name?

image.png.1d7e36da49b3c1cdf5c2fa6ec18f8df4.png

image.png.a94eb4ead5a57788f657e054860bd38a.png

image.png.959400d723e3cb83be63aea36c2c2dca.png

The only one that does is Stanford. The big difference is they were never known as the "Trees" so there's no branding confusion. It's just a nod to the redwood trees native to the area. 

image.png.1db49701c35ec27a02329a349633419f.png

Look, I like the SOW. I just don't think it makes sense to use it as our primary athletics logo when our nickname is no longer Eagles. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

But officially we're not the Eagles anymore. Rick V made that change in the early 2000s. And do any of those school's main logo reference the mascot/secondary name?

image.png.1d7e36da49b3c1cdf5c2fa6ec18f8df4.png

image.png.a94eb4ead5a57788f657e054860bd38a.png

image.png.959400d723e3cb83be63aea36c2c2dca.png

The only one that does is Stanford. The big difference is they were never known as the "Trees" so there's no branding confusion. It's just a nod to the redwood trees native to the area. 

image.png.1db49701c35ec27a02329a349633419f.png

Look, I like the SOW. I just don't think it makes sense to use it as our primary athletics logo when our nickname is no longer Eagles. 

As noted above, this is not accurate.  Our nickname was never The Eagles.  The Eagles has been our mascot forever.  The Mean Green came about as a nickname for our defense in the late 60's and became a pretty common nickname in the 70's moving forward.  RV decided to emphasize the nickname when he arrived, but did not change the mascot.  That is why you now hear us referred to as the "Mean Green" but still with the eagle logo on everything.  A mascot and a nickname are two different things.

And regarding the pictures you provided. Here are the mascots for the

Alabama Crimson Tide: 

Alabama mascot bewitches crowd with 'inchworm' imitation

GA Tech Yellowjackets:

Georgia Tech Cheerleaders and Buzz ride the Ramblin' Wreck onto the field  before the second half kickoff photo - Jerry Pillarelli photos at pbase.com

Auburn Tigers: (War Eagle is actually a battle cry, not a nickname)

Index of /~miracle/AUStuff/Auburn Graphics

Stanford:

Cardinal is the name of their teams based on their color.  The Tree was the band's mascot and adopted by the university.  Officially, Stanford does not have a mascot.

The Five Worst College Football Mascots in History

Then again, this is Stanford.

Here is the link to UNT's website describing the mascot and the nickname

https://traditions.unt.edu/traditions/#

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

That is simply not accurate. We are and always have been the eagles. Our sports moniker is the Mean Green but we never abandoned Eagles. 

Except we did abandon it as the official nickname...

History of Mean Green

After Rick Villarreal was named athletic director in 2000, every UNT sports team took on the Mean Green nickname. Today, it's the university's trademarked nickname, while the eagle remains the official mascot.

And someone might want to tell the school to update their traditions page...

UNT Traditions

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Not sure we are on the same page.

The official nickname might have been the Eagles.  We've moved into brand that includes the Eagles as our Mascot (hence, you still see Scrappy on the sidelines), but we are also Mean Green as a nickname.

You can have an official moniker and mascot coexist.  Where is the confusion?

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

History of Mean Green

And someone might want to tell the school to update their traditions page...

UNT Traditions

Read the part about RV again:

"After Rick Villarreal was named athletic director in 2000, every UNT sports team took on the Mean Green nickname. Today, it's the university's trademarked nickname, while the eagle remains the official mascot."

We didn't abandon the eagle as the official nickname.  It was never the nickname just the mascot.

mas·cot
/ˈmasˌkät,ˈmasˌkət/
noun
  1. a person or thing that is supposed to bring good luck or that is used to symbolize a particular event or organization.
    "the squadron's mascot was a young lion cub"

nick·name
/ˈnikˌnām/
noun
  1. a familiar or humorous name given to a person or thing instead of or as well as the real name.
    "Mallender's fair complexion gave rise to his nickname “Ghost”"
Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

Just now, greenminer said:

Not sure we are on the same page.

The official nickname might have been the Eagles.  We've moved into brand that includes the Eagles as our Mascot (hence, you still see Scrappy on the sidelines), but we are also Mean Green as a nickname.

You can have an official moniker and mascot coexist.  Where is the confusion?

Why whole point (which seems to have been lost) is that its bad branding to use the SOW as our primary logo because our official nickname is no longer "Eagles".  Like in your Alabama example, they don't use the elephant as their primary logo. Its only a secondary logo for merchandise. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Read the part about RV again:

"After Rick Villarreal was named athletic director in 2000, every UNT sports team took on the Mean Green nickname. Today, it's the university's trademarked nickname, while the eagle remains the official mascot."

We didn't abandon the eagle as the official nickname.  It was never the nickname just the mascot.

mas·cot
/ˈmasˌkät,ˈmasˌkət/
noun
  1. a person or thing that is supposed to bring good luck or that is used to symbolize a particular event or organization.
    "the squadron's mascot was a young lion cub"

nick·name
/ˈnikˌnām/
noun
  1. a familiar or humorous name given to a person or thing instead of or as well as the real name.
    "Mallender's fair complexion gave rise to his nickname “Ghost”"

I'm sorry, but what do you think our nickname was before "Mean Green" came along? 

6 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Why whole point (which seems to have been lost) is that its bad branding to use the SOW as our primary logo because our official nickname is no longer "Eagles".  Like in your Alabama example, they don't use the elephant as their primary logo. Its only a secondary logo for merchandise. 

I think this boils down to an argument that goes back to RV: what is the emphasis for our brand? "UNT" "North Texas" "Mean Green" or "Eagles"?

There is no law here.  I think what makes good branding is, among other things, 1) something identifiable, 2) quality product/entity.

The current variation of SOW was inspired a ton by 2012 Oregon.  They are bringing it back to.  You know why? it's cool.

PS/EDIT: I think it should be noted that Mean Green has been our moniker - officially since early 2000s and unofficially going back to the 1960s. - in some capacity for generations.  We can have a healthy balance of both in our branding.  Maybe I'm alone, but I love having both elements (Mean Green/Eagles) and don't think either should be abandoned.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think this boils down to an argument that goes back to RV: what is the emphasis for our brand? "UNT" "North Texas" "Mean Green" or "Eagles"?

There is no law here.  I think what makes good branding is, among other things, 1) something identifiable, 2) quality product/entity.

The current variation of SOW was inspired a ton by 2012 Oregon.  They are bringing it back to.  You know why? it's cool.

PS/EDIT: I think it should be noted that Mean Green has been our moniker - officially since early 2000s and unofficially going back to the 1960s. - in some capacity for generations.  We can have a healthy balance of both in our branding.  Maybe I'm alone, but I love having both elements (Mean Green/Eagles) and don't think either should be abandoned.

Thanks for the thoughtful response...

I guess my main issue with our branding is that we can't seem to decide between "UNT" and "North Texas" or "Mean Green" and "Eagles".  I don't want to completely abandon everything "eagle". It would basically be impossible at this point. I would just prefer our primary logo not cause confusion to what our teams are called. 

I love the interlocking "NT" because its something we've used in the past multiple times, has a classic collegiate look, and doesn't cause confusion with the nickname.  

3 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I would just prefer our primary logo not cause confusion to what our teams are called. 

I love the interlocking "NT" because its something we've used in the past multiple times, has a classic collegiate look, and doesn't cause confusion with the nickname.  

We've been Mean Green for 20 years and I have never, ever seen confusion about who we are because of our branding.

If I ever see confusion out there, it has been because they are a casual fan that doesn't know you can have a Moniker and a Mascot.  I explain it to them and BOOM! confusion gone haha.

PS: I have always loved the old school, simple helmets in CFB and an interlocking NT design using san serif would be so great!

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2