'Come and Take It' tradition a 'distraction' for UTSA and will no longer be used, president says

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express...440792.php

University of Texas at San Antonio President Taylor Eighmy said in an email sent to faculty, staff, students and alumni on Tuesday that the football team and athletics department will no longer take part in traditions associated with the "Come and Take It" slogan beginning immediately.

This means the traditional unfurling of the enormous "Come and Take It" flag across the student section before the start of the fourth quarter of home football games will no longer take place.

The school received backlash online after opening its new Roadrunner Athletics Center of Excellence building that greets visitors with a large "Come and Take It" sign. A former UTSA professor created the petition to urge the university to take down the sign and to end the use of the slogan because it is "offensive" and "anti-Mexican." 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Harry changed the title to 'Come and Take It' tradition a 'distraction' for UTSA and will no longer be used, president says

I mean I have to imagine it's a weird thing for Mexican-American students who go to UTSA to see. Seems like a large push towards encouraging the university to better welcome the very large Mexican American population on campus/in San Antonio. Agree that no one will miss it.

Also, regardless of how we individually feel, we should celebrate that UTSA fans are ticked off. 

Edited by denton_days
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

One might argue that the reason for the Texas Revolution is controversial. In recent decades, there is an effort to correct the "Texas Mythes" associated with becoming a Republic, reasons for not (but ultimately) joining the Confederacy, and the role that Mexicans played in our history. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/slavery-integral-texas-transition-from-republic-to-statehood-textbook-doesnt-tell-full-story/

https://crossculturalsolidarity.com/how-slavery-led-to-the-texas-revolution/

https://www.texasobserver.org/juneteenth-and-the-myth-of-texas-fight-for-independence/

So the whole "Come and Take it" - can really be, you know, talking about a slave (instead whatever cannon metaphor it is about). There is certainly more to the phrase than a simple "red rover, red rover" child's game. I can see why it isn't something that is used as a rallying cry at a college sports outing. 

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 13

8 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Slavery was undeniably an issue of conflict in Texas that would have eventually requied resolution and probably conflict, unlike the civil war where slavery was explicitly cited as the main issue leading to secession, the Texians both white and tejano cited much the same reasons for revolting as all the other parts of Mexico that revolted in that time period. While the whole revolution was mythologized and sanitized like these things always seem to be, the push to make it all about slavery is just politically motivated revisionism.  There's not a revolution in history that entirely lives up to the morals of 2021, and the idea that you cannot celebrate what was accomplished because there were parts left undone is an insane Robespierre-ish notion that can only pass soon enough. 

Good posts. People are always going to complain. People think they are so enlightened these days. In reality history will look at this era like it’s full of a bunch of idiots. As do a lot of people around the world currently do. Right now everyone is offended by everything. Either way last I checked Mexico rebelled against Spain. I seriously doubt they feel bad in Mexico about it. That level of self loathing is reserved for people addicted to bitching about our country. 

• Upvote 9
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Good posts. People are always going to complain. People think they are so enlightened these days. In reality history will look at this era like it’s full of a bunch of idiots. As do a lot of people around the world currently do. Right now everyone is offended by everything. Either way last I checked Mexico rebelled against Spain. I seriously doubt they feel bad in Mexico about it. That level of self loathing is reserved for people addicted to bitching about our country. 

more so than the fervent defenders of "our history" that didn't know/care about a statue/flag/building name until someone different than them challenged it's place and significance in this era? 

at best it's a push. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 11

9 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

You think that's bad. Imagine how they'll feel when they find out the Alamo is in their city.  They should probably bulldoze that too.  

I mean if we're really being honest, we're memorializing military leaders who didn't follow orders, directly leading to the deaths of their entire battalion...and in truth that real estate is probably better utilized anyway...by maybe an H&M or Jamba Juice?

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 15

On 9/9/2021 at 5:38 AM, cwb said:

Metaphor: a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract.

Do you think that is was really about a cannon? A physical cannon? That is once it was "gotten" that it was over? Or is the cannon a metaphor for the whole conflict? 

How about that flag flying in neighbors driveway? You think he's literally upset about Mexico and that black cannon? Or maybe it's a metaphor for some abstract concept of freedom, fight for freedom and independence? 

Obviously I get and know that said cannon existed. It represented something larger. A metaphor, if you will.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 4

47 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It is so offensive that they came to this state to live, chose to attend that school, and as far as I can tell of the students helping unfurl that flag at the beginning of the fourth quarter, had fun displaying it and now someone decided it is racist so it must be cancelled.  Got it.

"They"??

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3