What's next in college football realignment? A common sense plan to bond Group of 5

Coach Andy Mac

This is an outstanding plan that makes a ton of sense for all involved. Furthermore, it would make sense to have playoffs for every level (P5, G5, FCS, D2, D3) so that the G5 member schools have a realistic shot at playing for a championship. It would basically be like the Texas High School playoff system. As Wren has said time and time again, geography needs to play a role, and hopefully some common sense will prevail through this realignment process.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, untcampbell said:

I see 3-4 teams in the Southwest (League) Conference that won't think it is a good idea. Logic needs to replace emotion and/or elitism.

Let's combine to find the best ways to be relevant and to continue to exist.

GMG

Maybe it's time for these teams to go Independent 

11 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Agree....I'm sure SMU is the main one, but they don't have any leverage.

They need to be told: "Go to the Big 12 if they'll take you (they won't) or go indy"

Pretty simple

An even bigger joke than SMU's mindset is UTEP's - All you hear out here is how NMSU is not good enough to be in a conference with them. It's always good for a laugh. 

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

An even bigger joke than SMU's mindset is UTEP's - All you hear out here is how NMSU is not good enough to be in a conference with them. It's always good for a laugh. 

The moves by the SEC and now Big 12 were the last straw with me...I've changed myself. Texas State...come on in. La Tech is going to have to change on La Monroe, SMU on us, I'm sure UAB on Troy, Probably USF on FAU, UTEP on NMSU, Memphis on Ark St., etc.

• Thanks 3

I could absolutely get behind this.

Southwest League (16)

Division 1
Tulsa
SMU
North Texas
UTSA
Texas State
Rice
Arkansas State
Memphis

Division 2

Louisiana Tech
Louisiana
Louisiana-Monroe
Tulane
UAB
Southern Miss
Troy
South Alabama

7 division games, 2 crossovers, 3 OOC? Conf championship game followed by a playoff? I'm in. Looks like 4 "leagues" champ from each one in playoff to start. I think that would get attention.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Southwest League (16)

Division 1
Tulsa
SMU
North Texas
UTSA
Texas State
Rice
Arkansas State
Memphis

Division 2

Louisiana Tech
Louisiana
Louisiana-Monroe
Tulane
UAB
Southern Miss
Troy
South Alabama

7 division games, 2 crossovers, 3 OOC? Conf championship game followed by a playoff? I'm in. Looks like 4 "leagues" champ from each one in playoff to start. I think that would get attention.

This would be a dream come true...

16 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Southwest League (16)

Division 1
Tulsa
SMU
North Texas
UTSA
Texas State
Rice
Arkansas State
Memphis

Division 2

Louisiana Tech
Louisiana
Louisiana-Monroe
Tulane
UAB
Southern Miss
Troy
South Alabama

Since SMU and La Tech are the ones who would most likely complain - swap them out with each other and lets keep moving.

• Upvote 2

It would work except for some schools seeing themselves as "above" others.  La Tech would never be in a conference with La Monroe.  Same for New Mexico agreeing to be in a conference with New Mexico State.  SMU would rather cancel the program than join the conference suggested.

There is also the whole public vs private schools problem.  Many private schools maintain an attitude of superiority and would refuse to be in a conference with public/state schools.

It looks great on paper, but it will NEVER happen.

This just dropped an hour ago on Sports Illustrated:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/08/big-12-expansion-aac-mike-aresco-reaction

Though Aresco declined to reveal potential new members, the top options are likely to start with UAB, a rising power in the G5 located in the heart of the Deep South. Football success is an important piece to any new additions, as well as fan support and school resources. Several others may fit that mold, including Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Boise State, North Texas, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina and Arkansas State.

54 minutes ago, C Rod said:

This just dropped an hour ago on Sports Illustrated:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/08/big-12-expansion-aac-mike-aresco-reaction

I’m going to make it into another post. Seems worthy of its own discussion 

• Upvote 3