Littrell pre SMU Press Conference

meangreen11

4 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

He seems pretty confident heading into the SMU game.  If he is worried he seems to be hiding it well.

Really? My take was the opposite. He said something to the extent of “We’re going to have to play really wel for us to have a chance” (paraphrasing of course)

To me, it signals that he doesn’t have much confidence

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

Really? My take was the opposite. He said something to the extent of “We’re going to have to play really wel for us to have a chance” (paraphrasing of course)

You are not aware of standard coach speech?  Plus that statement is absolutely true, NT is a 20+ dog in the game. 

Under your definition, just about every coach is lacking confidence because they are going to take every precaution not to give the other team bulletin board material. 

Both SMU and NT, I am sure were very confident in a first game win; but neither is going to state the obvious: they should win by a bunch.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

It's Coach Speak 101.  Welcome to every coach's speech, every week, every year.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

It's Coach Speak 101.  Welcome to every coach's speech, every week, every year.

Ehh, coach speak is his typical “We need to play better in all three phases” “One day at a time” “One percent better every day” type stuff. He doesn’t say we need to play really well to have a chance about UTEP, Rice, Charlotte, and etc. 

Just my take though 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

Ehh, coach speak is his typical “We need to play better in all three phases” “One day at a time” “One percent better every day” type stuff. He doesn’t say we need to play really well to have a chance about UTEP, Rice, Charlotte, and etc. 

Just my take though 

That's true when talking about his own team.

Then, whenever a reporter asks something like, "what do you have to do to beat <XYZ team>?", or "What are you seeing when you watch <XYZ team> during preparations?"    Then you get these kinds of answers, buttering-up the other team, and criticizing his own.  
Coach can't just say, "Well, I see some serious weaknesses in their defensive front 7, so I know our running game is just going to destroy them".   

He does say the same things about UTEP, Rice, Charlotte, etc...   He says the same things about every team.  He says it about the FCS teams too.  Here he is buttering up NWSt's All-conference RB, then goes on to talk about needing to "tackle well", like that's something our guys struggle with.

• Upvote 1