Green Brigade @ SMU?

NTSU52

I read in the Summer online or somewhere that the fabulous Green Brigade Marching Band had 3 trips this academic year:  
••• SMU, La Tech & 🙄(updated) Ireland next Spring for a huge Irish Festival on St. Patrick’s Day. 🍀

Video•••This is what 2021 UNT Band Day would have (somewhat) looked like if not for 100 degrees all afternoon & near kick-off weather while 15-20?  high school bands were (politely) asked to go home to prevent heat strokes. (Smart move, UNT officials).  

The Green Brigade still stayed & put on a helluva’ show & their pre-game show stadium entrance was the best I ever saw in 4 decades.  Proud of em’ all.  (Sorry more tailgaters weren’t inside the stadium to see it). 

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, greengal said:

Word I got was that Dr. Smatresk would not allow it for fear of covid.  Not sure if that is true or not but sad to hear they won't make it.  We have a much better sounding band to me.

SMU doesn’t even have a legitimate band. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

17 minutes ago, Rudy said:

So, the band can sit together at Apogee with no issues, but Ford Field is magically a covid factory?

...similarly, you have to wear a mask while making your way around a restaurant, but if you're sitting down it's not necessary.

Lots of weird, faulty logic being tossed around.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

So we've got the closest road game (and one against our rival) on the schedule, and the Green Brigade won't be there?

That's a bad beat.

I get the COVID concern, but if North Texas is willing to have the full band together all day long in Denton, what's the difference with doing it in Dallas? 

On another note, maybe going forward, there should be something done to assure our band has the funding to support the team on the road. Ideally, they should be at /every/ game.

We've got a terrific, award-winning band with talented musicians every year. Why wouldn't the university want to put them in the spotlight?

I'm not saying it would be easy to figure out the logistics, but I know our team and fans would appreciate their support.

I for one enjoy having the Green Brigade at home games. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

And we wonder why people still question this university's commitment to football? We want to think UNT see's SMU as a rival and we don't even send our band. 

A couple of thoughts, the most obvious why risk the virus.  Before you rant about the band being at a home game, think about how the around 500 members would get to SMU.  

Probably decision is up to SMU, do they want to provide free tickets to 500 people, that will provide support for their opponent.  I doubt NT will buy tickets.

Very little to do with NT's commitment to football, mostly about risk and cost. 

8 hours ago, greengal said:

Word I got was that Dr. Smatresk would not allow it for fear of covid.  Not sure if that is true or not but sad to hear they won't make it.  We have a much better sounding band to me.

They are still planning on going to La Tech, so probably not. Could be but who knows

• Upvote 1