UTSA ROADRUNNERS

wardly

4 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Don't hit me when I say this but Seth's successful 1st and 2nd years were accomplished with a few pretty good players that McCarney recruited here.  Plus, he had some good assistant coaches and recruiters.

How did we fall so fast?

Did anyone notice the article @Brett Vito wrote regarding the change they made to Seth’s contract in the off-season?  If that does not spell out the situation he is in here I do not know what does.  Basically it is what you would call the “McCarmey Clause” in that it requires for Seth to go after a new job after being fired for cause which minimizes the UNT contract buyout significantly.  He’s worthier going to sink or swim and it will happen in the first 6-7 games.

• Upvote 2

Bad (I would even say lazy) asst coaching hires. 

As a G5 you gotta constantly hustle and keep things from regressing. He didn’t do that after year three. I’m still not sold he’s capable of being a complete head coach, not just one interested in the offense. Much less good at all the attention to detail stuff a good head coach needs. He probably should’ve hired an experienced PB type from day one. 

Having said all that he could still turn this around. Also the best NT teams had strong player leadership. Remains to be seen if we have that and where it comes from. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Don't hit me when I say this but Seth's successful 1st and 2nd years were accomplished with a few pretty good players that McCarney recruited here.  Plus, he had some good assistant coaches and recruiters.

How did we fall so fast?

Mc had some of the worst ranked recruiting classes in history. When Seth got here he had to build from scratch. One of the reasons we started an under sized freshman!

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

UTSA has some major advantages over the rest of the teams in CUSA that its not even funny. They play in a huge city in Texas with absolutely zero competition from other FBS teams within 2 counties, so they are guaranteed to get solid media coverage. They are in a destination city, so they can get better teams up the food chain to come there and play in a big stadium, even if its sucks as a venue. They don't have a legacy of losing to deal with, nor have they alienated their fanbase by dropping football down a level. and, now, they have a guy as head coach that is extremely tight with TX HS Coaches, who also appears to be a damn good x's and o's coach, too.

We could only dream of being the only FBS team in DFW, instead of being third on the list, meaning we might get mentioned in local media, but we might not. TCU and SMU get the coverage that is left after UT, A&M, OU, Tech, and Baylor get theirs. We have a beautiful stadium, but its small, too. And the nuclear bomb we dropped on the program in 1982 killed the fans we had from the 50's thru the 90's, basically. If you are a fan here from anytime before 1982, you are either as dedicated as a fan can be or you are a masochistic individual of the highest order, or both. 

• Upvote 5
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

UTSA has some major advantages over the rest of the teams in CUSA that its not even funny. They play in a huge city in Texas with absolutely zero competition from other FBS teams within 2 counties, so they are guaranteed to get solid media coverage. They are in a destination city, so they can get better teams up the food chain to come there and play in a big stadium, even if its sucks as a venue. They don't have a legacy of losing to deal with, nor have they alienated their fanbase by dropping football down a level. and, now, they have a guy as head coach that is extremely tight with TX HS Coaches, who also appears to be a damn good x's and o's coach, too.

We could only dream of being the only FBS team in DFW, instead of being third on the list, meaning we might get mentioned in local media, but we might not. TCU and SMU get the coverage that is left after UT, A&M, OU, Tech, and Baylor get theirs. We have a beautiful stadium, but its small, too. And the nuclear bomb we dropped on the program in 1982 killed the fans we had from the 50's thru the 90's, basically. If you are a fan here from anytime before 1982, you are either as dedicated as a fan can be or you are a masochistic individual of the highest order, or both. 

@untjim1995These are valid points that will get some on here pissed at you, but are a reason that UTSA might move up (AAC or MWC) before we do. Much like FAU and FIU, these are "destination" cities. These are considerations, and the fact hat there are no competing teams in the market makes a big difference.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

18 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

UTSA has some major advantages over the rest of the teams in CUSA that its not even funny. They play in a huge city in Texas with absolutely zero competition from other FBS teams within 2 counties, so they are guaranteed to get solid media coverage.

We could only dream of being the only FBS team in DFW, instead of being third on the list, meaning we might get mentioned in local media, 

They are third in their market behind UT and A&M. 

• Upvote 6
  • Ray 1

Just now, meanrob said:

Everything else you wrote isn’t even a factor.

They are 41-53 since joining CUSA. By your post they are Boise State. We beat them 45-3 two years ago. I’d argue we’re almost the same programs struggling to be relevant in a state crowded with college football teams. G5 is all about coaching hires. Period. 

I agree completely on coaching.

Coaches want to coach at places where you can win and get support. Getting good media coverage helps with fan support and recruiting. 

UTSA, if they don't make a poor hire, as they did with Frank Wilson, is far more capable of putting the advantages I mentioned above towards making a good hire than anyone else does in the Texas schools in the SBCUSA. Rice, UTEP, and UNT all have losing legacies to fight against. Rice and UNT, while sitting in recruiting hotbeds, sit way down on the totem pole for FBS schools in the state and region. UTEP truly has nothing to help them, as they sit in the middle of nowhere and have major history of losing in football for decades. Texas State obviously has a great location for recruiting, but they haven't moved the needle yet, as they sit literally between Austin and San Antonio, where they deal with the reality of being stuck behind both schools in those cities, much like we do in DFW behind TCU and SMU. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Mc had some of the worst ranked recruiting classes in history. When Seth got here he had to build from scratch. One of the reasons we started an under sized freshman!

That may be but we won a bowl game under Mac with a big fan turnout for the game.  Hey, I'm not rah rahing for Mac.  Just saying Seth benefitted from some of Mac's recruits.

• Upvote 4

Let's tap the breaks on how UTSA is bound for great things and moving to the AAC and then onto the SEC (I know its wasn't mentioned). UTSA very well might be headed in an upward trajectory and Coach Traylor is bound for greatness but lets not forget when Frank Wilson came in and won 6 games his first year, everyone thought he was the second coming of Jesus. Everyone was scared because of how great of a recruiter he was but ultimately that stalled out and he's coaching FCS now. UTSA was a total of 9 points away from losing 4 games last year. Would we be freaking out if they would of won 4 or 5 games last year?

UTSA is gonna UTSA and figure out a way to fail. If not and they keep winning Traylor is going onto Greener pastures and is going to leave the shit hole behind him to dry up and just be another pasture rock in south Texas. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Let's tap the breaks on how UTSA is bound for great things and moving to the AAC and then onto the SEC (I know its wasn't mentioned). UTSA very well might be headed in an upward trajectory and Coach Traylor is bound for greatness but lets not forget when Frank Wilson came in and won 6 games his first year, everyone thought he was the second coming of Jesus. Everyone was scared because of how great of a recruiter he was but ultimately that stalled out and he's coaching FCS now. UTSA was a total of 9 points away from losing 4 games last year. Would we be freaking out if they would of won 4 or 5 games last year?

UTSA is gonna UTSA and figure out a way to fail. If not and they keep winning Traylor is going onto Greener pastures and is going to leave the shit hole behind him to dry up and just be another pasture rock in south Texas. 

You hope. 

• Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1

In a way i think Litrell was unlucky with timing. It took him 3 years to figure out recruiting so his first two classes had some real hits, but no depth and the last 2 years records were a consequence of that. Now (and last year) that he would have been properly able to profit from all his 3* recruits (provided development was good, which is another discussion), transfer mania rules changed and slow roster building and knowing how to recruit high school players is all of a sudden worth much less and now he is getting lapped by people who would otherwise have had big holes in their roster.

That said, one could argue that he adapted a bit too slow and too little, which is very much on him.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

And the nuclear bomb we dropped on the program in 1982 killed the fans we had from the 50's thru the 90's, basically. If you are a fan here from anytime before 1982, you are either as dedicated as a fan can be or you are a masochistic individual of the highest order, or both. 

Half of our conference mates didn't even have football before 1982 and you guys still think the fanbase is living with the legacy of going to I-AA? Really? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Half of our conference mates didn't even have football before 1982 and you guys still think the fanbase is living with the legacy of going to I-AA? Really? 

Not only did dropping to 1-AA give us a horrible black-eye, it also exemplified the complete lack of support from the administration for athletics that continued even after we returned.  Between the timing of this (relative to what was happening across all of FB) and the fact that we didn't return with an immediately successful team (like Boise) has left us with a permanent "lower-tier" stigma that we may never be able to erase.

• Upvote 3