After a 2nd watch

El Paso Eagle

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

General observations

• Very basic on both sides of the ball
  • Ruder first INT - was hit as he was throwing by a "watch-out" block rusher who was basically untouched. Second INT was a good play by their #3. If our DB made that same play we would all be saying what a hell of a play it was. #3 is a solid DB
  • Several drops
  • I understand the thought of having Money keep the kickoffs in play but if we face someone with a good return man I hope he can put it deep in the end zone.
  • Special teams play was solid. Did not seem to be any major mistakes
  • I liked the way the D-line rotated in and out. 
  • If Torrey is going to be the main guy at RB should he be doing the KO returns?

Torrey doing KO returns was a huge red flag for me. Under no circumstances should Torrey be doing punt or KO returns.

• Upvote 7

On 9/5/2021 at 8:56 PM, peanuts104 said:

Yeah I don't know what the deal was but the refs definitely did not like us.

Did the refs  think they were in Natchitoches? 🤔

Perhaps these refs read GMG & think we’re as arrogant as the HogDawg crowd over at BB&B?  

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

After watching the game again yesterday, I came away a bit concerned with our RB depth.    I know that Johnson and Ragsdale are young and inexperienced.   But, we have had freshmen backs in the past look fantastic from the get go.   The OL was gashing the NW State D and only Torrey was really able to take advantage of that.    Just something to keep an eye on over the next few weeks as the opponents get much tougher.    Losing Adaway could end up being a big issue.

And yeah, those 2 PI calls were awful.

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Second INT was a good play by their #3. If our DB made that same play we would all be saying what a hell of a play it was. #3 is a solid DB

I’d disagree only on this thought. I feel like Ruder threw the ball behind the receiver and didn’t lead him enough.

Also there was another play, a fade route in the end zone to Jackson (#0) that I felt he should’ve thrown more towards the corner of the end zone. Could of been a touchdown in my opinion. 

Not ragging on Ruder though, there were plays the receivers didn’t help him at all with drop passes or bad routes. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenWarDaddy said:

I’d disagree only on this thought. I feel like Ruder threw the ball behind the receiver and didn’t lead him enough.

Agreed. I believe Ruder is our best chance at a winning record this season, but he threw the exact same ball a little earlier in the game and got away with it when it only got batted down. He’s either got to look the DB off of it and/or have better ball placement on the pass. And especially he should’ve learned from the first one. 

Now, I also would’ve liked for SOMEONE (OC/HC) to have seen that earlier throw and the DBs aggression on the route and called for a double-move, but I think we were running vanilla in this game. It also might have been intentional to see if Ruder could/would adjust. He didn’t. 

• Upvote 5

I am concerned about the drop off at RB too. Aside from a long runs for a TD, the two young guys were tackled at the line of scrimmage or for 2 yards. I expected something different from the fall camp reports. 

Agreed that Ruder was behind on those two exact routes. He didn't have any safety over the top, so he could have led the wr instead of trying to be so  precise.

Those deep passes, Ruder didn't look anywhere else, it looked like a set pass regardless of coverage.. i thought the wrs pulled up too early and ended up having to reach behind/above because they were them looking at the QB. 

I'm happy football is back!

Georgia is hit with covid positives.. 4 starters? UAB may get lucky in timing. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 5

13 hours ago, akriesman said:

After watching the game again yesterday, I came away a bit concerned with our RB depth.    I know that Johnson and Ragsdale are young and inexperienced.   But, we have had freshmen backs in the past look fantastic from the get go.   The OL was gashing the NW State D and only Torrey was really able to take advantage of that.    Just something to keep an eye on over the next few weeks as the opponents get much tougher.    Losing Adaway could end up being a big issue.

And yeah, those 2 PI calls were awful.

And what really sucks is we have to defend against Siggurs!  Dammit he would be are starter this season and Torrey would be at WR where we wouldn’t have all the drops.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1