Receiver/Tight End Production

BillySee58

When the two-deep came out this week there were 12 players listed between the wide receiver, tight end, and h-back positions. 9 out of these 12 players were P5 recruits or transfers when we signed them, 1 was just shy of that (Jyaire Shorter), and 2 were walkons (Burns and Pirtle).

Our two leading receivers yesterday were… the two former walkons. These two former walkons accounted for 142 of our 182 receiving yards yesterday. 

From 2016-2018 we had two receiver coaches; Joel Filani coaching outside receivers and Mainord coaching inside receivers, with no Tight Ends coach. After 2018, Filani left to go to Texas Tech and we hired Adrian Mayes to coach Tight Ends and made Mainord the only receivers coach, coaching both inside and outside guys. Since then our outside receiver production has been lacking. 

Mainord gets a lot of credit with Darden but at the same time he has higher caliber receiver recruits to work with then we have ever seen as long as recruit offer lists and ratings have been tracked online. He needs to start developing these guys and have the results to prove it. Same for Mays.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I've written and deleted 10 different things.

I think this group needs time. I am think year 2/year 3 of Ruder (completely assuming he's the guy going forward) is when things really start to get going on offense. 

I feel like you’re interpreting my post as “wow our passing game sucks. What gives?”

My point is this is year 3 of Mainord coaching the outside receivers in addition to the inside receivers, and in that time our outside receiver production has dropped off severely. In 2019 our top two receivers were inside guys (Darden and Lawrence) and our leading outside receiver only had 473 yards, last season our leading receiver only had 517 yards, and in our first game this year our outside receivers combined for 2 catches for 21 yards against an FCS team.

Yes I would expect the chemistry to improve and acknowledge this is the beginning point on the QB-receiver chemistry. I’m just saying we probably need to start holding our Associate HC/Co-OC under the microscope more. Especially as it relates to developing these heralded receiver recruits and getting production out of the outside receivers he has now been responsible for over the last 3 seasons.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I feel like you’re interpreting my post as “wow our passing game sucks. What gives?”

My point is this is year 3 of Mainord coaching the outside receivers in addition to the inside receivers, and in that time our outside receiver production has dropped off severely. In 2019 our top two receivers were inside guys (Darden and Lawrence) and our leading outside receiver only had 473 yards, last season our leading receiver only had 517 yards, and in our first game this year our outside receivers combined for 2 catches for 21 yards against an FCS team.

Yes I would expect the chemistry to improve and acknowledge this is the beginning point on the QB-receiver chemistry. I’m just saying we probably need to start holding our Associate HC/Co-OC under the microscope more. Especially as it relates to developing these heralded receiver recruits and getting production out of the outside receivers he has now been responsible for over the last 3 seasons.

I couldn’t agree more. The development of the WR group has been underwhelming. I wouldn’t give Mainord the credit of developing Darden. He was just different 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Good take."

tmjerm was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

Burns became one of my favorite players on this team last night.  Sure he had a false start and dropped a TD pass late, but he had a great motor, pretty good hands and runs good routes.  His body language just shows a will to win and he makes plays.  I was pretty disappointed in Shorter’s body language at times last night.  He got the ensuing false start and was thrown to the next play and just looked dejected both times.  Need him and Bush to step up and be legit downfield threats.  If that happens it opens up the underneath passing game and more importantly, the running attack gets even meaner.  Ruder didn’t throw perfect deep balls but those guys weren’t getting much separation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

I definitely think our outside receivers need to step up. I would, however, that in 2019 we lost our top outside WR (Bussey) to injury early in the year and then again in 2020 (Shorter), in addition to losing Bussey to transfer. 
That being said, there should be guys ready to step in and make up some of that production. We mostly just relied on Darden to make that up.

It is early and we had a conservative game plan, but Ruder need to lead the receivers better on deeper throws and our guys need to adjust when the ball is in the air and stop with the drops.  

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, GreenGang45 said:

I couldn’t agree more. The development of the WR group has been underwhelming. I wouldn’t give Mainord the credit of developing Darden. He was just different 

So you don't want to give him credit for Darden but want to blame him for the others. I bet you are one of those who thought that GH was not helping the team when he was here

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Some of the ball placement for our outside guys was poor to my eyes on Saturday. They had to come back and fight for touch passes rather than keep their separation from the DB. If they had been at the back of the end zone, the throw would’ve made sense. Each outside touch throw I saw was 5-10 yards short of where it should’ve been.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

When the two-deep came out this week there were 12 players listed between the wide receiver, tight end, and h-back positions. 9 out of these 12 players were P5 recruits or transfers when we signed them, 1 was just shy of that (Jyaire Shorter), and 2 were walkons (Burns and Pirtle).

Our two leading receivers yesterday were… the two former walkons. These two former walkons accounted for 142 of our 182 receiving yards yesterday. 

From 2016-2018 we had two receiver coaches; Joel Filani coaching outside receivers and Mainord coaching inside receivers, with no Tight Ends coach. After 2018, Filani left to go to Texas Tech and we hired Adrian Mayes to coach Tight Ends and made Mainord the only receivers coach, coaching both inside and outside guys. Since then our outside receiver production has been lacking. 

Mainord gets a lot of credit with Darden but at the same time he has higher caliber receiver recruits to work with then we have ever seen as long as recruit offer lists and ratings have been tracked online. He needs to start developing these guys and have the results to prove it. Same for Mays.

Our receivers outside of Burns were garbage including Jake Roberts, our line was so bad at keeping a clean pocket that Ruder couldn’t step into his throws which lead to back footed throws to create more space in the pocket, he was blindsided on his first INT.  Our receivers and line better shape up!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

5 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Some is chemistry, some is our receivers drop easy passes and some is our receivers can’t get separation. 

And none of it is Ruder.  Got it, and think I finally have it all figured out.  Glad to have you here Mrs. Ruder.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

And none of it is Ruder.  Got it, and think I finally have it all figured out.  Glad to have you here Mrs. Ruder.

Just glad this team has a qb worth a damn!  He had some off throws, I will give you that, but being blindsided and not having the ability to step up in the pocket because our line couldn’t maintain a pocket isn’t on him. Receivers dropping balls is not on him. Let’s blame him for what he should be blamed for. 

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So you don't want to give him credit for Darden but want to blame him for the others. I bet you are one of those who thought that GH was not helping the team when he was here

Lol you sound crazy. Some players you don’t have to develop they just have “IT” Darden was one of those. You can’t coach the things he was doing . And Graham was the one of the best things to happen to UNT he definitely was a major contributor. So wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, GreenGang45 said:

Lol you sound crazy. Some players you don’t have to develop they just have “IT” Darden was one of those. You can’t coach the things he was doing . And Graham was the one of the best things to happen to UNT he definitely was a major contributor. So wrong.

You honestly don't think the coaches help develop Darden? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GOMeanGO said:

Just glad this team has a qb worth a damn!  He had some off throws, I will give you that, but being blindsided and not having the ability to step up in the pocket because our line couldn’t maintain a pocket isn’t on him. Receivers dropping balls is not on him. Let’s blame him for what he should be blamed for. 

Anyone else think we could just boot GoMeanGo, replace him with a Mad Lib generator, and see no difference in content?  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Y'all hating on GoMeanGo, but I'm tired of business as usual around here.  I recognize he's a little coo-coo, but appreciate the fire.

Stop settling! We are in year 6 of this!

People hate on him because he feels the need to trash our players he doesn't think are as good as someone he supports.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1