418 yards??

Wag Tag

Giving up 418yds, with over 200yds rushing is very concerning. Sounds like we were getting gashed out wide which was one of our big problems last year. Our D line needs to dominate this type of opponent. Have not heard Nor mentioned? This should of been an opportunity for him to pad stats! I have confidence in PB and it will get better. GMG 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I’m with you.  The 200 yards rushing is a tough one….and those are a lot of yards to give up.  

Optimist/Green Glasses:  Defense also had 4 turnovers (and another on special teams).  Give up that many yards, but get the ball back for the offense?  I know it’s tough to count on turnovers on a consistent basis, but the aggressiveness seemed coached. 

• Upvote 2

The Phil Bennett defense is about getting stops on 3rd downs and causing turnovers. We will give up big plays, but also have big stops. This was the philosophy he spoke about with David Smoak prior to the spring. I appreciated how aggressive the guys were playing. I think the defense is moving in the right direction. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Please correct me if im wrong (working on a  beer influenced memory here) but didnt they score both TD's on long runs?  Take those two plays away and they are not near 200 yards and maybe shoutout.  Again i might be completely off base here though.

Yeh - that's true. But if we give the same acceptance to us, we only were in the is red zone twice, I think. We only scored on big plays too. We didn't have much in the way of a consistent offense. It was a strange game.

• Upvote 1

Under no stretch of the imagination is NWS a good team, not even in their division. 

So despite some opinions that the defense is improving, I need a lot more proof than giving up 418 yds to FCS school. 

However after a shaky start, the NT defense did get much better until the substitutions in the 4th qtr. 

I think the FCS football teams overall are better, primarily because of the number of transfers that they are getting.  NWS for example, their transfers seemed to me at least as good if not better than NT's.  That transfer running back they had appears faster than anyone on the NT roster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

22 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Please correct me if im wrong (working on a  beer influenced memory here) but didnt they score both TD's on long runs?  Take those two plays away and they are not near 200 yards and maybe shoutout.  Again i might be completely off base here though.

After the one where we got gashed up the middle on an all-out blitz, as the defense was coming off the field, Bennett came out to meet them patting his chest.  Like he was saying, “That was on me.”  Hopefully lapses like that can be corrected & practiced before SMU.

If I’m SMU though, I’m testing NTs defense outside the tackles, because NWSt was getting some nice gains out there.

• Sad 1
  • Pissed 1

Good teams will not turn the ball over 4 time?  Allowing 412 yards to an FCS school is concerning….you can’t count on Torrey rushing to 200 plus yards. Someone said this defense is built to create turnovers and make stops on 3rd downs. I guess we will see. But this is the 6th year of SL defense, I think I’m at the point where I just say “it is what it is” 

• Sad 1

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Much needed optimism."

WanderingEagle was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 15 points.

19 minutes ago, drex said:

Why don't we just forfeit to SMU and move on to UAB.

image.png.f42c34ebefbb14e91cdbf1099c7eac3a.png

Because we're not babies and once every so often we kick their pony ass and revel in the delight and joy that it brings.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2