Game day issues

glick1980

Yeah - like the team, the rust needs to be shaken off, even on the game day operations. 

I'm pretty hard to piss off when it comes to lil event "hiccups", but, I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATEEEEEE IT when audio stuff doesnt work, it just sets me off, whether it's the PA guy and/or the refs mics.    I've said this before but holy crap...It's 2021.   We talked to Men on the friggen MOON fifty years ago, with no issues, so why is this type of technology so hard to get nailed down???????????  Isnt that what a "Mic/Sound Check" is for?   To work out these bugs?

Other Comments:

I get the PA announcer is "finding his own style..." but, yeah, someone needs to give him some notes/comments.   A very simple thing he would do is JUST say "Torrey the ball carrier..."...That's it?   How about "Torrey the ball carrier, gain of 3 yards...Second down, Seven..."  i actually prefer the PA to say that rather than me having to constantly look to see what down it is/yards to go...

Really liked the Green Brigade Pre-Game, but then exited the field, before the team came on...So the team ran on to the field to that fight song recording that sounds like it was made in 1981.   Anyone know the reason behind this?  Is this some kinda Covid thing, like "we dont want the band AND the team to be in that close of contact, just too many people..."  Just speculating and curious. 

Speaking of the Green Brigade, what was up with the Stand-Still performance at halftime?  Again, was that some kinda Covid-restriction thing - or - just a "this is the very first game and we dont have the halftime show completely worked out yet" kinda thing?

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 7

I agree, the audio issues are embarrassing. The whole presentation is so disjointed. A video will start and then stop midstream or they'll start a video while a play develops on the field. Ugh. Thank goodness Tim Crouch is gone, hopefully this new PA guy will find his stride. 

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

Speaking of the Green Brigade, what was up with the Stand-Still performance at halftime?  Again, was that some kinda Covid-restriction thing - or - just a "this is the very first game and we dont have the halftime show completely worked out yet" kinda thing?

I think the lack of halftime show was a heat thing. There was also a high school special event that was canceled due to kids passing out during pre game rehearsal.  I’m just speculating, though. 🤷🏽‍♂️

EC9A950E-501D-43EC-B029-CB83EA5A5BF6.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Felozano said:

I think the lack of halftime show was a heat thing. There was also a high school special event that was canceled due to kids passing out during pre game rehearsal.  I’m just speculating, though. 🤷🏽‍♂️

EC9A950E-501D-43EC-B029-CB83EA5A5BF6.jpeg

ok - and I get it, that makes sense...thanks for the update.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I heard our new PA guy was calling quarters stanzas? Like “at the end of the first stanza, our score is…”

Can anyone confirm? If true, that would drive me absolutely crazy. We’re at a football game, not a poetry reading. 

I do remember him saying the end of the third stanza... I was like WTF? Yes, the audio last night was embarrassing and the stat board never updated. pretty basic things to do. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I heard our new PA guy was calling quarters stanzas? Like “at the end of the first stanza, our score is…”

Can anyone confirm? If true, that would drive me absolutely crazy. We’re at a football game, not a poetry reading. 

He did it all night!  Also did not announce the quarterback name on plays.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, glick1980 said:

I thought the team played fine, but there were a ton of game day issues last night.

PA system didn’t work on starting lineup introductions.

Announcer was subpar - did not do first down call we are all accustomed to.

Stats on the small scoreboard were not updated after the first quarter.  All individual stats had our player names as #asdf.  How can this not be tested prior to the game?

Trash cans were never emptied and were all overflowing at the end of the game.  Trash was stacked outside of the trash cans.

We can and should do better.

These are spot on and everything you’re saying had me disappointed as well. Also, the stats on the small scoreboard you’re referring to were messed up the last time we played as well.

During that UTEP game at the end of last season that small scoreboard was displaying stats from the SMU game. So this isn’t exactly strike one there. I wasn’t at the La Tech before that one, do not sure if that scoreboard was accurate for that game at least.

Here is a picture of that scoreboard, taken in the 4th quarter. Also the second digit in our score was not lit up. We get 6 of these a year. Feels small time to have all of these issues after a 10-month offseason.

8A6AF054-2916-4A28-A4E2-8C222F65B709.jpeg

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Not a gameday issue but still annoying.. our YouTube account posted maybe the worst highlight reel I’ve ever seen. Most show a play that’s either already halfway done and some are basically over! Ex: there’s a sack highlight that starts while our player is mid hit. 

Agreed, one of the worst highlight videos I’ve seen.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, NTSU52 said:

What was the issue with Tim? He was way better than the new dude…

He was really bad at identifying the players. For example, I remember hearing against SMU “pass incomplete. Intended for… Amani Gilmore.” 

I get confusing number 9 (Simpson) for number 8 (Gilmore) but you’re the PA announcer for the team. Simpson is a starting receiver and you’re misidentifying him on a pass play with our redshirting 5th string QB? He doesn’t have to know as much about the team as we do but come on, that leads me to believe he does zero research in between games and just shows up on game day relying solely on the printed roster he is given.

Again, this was also not a one-off issue, just an example.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Not a gameday issue but still annoying.. our YouTube account posted maybe the worst highlight reel I’ve ever seen. Most show a play that’s either already halfway done and some are basically over! Ex: there’s a sack highlight that starts while our player is mid hit. 

Agreed!

I remember complaining about our old highlight reels that were way too long and would include mundane stuff like 4 yard runs. I’d take one of those over whatever the crap they put out for last night’s game. 

1 hour ago, NTSU52 said:

What was the issue with Tim? He was way better than the new dude…

I liked Tim because he was always part of the sounds of Mean Green football.  However, he’s started losing his edge over the past couple years.  He’s started saying wrong names, miscalling events in the field, etc.  

I believe the “new dude” is the PA guy from the women’s basketball games.  I’ve always liked his deep pipes. He has some work to do to catch up with our traditions, but he’ll get there. 

BTW, I liked it late in the game when he said the tackle was made by the Law Firm of Davis & Davis.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt said:

That's interesting as my girlfriend and I were desperately wanting the old announcer back. I thought he lacked energy and was kind of boring to listen to. I understand that they're probably paying money for this, but I also didn't care for the "First State Bank First Down" or whichever sponsor it was. 

I never cared for the old announcer until last night when I found out what the replacement would be like.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

He was really bad at identifying the players. For example, I remember hearing against SMU “pass incomplete. Intended for… Amani Gilmore.” 

I get confusing number 9 (Simpson) for number 8 (Gilmore) but you’re the PA announcer for the team. Simpson is a starting receiver and you’re misidentifying him on a pass play with our redshirting 5th string QB? He doesn’t have to know as much about the team as we do but come on, that leads me to believe he does zero research in between games and just shows up on game day relying solely on the printed roster he is given.

Again, this was also not a one-off issue, just an example.

That was probably a spotter issue and not a him issue.

• Upvote 4