Took care of business

mustangfan

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Wow!  That is impressive.  

Impressive that, in a city of 1.3 million, “Dallas’ Team”  couldn’t get any of them to care about the first home game.  

Don’t worry, we’ll bring the crowd for you like we always do.  

Attendance smack from a school with 10x the students and alumni but no better attendance is embarrassing. What's next, band smack?  How about uniforms?  Stadium design?  Academics?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Attendance smack from a school with 10x the students and alumni but no better attendance is embarrassing. What's next, band smack?  How about uniforms?  Stadium design?  Academics?

Congrats on the 22K announced attendance! After 2 years of success, you would think the stands would be packed! Right?!

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

SMU really has 4,000 students? Or does UNT have 110,000? Maybe you skipped remedial math?

Getting literal does not actually help you here. SMU has about 6000 undergrads (19% of stadium) and UNT has about 32,000 (over 100% of stadium capacity).

SMU claims 57,000 alumni in the DFW area.   The only number I could find for UNT was "407k with 70% in DFW" which would be 285,000.

So if you get half of the undergrads to show up and 20% of all alumni in DFW we have the following:

SMU: 14,400

UNT:. 73,000

So when we both draw 20,000 against an FCS team, who should be more embarrassed?

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Getting literal does not actually help you here. SMU has about 6000 undergrads (19% of stadium) and UNT has about 32,000 (over 100% of stadium capacity).

SMU claims 57,000 alumni in the DFW area.   The only number I could find for UNT was "407k with 70% in DFW" which would be 285,000.

So if you get half of the undergrads to show up and 20% of all alumni in DFW we have the following:

So when we both draw 20,000 against an FCS team, who should be more embarrassed?

UNT is coming off two 4 win seasons. SMU is coming off two years where they were ranked in the top 25 sometime during the season. The anticipation is high for SMU and not so much for UNT.

The answer to your question is SMU.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

So I think SMUt smack talk is a waste of time but this caught my attention. Did SMUt become a Carnegie Tier 1 research university overnight and I missed it? Or Baylor and TCU? I mean what is the purpose of these small private schools? Expensive does not equal value. 
Research and graduate education is the future of higher education. What role do you small private schools play? I guess DFW has an endless need for douchey business school grads, so I guess you have that going for you, although NT has put serious investment into our business school. 
Look I have some modicum of respect for the limited role SMUt plays in DFW society but don’t act like SMUt academics are soooo much better. You are more selective for undergrad admissions but what do you offer for real scholars or scientists?  I am sure your Ministry and Pastoral Music programs are pretty sweet ass sweet but overall, you guys are nothing special. Anyone can pay to attend SMUt. Just not sure how your Izod university serves the greater good. 

Oh and also, our stadium does kick your stadium’s ass, as does our band. Also, your braggart Dallas uniforms are cute (ignoring that no one in Dallas cares about your team other than the DMN because they have a giant erection for the glory days of the SWC. On that note all former SWC schools are Tier 1 except the privates, who think that “elite” undergrad prestige is what a university is supposed to be about, rather than contributing to the greater good of society and our nation through inclusive education and research.)

So eat a bag of dicks and call me when someone actually attends your games. Despite our attendance issues, we outnumber you at Ford some years. You definitely can’t say the same. We all have attendance problems (my seats were empty bc I serve our country 11 time zones away) but so do most programs. Good for you for trying to convince Dallas that they care about you by telling them they care about you with a uniform patch. You guys are awesome. We may envy you in some ways and we want your conference spot (or better really) but at the end of it all we can hopefully hold our heads high and say we invested in our academics and made DFW and Texas a more educated and vibrant place. And you can tell everyone how much they wish they could have gone to SMUt if only they had the money or connections for undergrad. (But not for grad school, because…)

PS yes our band is better and doesn’t dress like Mr Peppermint. Mr. Peppermint was a badass but perhaps not the correct inspiration for a college marching band.

Get hyped about your Carnegie tier if you want, but you know, or perhaps you don't, it's a rating of research funding, not quality, nor student quality, nor educational quality. I'd point out that UofH is also a Carnegie tier 1, but to someone with a UNT degree comparing to Houston isn't an insult.  Anyone who has done any hiring can tell you where UNT resumes go on the stack outside of music or RadioTVFilm.  Small privates do less research than huge state funded institutions. Shocking. 

Though it IS shocking that all all that research funding still puts UNT place 8-10 in most grad programs. 

But here we are. Academic smack. Guess we know how you feel about the game Saturday. 

31 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Anyone who has done any hiring can tell you where UNT resumes go on the stack outside of music or RadioTVFilm. 

Interesting. Because, as Sr. Director of finance for a fortune 100 company in the area, I can attest 110% that the University degree between us is absolute bullshit. That prestigious SMU school of business degree smells just like a UNT one.

The difference is ethic. More of my SMU hires end up entitled (no sh*t... Right?), while my small town college guys end up working their asses off to succeed. 

If anything, its not the guy from UNT or SMU who ends up in my resume stack. It's the guy who put himself through UTA, rather than the trust fund baby, I hire.

Edit: so yeah, think before you spew made up BS. it just makes you look like an entitled idiot.

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Interesting. Because, as Sr. Director of finance for a fortune 100 company in the area, I can attest 110% that the University degree between us is absolute bullshit. That prestigious SMU school of business degree smells just like a UNT one.

The difference is ethic. More of my SMU hires end up entitled (no sh*t... Right?), while my small town college guys end up working their asses off to succeed. 

If anything, its not the guy from UNT or SMU who ends up in my resume stack. It's the guy who put himself through UTA, rather than the trust fund baby, I hire.

Edit: so yeah, think before you spew made up BS. it just makes you look like an entitled idiot.

This is spot on.   I think the only real difference comes into play when a hiring company is part of the SMU alumni network.   But, the world is a large place and outside of the Dallas area, the degrees have the same value IMO.      

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Let’s have the whole conversation, shall we.  

If you took all “285,000” alumni AND all 32,000 undergrads AND all 136,000 Denton residents…then an attendance of 20,000 for North Texas is pretty depressing*

*Depressing until you compare it to a school situated smack dab in the center of a city of 1,300,000, that has pushed their “pony up” campaign into every other city/town they can desperately reach out to (including Denton), and is coming off actual winning seasons, and was playing an FCS team from THIS state…and still can’t get anyone to give a damn

GIF by Leroy Patterson

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

No, they don't understand math, unless it's in the form of a word math problem and you're using hookers.

If Craig kills 5 hookers, Reginald has 8 pop-collar shirts, and J-Dub gets 3 Corvettes for transferring to SMU, how many how many times does Dale Hansen get to appear on Ellen for being "woke"?

• Upvote 3

Both schools have good academics and each one has areas of expertise.  That being said the diversity of programs offered by UNT and the diversity of students far exceeds that of smu.  UNT is a superior school in my opinion but then again I might be biased.  The wheel does turn and I believe it is going to continue turning in our direction.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Golly! How in Peruna’s holy name would we carry on if this thing were a real (bonafide) rivalry?😂   ❇️ See all you fellow & sister Greenies at G. Ford this Saturday evening.  

••• Last evening was not the Green Brigade just outstanding & downright purdy in their new unis’? And then that Big 10 marching band-style triple time sprint (see video) by 400+ bandsmen onto the Apogee field for their pre-game show? Wow!
Some of us been begging for that Big 10 marching band-like entrance for decades with 4-5 prior Band Directors.  Dr. Cook made it happen. (Right, Silver Eagle)?

❇️ VIDEO:  Here is the Green Brigade about 15 minutes before kickoff while there are a few thousand under the stadium in both concession areas & outside Apogee on “the Hill” tailgating.  It was still about 100 degrees at this point.

2021 BAND DAY? NO DICE!  COULD THEY STILL RESCHEDULE IT IN OCTOBER OR EARLY NOVEMBER?

About 15 HS bands many of whom were passing out like flies in the afternoon practice were asked (for safety concerns) to just board their busses & go on home.  Smart move.
GOMEANGREEN! 🦅
BEAT THE GELDINGS! 🐎 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Embarrassing is being so eat up with us that you post here religiously including game highlights. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, DentonStang said:  Anyone who has done any hiring can tell you where UNT resumes go on the stack outside of music or RadioTVFilm. 

I do a lot of hiring and have hired two SMU grads. Both, as noted in another post, were entitled and wanted everything handed to them. Didn’t understand hard work or how to take initiative.  Haven’t hired another. Then again, I honestly rarely see a resume with SMU on it anymore now that I am not in the DFW market.