DRC: Five thoughts on UNT's win over Northwestern State

Brett Vito

Receivers need to create more opportunities and Ruder needs more self confidence.  The run game is ready but needs help from the passing game. Torrey was hot. Defense did in fact look improved but needs a leader on the field to keep the unit focused and avoid those avoidable break downs .  Some great individual effort seen tonight in run stops.

• Upvote 7

Disciplined. The defense looked more focused and disciplined than in years past. Offense did okay which sounds weird for 44 points. But it was a methodical night. Good solid performance nice energy in the crowd. Great job Green Brigade/ looked sharp and members had fun. Nice job.

GMG

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

52 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

No impressed with the new announcer at the game.  "Eight minutes left in the 3rd stanza".  

He was very forced, "Law Firm of Davis and Davis".

Also it was weird that at the top of every series he decided to announce who the tailback was who was in the game, but coming out of half didn't even announce the QB, which is standard. 

And yea, "stanza".

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Also it was weird that at the top of every series he decided to announce who the tailback was who was in the game, but coming out of half didn't even announce the QB, which is standard. 

And yea, "stanza".

Yeah, far too much schtick 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

And yea, "stanza".

Really didn't like it. What happened to the old PA guy? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GOMeanGO said:

My honest observations.

1) Run blocking was great the pass blocking was not great, guys were in Ruders face so he couldn’t step into passes in the pocket.

2) we played it vanilla because we are holding back for SMUT. Ruder has wheels and an arm. reminds me of Driscoll from FAU a couple years back, I see a lot of RPO coming, so why show anyone our new playcalls considering we have never had a real dual threat in a SL offense.

3) Torrey looked real good, glad he stepped up in place of Addaway

4) our receivers are dropping easy catches, was really disappointed in Jake Roberts, didn’t look as good as Pirtle to me.

5) Defense was bend but don’t break, but much improved 

6) I love we have a DC that teaches all players what to do, not just the starters

7) We did what was needed to be done, walked out with the W!  I’m excited to see how we open it up against SMUT. Call me crazy! I think we hang 30 or more on them. I have a good feeling.

FOR OUR Fans

Those who have downvoted me and made claims Aune is better than Ruder need to realize Aune isn’t better than Ruder and he will never start another UNT game again unless Ruder is injured. Hate him or love him, Ruder is the best QB to come to UNT since Mason left. If I am wrong I will own it. Ruder could have easily picked somewhere else to play. That being said! Kudos to SL for sticking with him. 

I think you’re right about Ruder. Aune looked good when he came in, but he also has some history/chemistry with the receivers. Ruder will find his own groove with the receivers and it’s going to electric when it happens! GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, MeanMag said:

Pretty much agree.

Ragsdale had a good game as well.

Aune had some real nice throws - I thought his arm looked better than Ruder tonight in the short amount of time played. I highly doubt anyone hates Ruder, so those comments seem a bit extreme. His TD pass to Burns was perfectly placed for the traffic Burns was in, and Burns made a great catch. Ruder looked real comfortable running, but threw behind a couple of receivers in the middle, and threw an interception when he probably should have just taken a sack. That said, we are in pretty good hands with our QB situation and no one will complain about that. I think the QBs are pretty close talent-wise. Hopefully that makes them both better.

There were far too many dropped passes on good throws from both QBs. Ruder certainly would have had a better night if his receivers had a better night. WR, TE, and RBs need to catch more balls that hit their hands. Maybe we just got spoiled with Darden.

Loved seeing pressure from the defensive front. The defensive line activity and stunts and blitzes forced some bad decisions from their QB, but also left some spots of the field open for a couple of big plays.

What bothered me is that our pass protection was awful, I can’t blame Ruder for the first one, he was hit as he released and it came blindside.  He didn’t see it. Our line can run block, but they need more work on pass pro! They need to line up the Murphy twins against the tackles all week long and make them practice pass pro.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Felozano said:

I think you’re right about Ruder. Aune looked good when he came in, but he also has some history/chemistry with the receivers. Ruder will find his own groove with the receivers and it’s going to electric when it happens! GMG!

If you compare him to Ugiliahili of Clemson, Rattler against Tulane, Sam Howell of UNC, those fans have a reason to be worried, they weren’t suppose to be that bad, our guy hasn’t played in two years and has just practiced with us for 3 weeks, watching Ruder run, I honestly think he’s almost as fast as Bean.  I thin SL is really holding things back for our next game.  I think things were vanilla for a reason. Aune was 2 for 6, I’m not exactly understanding how everyone is saying he was better than Ruder. Aune and Ruder have similar arm talent, but Ruder has wheels and Aune doesn’t. That’s the difference.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

If you compare him to Ugiliahili of Clemson, Rattler against Tulane, Sam Howell of UNC, those fans have a reason to be worried, they weren’t suppose to be that bad, our guy hasn’t played in two years and has just practiced with us for 3 weeks, watching Ruder run, I honestly think he’s almost as fast as Bean.  I thin SL is really holding things back for our next game.  I think things were vanilla for a reason. Aune was 2 for 6, I’m not exactly understanding how everyone is saying he was better than Ruder. Aune and Ruder have similar arm talent, but Ruder has wheels and Aune doesn’t. That’s the difference.

I like Ruder too, and am glad he’s our starter, but the bolded part above is some of the most extreme homerism I’ve seen.  

If Ruder was as fast as Bean he would have had at least one TD on those scrambles.  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

I honestly think he’s almost as fast as Bean. 

There may not be any D1 QB that plays as fast as Bean.   I am not saying Bean is a good QB or that I miss him here (I don't).   But, once he has an opening, he is gone.    I have certainly never seen that before at NT.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:32 AM, GOMeanGO said:

7) We did what was needed to be done, walked out with the W!  I’m excited to see how we open it up against SMUT. Call me crazy! I think we hang 30 or more on them. I have a good feeling.

I think we need 40+ to have any chance this week.    I think our D is improved.  But, SMU may have the best offense we play this year.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I like Ruder too, and am glad he’s our starter, but the bolded part above is some of the most extreme homerism I’ve seen.  

If Ruder was as fast as Bean he would have had at least one TD on those scrambles.  

He wasn’t trying to run for a touchdown, he was just trying to get a first down. Kyle Shanahan preseason told Trey Lance not to show off his mobility during the preseason unless he is about to get hammered in the back field because he doesn’t want teams to have film on him, could SL be doing the same for Ruder? That offense was very vanilla. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2

3 minutes ago, akriesman said:

There may not be any D1 QB that plays as fast as Bean.   I am not saying Bean is a good QB or that I miss him here (I don't).   But, once he has an opening, he is gone.    I have certainly never seen that before at NT.

I think we need 40+ to have any chance this week.    I think our D is improved.  But, SMU may have the best offense we play this year.

We shall see next game, I have a feeling we go RPO heavy and we let Ruder run a bit.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GOMeanGO said:

He wasn’t trying to run for a touchdown, he was just trying to get a first down. Kyle Shanahan preseason told Trey Lance not to show off his mobility during the preseason unless he is about to get hammered in the back field because he doesn’t want teams to have film on him, could SL be doing the same for Ruder? That offense was very vanilla. 

The guy who is trying to prove himself as our full-time starter held back his legit track speed (because that’s what Jason Bean has) because his coach “didn’t want teams to have film on him?”

Lies No GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

Not worried about the offense....we are going to score all year no matter who is playing.

This on the other hand is quite worrisome:

261 yard rushing (5.3 average) to Northwestern State.

Very bend but don’t break on this game, but it’s the lowest amount of points allowed in a UNT opener under SL I’ll take it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

The guy who is trying to prove himself as our full-time starter held back his legit track speed (because that’s what Jason Bean has) because his coach “didn’t want teams to have film on him?”

Lies No GIF

Did you not see the box where it showed Ruder was a track star in high school? Bean had to run cuz his arm is garbage, dude labors to throw it 15 yards. And the proving is over he is our QB, time to get behind him.

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

I hope you are right.  This is going to be the worst offense we face all year.

UTEP is pretty awful.  I think Bennett’s philosophy is give up 3 not 7, the times they did score it was off sell out blitzes. If your going to screw up, screw up big!  All of this is a teachable moment! I have faith!

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Did you not see the box where it showed Ruder was a track star in high school? Bean had to run cuz his arm is garbage, dude labors to throw it 15 yards. And the proving is over he is our QB, time to get behind him.

Why do you feel the need to trash others to build up Ruder?  Bean's arm isn't as strong as Ruder's but it was far from trash, and he ran because he has freaking blazing speed.  I was frustrated that SL didn't take better advantage of Bean's speed, speed that not many on the field had.  Be a fan of Ruder, be his biggest cheerleader, but why be overly critical of others to build him up?  I don't get it.

• Upvote 4