I don’t know how to feel.

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

Any concerns about our rushing defense?

Yes they have up over 200 which is way too much for a division 2 team.

One thing I did notice on their defense was they had two very tall cornerbacks and it seemed like Jyaire and the guys were struggling to get open.  Need to fix that this week.

• Upvote 1

Post game radio - coach said the WRs were limited in playing time on purpose - precautionary. 

Also of note, Torrey kept saying how he was turning broken plays into long runs because of his cut back ability. Then Ruder came on later and mentioned that Torrey kept saving broken plays. Interesting...

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Post game radio - coach said the WRs were limited in playing time on purpose - precautionary. 

Also of note, Torrey kept saying how he was turning broken plays into long runs because of his cut back ability. Then Ruder came on later and mentioned that Torrey kept saving broken plays. Interesting...

Torrey was doing everything yesterday. Him and Burns are gonna be huge for this team.

And I’m glad I listened to Seth when he was talking up Burns in fall camp. He’s really good

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

So basically the offense was worse than they looked last night due to lack of execution? That’s what I get from this. Anybody else?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

21 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

So basically the offense was worse than they looked last night due to lack of execution? That’s what I get from this. Anybody else?

That's how I took it.

• Upvote 2

I have less optimism than I did before this game. But hope springs eternal. Mordecai threw for 7 TDs for Smut against FCS and our guy struggled at times and receivers consistently dropped passes. But maybe all the Ponies get food poisoning?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

ACU started a Freshman QB as well. Definitely some hope for next week. Do I expect to win? No. Do I expect us to make the game competitive? Yes. However, Seth usually has us blown out against SMU by halftime so we’ll see. 

Yeah, maybe we can finally start playing before we're down 24-7 halfway through the second qtr.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, All About UNT said:

SMU is going to wax our ass next weekend.  Just in case some people need to hear that in advance. 

Joe, I think you are completely correct. 

I lost confidence in our team, so much was suspect. D looked the worst, I imagine SMU will stuff the line and force us to pass. I see lots of turnovers in our future.  Hopefully our QB was just rusty.  

3 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Joe, I think you are completely correct. 

I lost confidence in our team, so much was suspect. D looked the worst, I imagine SMU will stuff the line and force us to pass. I see lots of turnovers in our future.  Hopefully our QB was just rusty.  

The D scared me the most too. Playing "on instinct" as a coaching style is going to rough. I like that we got more pressure and thus more sacks and TFLs, but a better team will exploit that hardcore. 

We are in trouble next week.

• Upvote 2

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Nice analysis of the game."

MeanGreen2019 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 15 points.

After letting last night digest and settle, I’m less optimistic about our performance than previously thought. More so about our offense.

I think the defense showed promise. There were some things to clean up for sure, but overall we gave up 14 points. The last two years we gave up 31 points to FCS schools. Yeah we gave up like 200+ rushing yards, but we also gave up 170 rushing yards against Lamar in 2018, the best defense we’ve had under Littrell. There will always be something to work on no matter who we play, but overall the defense looked to be drastically improved in many fundamental areas.

The offense on the other hand is very worrying to me. Bloesch is a first time Offense Coordinator at the FBS level and it showed last night. The running game was great, but it didn’t look like the Littrell Air Raid System we’ve grown accustomed to seeing over the last 5-6 years. The short passing game was solid, but there were no roll out bombs and very few deep shots. When we did go deep, it looked disjointed. My question is, was this the game-plan to call more conservative plays and stick to the surface level of the playbook? Or was Littrell/Bloesch not wanting to give SMU anything? I’m hoping for the latter, but overall I’m really concerned with offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2