***Official Northwestern State vs UNT GAME THREAD***

Harry

I thought the defense was solid. And the tackling/gang tackling was MUCH improved from the last few years.  Defense pitched a shut out the 2nd half.  Due to halftime adjustments, or opponent fatigue?  Both?

Torrey is a beast. Shifty, breaks tackles, quick, and fast!  He’s fun to watch. 

Ruder has a nice arm and good wheels. Wish he led his receivers a bit more, but I thought he made good safe decisions with where to throw the ball. 

Excited to watch this team mature and grow this season!  GMG!

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Felozano said:

I thought the defense was solid. And the tackling/gang tackling was MUCH improved from the last few years.  Defense pitched a shut out the 2nd half.  Due to halftime adjustments, or opponent fatigue?  Both?

Torrey is a beast. Shifty, breaks tackles, quick, and fast!  He’s fun to watch. 

Ruder has a nice arm and good wheels. Wish he led his receivers a bit more, but I thought he made good safe decisions with where to throw the ball. 

Excited to watch this team mature and grow this season!  GMG!

This was mostly what I felt too. Ruder got better as he settled in. Most people forget he only had 10 career snaps before this game. Defense was much more attacking then in years past. We need to do a better job covering gaps and playing man coverage but these will get better. Not bad D considering we were the worst in FBS last year. If you said we would hold NSU to 14 points I take it every day of the week

• Upvote 2

So, got a bit of NW insight from an alumnus.

Their running back #25 (Scooter Adams) was pretty solid last year, having 2 100yd games out of the 6 games he played in.

They had a QB (I think a nUTSAck transfer) that was to be the expected starter but he ended up being academically ineligible.  Not sure how long they had to plan for his replacement, but I gather it was a relatively recent change.

• Upvote 1

I would much rather take last night's performance over a 57-31 score like Houston Baptist last year. I think the defense was much improved but I know most if not all of our remaining opponents won't fumble the ball away four times, and will finish all the scoring opportunities that Northwestern State let slip away. Don't remember seeing the defense get as many sacks or force as many turnovers as we did last night. Also happy the defense didn't let the Demons sneak in a buzzer-beater TD at the end.

I was OK with not opening up the playbook much and forcing Ruder to make mistakes. The OL played great and let Torrey shine, allowed no sacks and really the only bad play that stands out was the hit that led to Ruder's first interception.

Overall, I'm hopeful for a 2-4 record at least over the next six and that we will see a lot of green in Dallas next weekend as the crowd wasn't particularly amped up last night.

• Upvote 3

On 9/4/2021 at 10:56 PM, Pavlovs Eagle said:

And we wonder why people still purposely/accidentally slip in NTSU references into modern broadcasts.

Like The Flying Worm, lose the NTSU brand.

Is there any other school that does that with throwbacks?  Put the old school name on clothing/uniforms?  Or do they all just put the color scheme/logo and keep the current name?

On 9/4/2021 at 10:56 PM, Pavlovs Eagle said:

And we wonder why people still purposely/accidentally slip in NTSU references into modern broadcasts.

Like The Flying Worm, lose the NTSU brand.

If 30 years of consistent UNT branding doesn't educate them, 1 annual tribute probably isn't on their radar.

Dunham was appx 29 years old when he started calling for the MGRN.  We are a little over 30 years removed from the NTSU name/brand.  Assuming you get into radio for sports at the college level around that age, I wonder if we will see this slowly fade away, as the older NTSU mindset is replaced with a new generation that only knows UNT?

• Upvote 1