Report: Houston and Cincinnati Expected to Receive Big 12 Invites

BillySee58

In Wren we trust. New facilities, overall better performance from athletics, better marketing exposure, and increased attendance across all sports puts us in a good spot to make our case for any conference.

I don’t think we are automatically written off from the AAC because of geographic location. This isn’t college football of 10 years ago where it was all about markets. It’s now all about what program can immediately bring in the most money or has the potential to bring in the most money. I think we can make a case for the latter.

Now I don’t think we are automatically written off, but I do think we will not get an invite. AAC lost some heavy hitters and they will look to replace them by raiding CUSA and potentially the Sunbelt (unless they all stick together). However, I’m hoping Wren can work his magic to get us in the best conference possible.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Because you don't offer anything of value. You don't have TV ratings that will boost the conference finances.  There are a dozen other options that bring more revenue and are more competitive to bring publicity.  If we are just picking from all of those schools, why pick one that doesn't introduce any new geography?

And you think SMUt does???? 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, rcade said:

I didn't ask about UNT. I asked about SMU. What makes you think the rest of the AAC is giving SMU the power to veto the invitation of any other school?

It's not like your school is an AAC juggernaut. Your conference record is 42-48.

When you were invited out of CUSA, you were a small fish in that pond. Your record in the conference was 43-67 (39%). Ours is 45-54 (45%).

Your average attendance in your final CUSA season was 21,800. Our average attendance in 2019 was 21,300.

As for TV, in 2019 your game against Memphis set a new primetime ratings low for ABC's college football broadcasts.

Your enrollment is 11,000. Ours is 40,000. You have 45,000 alumni in DFW and 117,000 overall. We have 434,000 and 294,000 in DFW.

When SMU got the invite to the AAC, there's no criteria I'm seeing where it looked better than UNT does today.

SMU does spend $30 million a year more now than UNT on athletics, because you're so well-endowed.

But you're not getting any better performance than us! Which is what I always said going back to my college days. It's not the size; it's how you use it.

Well you just hit upon our problem. With an enrollment 4 times that of SMU we still don't outdraw them. Also, we are going different directions in our football programs. If you only have twelve programs from which to form a conference it makes no sense to pick two schools 30 miles apart. The problem the AAC has is assuming their 4 picks come from the SBC and CUSA once I get past UAB I draw a blank. UNT is not going anywhere, and if by chance the AAC plucks La. Tech and So. Miss.[ both are very small markets so I doubt it] along with UAB we are in a world of hurt stuck on an island with UTSA, UTEP, and Rice. If that happens we might be better off in the SBC,which has become a better football conference and  has a better tv contract than CUSA.

• Confused 1

On 9/3/2021 at 1:39 PM, MrAlien said:

BYU makes sense because they bring a massive media fan base to the conference.

But is adding a bunch of AAC schools really going to benifit the BIG12?  they are essentially becoming another G5 conference.  Just looking at who will be left in the BIG12, the AAC will be the better conference.     

If the BIG10 poaches Iowa State and Kansas…this conference is screwed. I’m seeing a lot of parallels from when North Texas jumped at the invite to get into CUSA, only to see the conference completely change in the span of two years. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Well you just hit upon our problem. With an enrollment 4 times that of SMU we still don't outdraw them. Also, we are going different directions in our football programs. If you only have twelve programs from which to form a conference it makes no sense to pick two schools 30 miles apart. The problem the AAC has is assuming their 4 picks come from the SBC and CUSA once I get past UAB I draw a blank. UNT is not going anywhere, and if by chance the AAC plucks La. Tech and So. Miss.[ both are very small markets so I doubt it] along with UAB we are in a world of hurt stuck on an island with UTSA, UTEP, and Rice. If that happens we might be better off in the SBC,which has become a better football conference and  has a better tv contract than CUSA.

I think MUTS will be positioned nicely because of their proximity to Nashville…I also think Coastal Carolina will get some attention, as well…

• Skeptical Eagle 1

20 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I would think Southern Miss and Marshall have a decent shot, in large part because of their history with the AAC teams.  Marshall also has had a consistently good football team for a good while now.  Other good possibilities would be Louisiana Tech and App State.  I wouldn't completely rule us out, but with SMU in the AAC, it makes us more or less redundant.

Marshall maybe. USM. no shot I would think.

I think an underrated part here is, how 3 of the 4 biggest enrollment institutions are leaving the AAC, (UCF is literally the biggest university in the US) and the south is now completely made up of small enrolement private institutions (Tulsa, SMu, Tulane. Honestly, almost no matter who they bring in, if i were navy, i'd think about going independent again. There are more independents than there were when they joined, and scheduling should be easier therefore, and they don't really get much from playing the Tulsas of the world.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, greenminer said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32141325/byu-houston-ucf-cincinnati-planning-submit-applications-big-12-sources-confirm

...frames this differently: "planning to submit applications."

So what is stopping Wren and Co from submitting applications?

I believe ECU did something similar last go round…they were thoroughly mocked 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2021 at 4:01 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I know academics are a big part of the B1G10. A lot of people wanted Nebraska booted out after they lost their AAU accreditation about the time they joined (only team in the B1G10 without it).

The reason Nebraska lost its AAU accreditation is that the medical school is not located in Lincoln. This loss in accreditation was in process before joining the Big10. AAU changed their requirements and Nebraska was caught up in the change.

• Upvote 1