3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Vaccinated for Covid. The topic was about vaccinated in general historically.

I posted a pew study earlier. Showed that 10-12% on each extreme side of the party was not trusting of vaccines (pre-covid. Though by large margin the right side was opposed to mandate. Personally, I've only known right wing people to be antivax, through school, hospital or friends of friends. My assumptions were only for my life.. didn't fit what the pew study showed. Same goes for the assumptions that liberals are the antivaxers.

Which then led to be question about modern antivax movement..

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

The vaccine is really the key to getting back to normal.

Just counting down the months until my kids can get the vaccines..

Antibodies are the way to get back to normal. Vaccines are just one way to get them. 

Since your kids are unvaccinated, I encourage you to get them in the Texas CARES antibody study to see if  they had a prior exposure. If so, it could give you a little peace of mind.

• Upvote 1

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"A caring and thoughtful post."

Cr1028 was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 15 points.

3 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I posted a pew study earlier. Showed that 10-12% on each extreme side of the party was not trusting of vaccines (pre-covid. Though by large margin the right side was opposed to mandate. Personally, I've only known right wing people to be antivax, through school, hospital or friends of friends. My assumptions were only for my life.. didn't fit what the pew study showed. Same goes for the assumptions that liberals are the antivaxers.

Which then led to be question about modern antivax movement..

Gotcha, we all see thing through our own life experience. Makes sense.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2021 at 7:03 PM, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Antivaxx has always had it's toe firmly dipped into evangelical and right wing church crowd. Vaccination requirements were a big reason for home schooling. That was mostly driven from the right wing side..

"Liberals" are typically pro science and provaxx. The way out there liberal, which leans toward libertarian, i don't consider liberal as much just weird.

I wouldn't call this any hypocrisy at all. When my kids school enforced the measle vaccination schedule and made NO religious exemption, it wasn't liberal people who transferred schools.. or decided to home school.

Hm, yes and no. Here in Colorado, pre-covid, the lowest (or at least some of the lowest) general vaccination rates within the state were in Boulder, which is about as crunchy granola Liberal as you can get. So there's definitely a contingent on the Left that is historically anti-vaxx. I believe COVID has caused some of them to come around on the issue, but the hold-outs in that community still exist.

Edited by MDH
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I think put simply, the purple area of the Anti-Vaxxer Venn Diagram makes up the oddest cross-section of the American population that agrees on anything...really, I'd love to see them all in a room together...mostly because I think they'd all kill one another and save us all a lot of hassle. 

the original and most vocal anti-MMR Vax campaign was largely made up of affluent SoCal liberals...a group I like to call Nouveau New-Agers...basically they're the same group of people who pay $15,000 a week for yoga and meditation retreats in Sedona and VIP turn-key camps at Burning Man...largely annoying capitalistic "hippies"

this group is still largely extending that philosophy to the Covid vaccine...I have a few of this type in my friend circle (though on the mild end of the annoying scale lest they wouldn't be my friends)...their argument is largely that they don't want to put non-natural/synthesized chemicals into their body (this despite my having done copious amounts of LSD and MDMA with them...)

I think rather clearly and obviously though, the largest and loudest group of anti-Covid vaxxers are certainly extreme right, Trump, Q-Anon, etc supporters. I think it's just the next extension from 18+ months of denial and downplaying of the severity of the virus/pandemic...the "personal freedom" over "collective good" crowd...anti-lockdown, anti-mask, anti-vax...it's a pretty consistent lineage. 

a pretty easy litmus test...if your anti-vaxxer is telling you that amethyst crystals, palo santo and lavender tinctures will keep them healthy, then they're likely liberals...if a person is eating $500 worth of chemicals from Grainger and telling you Jesus will keep them safe from Covid, well you're likely talking to a conservative. 

hope this all helps.  

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1