http://www.keweenawreport.com/featured/two-fda-officials-resigning-over-politicized-vaccine-approval-process/

"The vaccines will be approved inevitably, as there are a lot of major public health players who have become deeply financially invested in the decision. The last two FDA commissioners have joined firms that directly profit from vaccine adoption. "

https://news.yahoo.com/2-top-fda-officials-resigned-103227868.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 4

On 9/2/2021 at 4:37 PM, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

FDA has 15,000 employees. Two have resigned? 

• The FDA announced the resignations of Marion Gruber and Philip Krause on Tuesday.

• The pair lead the FDA office in charge of approving vaccines.

• The federal government has a crazy amount of employees.  That would be like shrugging off our President and VP resigning as only two of X amount.  It isn't the number, it is their position in this time when they are kind of important to what the FDA is doing.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Shocking that someone who has been on the job for 30 years would want to resign and get out of the fire from two very challenging years. 

NYT and WP reports that it is about them being pushed over the line with the announcement of boosters without FDA approval of boosters before hand - even though the Whitehouse said it ultimately needs to be FDA approved. 

But on top of that, they were ridden hard by the previous administration to alter and water down the whole process.

"Their office also guides manufacturers on what kinds of studies they need to conduct to evaluate new vaccines, then reviews the data on them. The F.D.A. came under enormous pressure last fall by Trump administration officials to water down or scuttle standards it had set for vaccine emergency use authorizations, but prevailed in publishing the guidelines. Dr. Stephen M. Hahn, the F.D.A. commissioner under President Donald J. Trump, said on Tuesday that Dr. Gruber and Dr. Krause “stuck together and marshaled amazing resources and got the authorizations done in record time.”

I guess with all of your posts, I don't get the reason for the news. Certainly some fake astroturfed "local news" site like keweenawreport is not breaking some hard hitting news... but that is what you choose to post. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

Who even wrote that http://www.keweenawreport.com/featured/two-fda-officials-resigning-over-politicized-vaccine-approval-process/ article? I'm seriously baffled. You took a quote from it, but it isn't even attributed to anyone. This is an opinion piece? That site reeks of the astroturfing of local news that has been happening lately.

But it is natural course for people to leave one sector where they were the regulators and then go into private industry to profit in how to guide though the complexity of the whole process. That happens everyday - in every industry. What should a do when they leave their job that they are a top expert in? Go sell cars? Sell shoes? Manage a gym? 

And of course drug companies want profit. Are you starting to come to my side thinking medicine is a public utility and profit motive should be removed? Welcome!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

It doesn't matter.  I just like posting shit to get you all riled up and digging around to make some claim of "astroturfing", have no idea what that is, or claiming its only two FDA employees out of 15,000 even though they were in charge of the vaccine program.  So I call you on that and you dig around to find that they were first pressured by Trump, so I guess their resignations were all his fault and have nothing to do with Biden's Administration.

Hell, you quoted the NY TImes that have shown a left bias.  Can't you find something more down the middle to support your opinions?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Ah yes, Lifer, the 4d chess master. 

It isn't "digging" to read articles. In fact, it's right in the yahoo link that you provided. Obviously I was sarcastic about the 2/15k comment - definitely called me out on that. 

Astroturfing: https://www.perhamfocus.com/news/government-and-politics/6742834-Astroturf-news-takes-root-in-Dakotas-Minnesota

Examples: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vTY6gW8su8k-BxuQo6CkwEDfsQq3TnVdqEOOqtjOeZ6YeYiXyZ-ZjZnN6pDKmQHpfZ9sXhUHmnduKUr/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

I'd think someone that is so grounded and in the know and such a truth seeker - you'd be very concerned about this trend and not want to post articles that have no author or news sites that don't even have a real copyright. But what do i know? Just trying to keep misinformation and propaganda at check.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I just like posting shit to get you all riled up

I love this community for it's common goal of bringing us together to root, discuss, and discourse over for our favorite team. I honestly don't know why the mods don't resort back to a no tolerance policy on politics posts (yes, unfortunately COVID should fall into that category at this point.)

@UNTLifer I know you get into spats with more of the left-leaning side of the users here. But you seem to always make it abundantly clear to me never to take what you say seriously as evidence by acting as a troll with the statement above. Regardless of topic, does anyone know how to talk to each other in good faith anymore? That goes for a lot of people on this website too.

Go mean green I guess

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, eeeeagle said:

I love this community for it's common goal of bringing us together to root, discuss, and discourse over for our favorite team. I honestly don't know why the mods don't resort back to a no tolerance policy on politics posts (yes, unfortunately COVID should fall into that category at this point.)

@UNTLifer I know you get into spats with more of the left-leaning side of the users here. But you seem to always make it abundantly clear to me never to take what you say seriously as evidence by acting as a troll with the statement above. Regardless of topic, does anyone know how to talk to each other in good faith anymore? That goes for a lot of people on this website too.

Go mean green I guess

Great post. I let the thread and the withdrawal from the quagmire go more political than TTG would have.. for sure.. it's an emotional thing and I'm ok with some venting. I dunno.

I definitely don't agree that a pandemic that directly affects many on this board as something that fits into "politics." There's nothing inherently political about masks, vaccines, deaths, tests, hospital status, etc. Nothing. I don't know why it keeps getting pulled in.

• Upvote 1

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/fda-resignations-white-house-booster-guidance-mess

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/09/anger-frustration-at-fda-over-bidens-booster-plan-two-top-regulators-resign/

Their resignations, first reported by pharmaceutical trade publication BioCentury, were apparently sparked by frustration that the Biden administration had overstepped the FDA in announcing plans to offer COVID-19 booster shots beginning on September 20. The pair also clashed with higher-up Peter Marks, who reportedly went along with the administration's plans. Marks is the director of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER), which includes the OVRR.

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/marion-gruber-phil-krause-leaving-fda/605859/

• Upvote 1