DRC: UNT will be without key forward Olivia Klein for Baylor match

Brett Vito

36 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Add on: just read NT was down 3 starters and key sub, was not aware of missing anyone but Klein.   Wonder why the other 3 players were out this game. 

I am sure that hurt us. We definitely had some key players out. However, they still looked like a typical hedlund coached team in an NCAA tourney game. The long ball kills me. The commentators kept saying stuff like ‘man every time we get the ball up top we have one girl to their four’… Well yeah that’s what happens with long ball. You literally are forcing your player on an island all by themselves against an entire defense.  Easiest to defend. I am sure Baylor loved that style. It all but assured their victory when we did that. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Add on: just read NT was down 3 starters and key sub, was not aware of missing anyone but Klein.   Wonder why the other 3 players were out this game. 

We would have looked more competitive with Klein, Okada (mid), Sheppard (def) but we always struggle against Big12 or Power teams. As echoe by Travis’ and previous post-season posts.

Okada was on bench with lower leg injury. Sheppard had leg wrapped. These upper tier games are crucial for top 25 votes which come into play at season end. NCAA tournament seeding makes or breaks a post season run. For UNT, that first elusive win.

We tend to have two playing styles. Play downhill against equal or lower tier teams equating to 30+ shots and many many wins. Upper tier game plan: flood midfield with players, one up top, hunker down on D, long ball counter attack, pray for set pcs/corner kicks, switch to 2-3 forwards last 15min. Not that this is a terrible way to go about things against stronger teams but we’ve had athleticism and talent on our side for the last 5-6 years if not longer.  Would be nice to see these UNT players get a chance to go toe to toe. I honestly think we can can compete. Tufts, Drenowatz, Klein, Byrd can hold their own on offense.

OU up next. They are a different team than last yr. Strong freshman recruiting class and equally impressive transfers. Level of game we go toe to toe! GMG!!

• Upvote 1