GREEN FLYING WORM

Our current SOW logo may not even be originally ours............

NT has used it since 2005 as a new branding font with logos.  NT first used it in 2013 on our helmets.  I don't know where it came from.  

The Australian Royal Air Force has been using it since at least 2008, probably much earlier by their 3rd Squadron.

We know the Flying Worm was designed by an NT alum, Rick Spears, and is exclusively ours. 

Not so sure about SOW....

A21-13 - McDonnell Douglas F/A-18A Hornet - Australia - Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF)

f-35_0.jpg?itok=IyF_QlLX&timestamp=154462930738990_1500900280.thumb.jpg.97bdb4f9235de8875d17fae9b9a33684.jpg

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

The current eagle is the best logo we've had or ever will have. They just need to STOP attaching the letters UNT to it and make it bigger wherever it appears. If I was good with graphic arts I'd make a tiny longhorn with a UT attached to the corner of it to show how stupid this current combination looks.

I also love the SOW - however the graphic itself is difficult to enlarge because it is way taller than wide... so it's hard do make it a "big" image without having a ton of vertical space.   That's why the SOW looks so small as a thumbnail image on ESPN and other sports sites... and it's hard to make it a larger image in the middle of Apogee... it would bleed into the field's hash marks.

Having the SOW on the left of "UNT" allows for a size-friendlier graphic and helps promote the pivot from "North Texas" to "UNT"... although I agree UT with a tiny longhorn would look ridiculous  🙂

The Flying Worm is certainly unique and iconic (and easier to get a large image).  Hard to imagine we would stray from the SOW since a lot of effort has been made to market this image - and I do think it is a cool image.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

20 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

The current eagle is the best logo we've had or ever will have. They just need to STOP attaching the letters UNT to it and make it bigger wherever it appears. If I was good with graphic arts I'd make a tiny longhorn with a UT attached to the corner of it to show how stupid this current combination looks.

This and my earlier comment about the "Flying Worm" just proves the old statement about opinions.  We all have them just like some body part.

I am curious though, what years were you at North Texas?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This and my earlier comment about the "Flying Worm" just proves the old statement about opinions.  We all have them just like some body part.

I am curious though, what years were you at North Texas?

What if I told you how awful I thought blue text looks on red background?

That's not just an opinion, that's widely accepted sentiment in the world of design.

I don't simply dislike what he described, I actually think it is bad design.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

People like what they like for whatever reason.  Not sure where the blue on red comment fits in this, but okay.

I like the Flying Worm logo and the color scheme because it seemed so ahead of its time when it was introduced and everyone was talking about it.  I was a kid when Fry arrived and started changing things at North Texas and people were paying attention.  I loved going to the games and to top it off, Blakely arrived with the teams at the Super Pit when we averaged more fans than now and they played an exciting style of basketball with that cool logo.  The old McDonald's on campus was decorated with the helmets and pictures of the team and that is where I wanted my parents to take me, even if the food was horrible.  It was just cool, so I have these great memories of the logo/color scheme.  It was just iconic, recognizable by all and set us apart and that is why I love it and think it should have never been replaced.  To be replaced with the crap that followed was just ridiculous.

The Son of Worm was a great improvement over what we had and a nod to the 70's logo, but it just isn't the same, and is just too close to other logos.  The Worm stands alone.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

The eagle in my day was flying through some sort of circular star gate with an N and a T stacked on it. Hated it.

I don't like the worm, nor that shade of green. Worm has a big J on it.

I also don't like 'UNT'. That is straight from Austin people who think a university OF 'North Texas' takes away from a university OF 'Texas'.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

I also don't like 'UNT'. That is straight from Austin people who think a university OF 'North Texas' takes away from a university OF 'Texas'.

So you don't like UNT because folks in Austin don't like it?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

The Flying Worm is cool but it looks VERY 1970s - and kind of like a penis. 
It makes for a great throwback uniform/helmet but not an everyday logo for 2022. 

You know, I've heard it described several ways but never like that.  I'd like to hear some of your responses to a Rorschach test........or maybe I wouldn't.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

The Flying Worm is cool but it looks VERY 1970s - and kind of like a penis. 
It makes for a great throwback uniform/helmet but not an everyday logo for 2022. 

Sometimes it looks like it is out of Japanese animation, like a missing ally from an early 1990s Nintendo video game

Kirby_Star_Allies.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, greenminer said:

What if I told you how awful I thought blue text looks on red background?

That's not just an opinion, that's widely accepted sentiment in the world of design.

I don't simply dislike what he described, I actually think it is bad design.

Have you seen TCU's purple and red uniforms. Butt ugly!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

So you don't like UNT because folks in Austin don't like it?

You misunderstood. Supporters of Texas would like for us to be the anonymous ‘UNT’. They don’t want there to be a University of NORTH Texas. It is the same thing as when they didn’t want the university name change in the 80s. I’m not talking about general fans. I’m talking about people in the state government.

The fact people go along with it is similar to how people in Raleigh have managed to get supporters of Appalachian to refer to themselves as the ridiculous ‘App State’.  Supporters of Carolina have to love it.

So whenever there is a print reference to our school it should be ‘North Texas’ not ‘UNT’ and you should only say ‘North Texas’ not ‘UNT’ and no print should occur attached to our logo.

Edited by Aquila_Viridis
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

You misunderstood. Supporters of Texas would like for us to be the anonymous ‘UNT’. They don’t want there to be a University of NORTH Texas. It is the same thing as when they didn’t want the university name change in the 80s. I’m not talking about general fans. I’m talking about people in the state government.

The fact people go along with it is similar to how people in Raleigh have managed to get supporters of Appalachian to refer to themselves as the ridiculous ‘App State’.  Supporters of Carolina have to love it.

So whenever there is a print reference to our school it should be ‘North Texas’ not ‘UNT’ and you should only say ‘North Texas’ not ‘UNT’ and no print should occur attached to our logo.

I prefer North Texas to UNT, but North Texas applies to a whole region as well as to a school.   So I usually use NT to denote my university.  

I still don't like that the Texas State proposed name was declined due to the Texas State system of Texas already using that name.  Of course, UT San Marcos got that name later supposedly because they were a member of that system.   

I doubt the old guard UT and A&M politicians liked UTSM getting that moniker anymore than NT.  They just couldn't find an excuse to block it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 11:03 PM, SilverEagle said:

You know, I've heard it described several ways but never like that.  I'd like to hear some of your responses to a Rorschach test........or maybe I wouldn't.

You mean that test with all the vaginas? Yes, no thanks that one is just weird! 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

I like the Flying Worm and SoW logos! Hated all the Daffy douchebag logos. Never understood how navy and orange got into them???? 
I’m probably in the minority, but I loved the script in the sunbelt days! That’s during my time at NT and where I got sucked into NT football. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/7/2022 at 3:15 PM, Aquila_Viridis said:

You are probably right. Here is a summary from our history/traditions page about our attempts to change our name to " The University of North Texas". 

After having changed names several times throughout its history, in 1961 the institution first attempted to legally change its name from North Texas State College to the University of North Texas; however, while the bill, introduced by State Representative Joe Ratcliff, easily passed the Texas House, it met opposition in the Senate from Senator Charles Herring of Austin. Senator Herring feared the bill would harm the University of Texas and “said it was ridiculous to think there could be two universities ‘in a little town the size of Denton.’”  He called North Texas State College’s attempt to become the University of North Texas a “fraud on the public,” and insisted that the institution “is nothing but a teachers college and that’s what it’s going to be for years to come.” Representative Ratcliff compromised, rather than let the bill die in the Senate, and the name was changed to North Texas State University.

A second attempt to change the name to the University of North Texas was made during the 1969-1971 legislative session, however this move was once again challenged by the University of Texas at Austin, and their opposition prevented introduction of this into legislation at that time. Not willing to completely give up on the name change, university officials began discussing the potential change to the University of North Texas once again in the fall of 1986. This bid ultimately met with success, but not before nearly dying twice on the legislative floor. Neither near-failure had anything at all to do with the merits of the bill itself, but both were purely due to political games. The first near casualty came from Representative Wilhelmina Delco of Austin, who delayed passing the bill through the Higher Education Committee in favor of her own bill. The bill finally passed out of the House committee only three days before the end of the legislative session. The second challenge for the bill came from Representative Jim Rudd of Brownfield, who, in retaliation for an unrelated slight, placed objection to five of Senator Glasgow’s bills, including that of North Texas State University’s name change. Some quick work from members of the Calendars Committee got the bill moved to a higher priority, and the House approved the change from North Texas State University to the University of North Texas. Governor Bill Clements signed the bill without any further drama, officially changing the school’s name to the University of North Texas, effective May 15, 1988.

In the 1961 debacle, it was more than Charles Herring from Austin, and it was uglier than the summary above. There was a female UT graduate from El Paso, and I think one Senator from somewhere in south Texas.  It's best recounted in the 1965 "The Story of North Texas".  And it's all on the official record.  

You know, SMU always seems to be #1 on our shit list (including mine), but UT has done worse to us than SMU ever thought about doing. Besides, it was an SMU graduate who eventually signed the bill to change our name to the one we wanted as far back as 1961.

• Lovely Take 1

• 2 weeks later...