DRC: UNT press conference notebook -- Littrell coy with QB plans, Torrey WR experiment could be over

Brett Vito

8 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

There’s really no advantage or disadvantage to naming co-starters for this game. Effectively a one game tryout for the starting spot. 

Exactly.  A starter should be named for game #2.  Don't recall who the opponent is.😎

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

Why should he tell the opponent who the QB will be?  The object is to win the game foremost, giving the opponent notice doesn't help the cause.

Does anyone really think he doesn't know who the starter will be?  

It should be an easy win, but coaches don't coach that way.  

Belichick just cut Cam Newton 

• Upvote 1

I’ve said this before but the biggest problem last year was our QBs not being able to hold down the job. Aune was putting up big-time yards for a first time starter, then he had a nightmare half of turnovers and Bean lit it up. From there Bean struggled holding onto the job and was yanked a couple times. 

I really don’t care what the depth chart looks like as long as the position is solidified. If it said Ruder or Aune as number 1 now but they throw 3 1st-half picks against SMU and get yanked, it won’t matter that on guy was listed as the definitive starter.

• Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Highjack: Cowboys need him as a backup.

Back on topic, I want a starter named but don't see any urgency with the Northwestern State game.

Not so much a hijack though, I love what Belichick is doing. He's picking someone he believes in and going b@lls to the walls on him. They has to be an enormous confidence boost for Mac.

You pick the best, you get all the way behind him. Let them learn to fail and learn to succeed. We needed that true leader this year. (and maybe we still get it)

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Not so much a hijack though, I love what Belichick is doing. He's picking someone he believes in and going b@lls to the walls on him. They has to be an enormous confidence boost for Mac.

You pick the best, you get all the way behind him. Let them learn to fail and learn to succeed. We needed that true leader this year. (and maybe we still get it)

I think it has more to do with the fact that Cam is not vaccinated and the protocol on a non-vaccinated player is pretty intense. If someone on the team tests positive and Cam was in close contact, he has to quarantine too. Basically puts you in a position where if anyone tests positive, there goes your backup QB too. Makes your QB depth chart extremely uncertain week to week, and not worth that level of high maintenance just for a backup.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think it has more to do with the fact that Cam is not vaccinated and the protocol on a non-vaccinated player is pretty intense. If someone on the team tests positive and Cam was in close contact, he has to quarantine too. Basically puts you in a position where if anyone tests positive, there goes your backup QB too. Makes your QB depth chart extremely uncertain week to week, and not worth that level of high maintenance just for a backup.

I believe I read recently that you couldn't cut players in regards to their views, or status, on vaccination. If that's close to true and even done under the radar it's got a huge legal implication.

totally not UNT related, just a thing I heard

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

You all are making a pretty big deal about this. He knows his starter and you will see it Saturday.   He will stay with his guy until the game is out of hand and then bring in #2.  He will want QB1 to know he has complete confidence in him so he is not looking over his shoulder after every play.  Just my prediction. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1