Big 12 vs the world

Hunter Green

The teams selected prove the Big12 wants schools that can be consistently competitive. They just lost their 2 main schools that brought competitive validation to the league. UNT's focus should be on improving the product on the fields and courts (basketball has been getting it done here - it needs to continue).

If we want to move up - all athletics need to keep the level of play high, and donors need to keep the donations coming.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, keith said:

Short-sighted thinking by conference leadership if they are not looking for ways to put a stranglehold on DFW which is only going to get bigger for the foreseeable future.  

THIS! Dfw is the 4th or 5th TV market (we keeping going back and forth with Philly). We have to show We can deliver enough viewers to make it worth adding us.  But, don't discount the value of people willing to pay to stream out games.  Every media person I talk to says streaming is the future. That is why CBS, NBC, and now even Disney have created streaming platforms.  If NT can prove it will bring enough viewers and butts in seats,  then even SMU won't try to block us. The problem is I'm not sure we are quite there yet.  

• Upvote 1

Big12 needs to court a school from the P5 and give them a deal similar to what UT had. Someone like Nebraska who has done absolutely nothing since leaving should be their target. That’s the only way this conference still maintains a lifeline to the new P5 breakaway. Otherwise they’ll be nothing but another G5 conference. If I were Kansas I’d do absolutely everything to leave the B12. The B12 is going to die a slow death, no way they make it out of this shuffle this time. 

• Upvote 1

I would have guessed BYU, Boise, UCF, and Cincy but guess that extra 400 miles was too much. 

If you look at the pool AAC can pick from there’s no on that stands out as a must pick. 

Taking five year SP+ ratings you’ve got

26 Appalachian State. Not easy travel and if markets are your bag they ain’t got it. 
31. Boise. Hard to see a gutted AAC luring them when they backed out of a full strength version. 
48. San Diego State. Easier to fly to but seriously has to be football only. Like Boise backed out of a stronger version of AAC

61. Ohio consistent program that might benefit from no longer being just part of the lump of Ohio MAC schools but small market defined if you are into markets. 
63. Toledo. Bigger city than Ohio is in and a consistent winner and again someone who might benefit not being in the great Ohio lump. 
66. Air Force. I think they might be interested making Navy a league game and trimming some of the Army-Navy excitement

67 Troy another small market 

73 Western Michigan. Rural and remote but maybe a chance for identity from 3 Michigan MACs. 
75 WKU another small market and has had some budget issues. 
78 FAU first one that looks like AAC in community. 
80 Arkansas State. Yet another small market. 
81 Fresno. Long ol way out there. Maybe if paired with SDSU?
82 Wyoming. Another remote school. 
83 Louisiana. An ECU sized market. 
85. UAB. Like FAU feels more like what AAC would seek. 

That’s all I’ve got from Bill Connelly’s list. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

67 Troy another small market 

I admit I haven't thought of them much since we left the Belt.

I almost puked in my mouth.  I recall them having questionable academics (putting it nicely there).  I can't imagine them being seriously considered, but maybe they've changed.

• Upvote 1