Who is the QB Starter?

MeanGreen_MBA

For all of you who are declaring that we need to PICK A DAMN QB1 AND STICK WITH HIM . . . you are probably right (and I agree with you).  BUT, just hypothetically, let's say QB X starts against Northwestern State and does fine.  Then he starts against SMU and looks completely lost, immediately turns over the ball a few times, and pretty much accomplishes nothing positive in the first half.  Who feels confident in getting your rear on the record (sorry, Brett) with stating that you will not demand that QB Y play the second half and/or start the UAB game?  I'll admit that I can make no such promise... 

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

Just like you I have my opinions but I do not need a idiot like you saying stupid judgmental postings against me!

Like you did against me, when I literally didn't even respond to you?

Lets take a deep breath and remember we are all passionate football nerds here aligned for one very real purpose: to cheer on our (usually) terrible team.

We fight, we argue, we revel in beating FCS foes (and utep), but at the end of the day its just an excuse to start day drinking every Saturday. This season can't start soon enough.

Seriously, that jug of White Horse is begging me to crack it open

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Now I'm no coach....but this "Littrell is trying not to show his hand to SMU" angle seems a little strange considering they put 65 on us last year and beat us by 4 TDs. I don't know if tricking them and making them consider either Aune or Ruder will really make a difference...

Didn’t we do this exact same trash last year with Bean starting for HBU and Aune for SMU? Worked out real well, huh?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

No. Bean started both games and failed to move the ball against SMU which opened the door for Aune. I think Littrell wanted to just stick with Bean but he didn’t perform well enough to warrant it.

Bean must've been a monster in practice last year. Just never know how that translates to games...Hope this season's practices have been good and he can make the right decision. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think that either quarterback we go with will do fine and we will score. The issue is having a defense that can be at least average. If the D is at the bottom of the conference again the QB will not matter.

You don’t think we can average 60 points per game on offense?

• Haha 2

When did “pick a guy & stick with him” slip into the Football 10 Commandments?  
Most my half a century of following MG football we rarely had that luxury.  We were lucky to have 1 (consistent) quality starter many of those years & looking at our W/L record of the last 5 decades sorta’ proves the point. 
In 1978 I thought (even after Fry’s announcement to leave for Iowa in December of the same year) that we were still well on our way to the next level.  I was 28 in 1978 & now I’m a very long ways from age 28.  Anyone care to share how time flies by so quickly?😊 

✝️ EXORCIZE THOSE NW ST. DEMONS! 😳

15 hours ago, Udomann said:

Like you did against me, when I literally didn't even respond to you?

Lets take a deep breath and remember we are all passionate football nerds here aligned for one very real purpose: to cheer on our (usually) terrible team.

We fight, we argue, we revel in beating FCS foes (and utep), but at the end of the day its just an excuse to start day drinking every Saturday. This season can't start soon enough.

Seriously, that jug of White Horse is begging me to crack it open

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

13 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

For all the UT-Walmart fans…the longhorns plan to play both quarterbacks in their opener and will decide after the game who they like (against a ranked opponent).  There was no declaration of “we’ll pick someone and stick with them” in the article I read.  

Austin radio said although both will play, Card is the starter. They didn’t give any indication of a gray area. They were clear they have a #1 and a #2 just that both will see time against the Cajuns. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Greendylan said:

For all of you who are declaring that we need to PICK A DAMN QB1 AND STICK WITH HIM . . . you are probably right (and I agree with you).  BUT, just hypothetically, let's say QB X starts against Northwestern State and does fine.  Then he starts against SMU and looks completely lost, immediately turns over the ball a few times, and pretty much accomplishes nothing positive in the first half.  Who feels confident in getting your rear on the record (sorry, Brett) with stating that you will not demand that QB Y play the second half and/or start the UAB game?  I'll admit that I can make no such promise... 

desperation is a cruel mistress. I can’t make that promise either 😅

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GOMeanGO said:

Sad Ruder may be starting over Aune? I get it, but it will be ok! We can get through this together! 😂😂😂

No.  I honestly don't care who starts.  I just want the one that performs best and leads us to wins.  I was actually pulling for Cole Johnson.

• Upvote 4

On 8/30/2021 at 3:40 PM, Charlie NT 73 said:

Gosh mean rob and udoman did I make you guys mad? 
i was just scattershooting a possible scenario. 
I am so glad fans like you are ready to pounce on other fans posting to prove that you know more about football than any fan on this board! Just my opinion.

This sentiment I understand, regardless of who you support if it goes against the old guard you will get down votes on here.  Doesn’t really bother me. As people told  me! I will tell them, the same thing! Ruder is the guy! Get behind him or you aren’t a UNT fan. Aune when called upon looked decent. I just think SL was holding back the playbook because Ruder has legs and we could use him in RPO situations and don’t want to give that away just yet.  Either way! I’ll take the win!  

Edited by GOMeanGO

1 hour ago, GOMeanGO said:

This sentiment I understand, regardless of who you support if it goes against the old guard you will get down votes on here.  Doesn’t really bother me. As people told  me! I will tell them, the same thing! Ruder is the guy! Get behind him or you aren’t a UNT fan. Aune when called upon looked decent. I just think SL was holding back the playbook because Ruder has legs and we could use him in RPO situations and don’t want to give that away just yet.  Either way! I’ll take the win!  

Ruder is the guy and deserves the start next week but you can get off your high horse. He is good but not the Heisman runner-up you painted him out to be.

I didn’t see a vast difference in ability between Ruder and Aune as far as arm talent goes. Ruder does have better legs but he isn’t Jason Bean in that department either.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4