Who is the QB Starter?

MeanGreen_MBA

54 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

This sentiment I understand, regardless of who you support if it goes against the old guard you will get down votes on here.  Doesn’t really bother me. As people told  me! I will tell them, the same thing! Ruder is the guy! Get behind him or you aren’t a UNT fan. Aune when called upon looked decent. I just think SL was holding back the playbook because Ruder has legs and we could use him in RPO situations and don’t want to give that away just yet.  Either way! I’ll take the win!  

It isn’t the holding back on RPOs that has me concerned with what I saw from Ruder.  It’s that he rarely attempted a downfield throw, and when he did  he was inaccurate.  Throws were out of bounds or behind receivers.  Maybe on the sideline throws the receivers didn’t give him anywhere to go, don’t know without watching a replay…but in general, he needs to give our receivers a chance to run onto the ball.  Almost no yards after the catch, which with our stable of talented receivers, was really surprising.

Maybe this comes down to timing and comfort level with our receivers and we’ll see improvement as the season progresses.  

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

I just think SL was holding back the playbook because Ruder has legs and we could use him in RPO situations and don’t want to give that away just yet.  Either way! I’ll take the win!  

RPO doesn’t mean the QB has the option to run or pass himself. It almost always means he has the option to hand it off or throw the ball depending on defensive alignment and leverage. We ran RPOs all night. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

It isn’t the holding back on RPOs that has me concerned with what I saw from Ruder.  It’s that he rarely attempted a downfield throw, and when he did  he was inaccurate.  Throws were out of bounds or behind receivers.  Maybe on the sideline throws the receivers didn’t give him anywhere to go, don’t know without watching a replay…but in general, he needs to give our receivers a chance to run onto the ball.  Almost no yards after the catch, which with our stable of talented receivers, was really surprising.

Maybe this comes down to timing and comfort level with our receivers and we’ll see improvement as the season progresses.  

I generally like what I saw from Ruder last night.    A lot of his throws were off, but just slightly.     He has a really nice touch on the ball, a quick release and seemed poised in the pocket for a first game.   It was only an FCS team.   So, we will see how well his poise holds up starting this week.

I missed the last pick he threw.  So, I am not sure about that one.

Ruder seems to have all the tools.  I think he just needs some time to get comfortable.    The WR's certainly did  him no  favors last night.   I was already missing Darden.

The entire offense (other than Torrey) really needs to pick it up a notch next week.    We all know SMU is going to put up a lot of points.       The passing game has to click better and quickly.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 2

On 9/5/2021 at 8:20 AM, GOMeanGO said:

This sentiment I understand, regardless of who you support if it goes against the old guard you will get down votes on here.  Doesn’t really bother me. As people told  me! I will tell them, the same thing! Ruder is the guy! Get behind him or you aren’t a UNT fan. Aune when called upon looked decent. I just think SL was holding back the playbook because Ruder has legs and we could use him in RPO situations and don’t want to give that away just yet.  Either way! I’ll take the win!  

Let’s see:

You claimed Ruder backed up the future Heisman winner in Howell at UNC.  UNC lost and Howell was 17 of 32 with three interceptions. 

Claimed Torrey wasn’t anywhere near Adaway’s level and couldn’t break tackles. He ran for 200 plus with most of these after contact. 

Claimed Ruder was head and shoulders ahead of Aune. I thought Aune looked better although it was late in the game. 

Please predict SMU will kill us and win the National championship. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Let’s see:

You claimed Ryder backed up the future Heisman winner in Howell at UNC.  UNC lost and Howell was 17 of 32 with three interceptions. 

Claimed Torrey wasn’t anywhere near Adaay’s level and couldn’t break tackles. He ran for 200 plus with most of these after contact. 

Claimed Ruder was head and shoulders ahead of Aune. I thought Aune looked better although it was late in the game. 

Please predict SMU will kill us and win the National championship. 

Addaway is better than Torrey! And Ruder is better than Aune, get use to it pal! Ruder is your qb! Cheer for him or get a new team, that’s what you guys told me! Preseason Howell was the Heisman Favorite. So was the kid at Clemson! Rattler could barely beat Tulane! I get your dislike for Ruder because you are an Aune apologist! Ruder is a head above heels better athlete than Aune, anyone who isn’t blind can see that Ruder brings aspects to the offense that Aune can’t bring. Mainly RPO. Before the season I said receiver drops bothered me and I was crucified for it! Receivers dropped at least five catchable balls that Ruder threw.  Not to mention the pass pro from our line was awful. But you failed to mention any of that.

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

RPO doesn’t mean the QB has the option to run or pass himself. It almost always means he has the option to hand it off or throw the ball depending on defensive alignment and leverage. We ran RPOs all night. 

It’s not really an RPO college style unless you have a QB who can run and pass like Desmond Ridder. I know it’s tough for people to understand that Ruder brings aspects to our offense that is impossible for Aune to bring, but we will get there. Instead of hating Ruder let’s be more upset our line was awful at protecting Ruder and our receivers were awful at catching balls. Rattler dang near lost to Tulane. Let’s not get over worked up on Ruder he has been here only 3 weeks. First INT from Ruder he was rocked on the blindside and the second one the receiver couldn’t get separation. 

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

It’s not really an RPO college style unless you have a QB who can run and pass like Desmond Ridder. I know it’s tough for people to understand that Ruder brings aspects to our offense that is impossible for Aune to bring, but we will get there. Instead of hating Ruder let’s be more upset our line was awful at protecting Ruder and our receivers were awful at catching balls. Rattler dang near lost to Tulane. Let’s not get over worked up on Ruder he has been here only 3 weeks. First INT from Ruder he was rocked on the blindside and the second one the receiver couldn’t get separation. 

I kinda thought Ruder wasn’t as quick as he’s being painted.   Granted, I’m having to compare him to Bean…. But I thought he was maybe only a tick faster (if that) than Aune.   His deep passes need some work.  And he could definitely use his best WRs instead of 2nd stringers.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I kinda thought Ruder wasn’t as quick as he’s being painted.   Granted, I’m having to compare him to Bean…. But I thought he was maybe only a tick faster (if that) than Aune.   His deep passes need some work.  And he could definitely use his best WRs instead of 2nd stringers.

I get it! You love Aune and you were wrong about Ruder. Ruder when getting free in open field made a couple nice runs, one was a first down. The kid has wheels, I know you will never admit it, but you will see it next game, I guarantee we run more RPO against SMU.  Why show what Ruder can do and give tape to SMUT? He was one of the highest dual threats coming out of HS and only has been with us 3 weeks. I’d be more worried about JT Daniels, Rattler, Ugilahiali and Howell severely disappointing on their first games. Our guy hasn’t played a game in 2 years, he will be fine. I don’t understand your comment about second string receivers. Guys like Jake Roberts really disappointed. What is it you told me when joining here? Get behind the starting qb or find a new team?

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, TIgreen01 said:

Jake Roberts was wide open and dropped a ball,  I get what your saying about Ruder but he will only get better from here, Aune was 2 for 6, he wasn’t much better. The real issue is our line blocking and our receivers dropping balls that extend plays. Receivers also need to get separation and they sucked at that too outside of Burns.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

Addaway is better than Torrey! And Ruder is better than Aune, get use to it pal! Ruder is your qb! Cheer for him or get a new team, that’s what you guys told me! Preseason Howell was the Heisman Favorite. So was the kid at Clemson! Rattler could barely beat Tulane! I get your dislike for Ruder because you are an Aune apologist! Ruder is a head above heels better athlete than Aune, anyone who isn’t blind can see that Ruder brings aspects to the offense that Aune can’t bring. Mainly RPO. Before the season I said receiver drops bothered me and I was crucified for it! Receivers dropped at least five catchable balls that Ruder threw.  Not to mention the pass pro from our line was awful. But you failed to mention any of that.

Actually, I will cheer for whoever lines up as our QB.  I don't dislike Ruder at all and I am not an Aune apologist.  I told you I didn't care who started and that I was actually a fan of Cole Johnson.

Kiper had Howell ranked #7 in his preseason poll.

The pass protection was awful?  I recall Ruder getting hit once that led to an interception. Oline play was far from an issue.

Look, I love your enthusiasm for Ruder and the team, but stop acting like we aren't fans if we don't bang the same drum as you.

Rattler, since you brought him up, was 30 of 39 and didn't "almost lose to Tulane.  That was on OU's defense.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Actually, I will cheer for whoever lines up as our QB.  I don't dislike Ruder at all and I am not an Aune apologist.  I told you I didn't care who started and that I was actually a fan of Cole Johnson.

Kiper had Howell ranked #7 in his preseason poll.

The pass protection was awful?  I recall Ruder getting hit once that led to an interception.

Look, I love your enthusiasm for Ruder and the team, but I have never, but stop acting like we aren't fans if we don't bang the same drum as you.

Dude you must be watching another game. Protection was so bad that Ruder couldn’t even step up and into his throws.  His INT was a blindside hit which was not his fault, and glad this conversation is over, either get on board with Ruder or find a new team. That’s what I’ve been told here since joining. Jake Roberts dropped a wide open catch that was so bad that the announcer fried Him for it.  Pass Blocking and receivers dropping balls were the biggest issues.  Aune was 2 for 6, and wasn’t any better.  I’m not asking you to beat to my drum, just get behind Ruder as you all told me in regards to Aune.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Do you act like a giant gaping asshole in real life or just when anonymously online? 
Asking for a friend. 

Nah just an Asshole to people who are assholes to me! That’s kinda how life works doesn’t it? Get on board with Ruder or find a new team! Isn’t that what you asshats told me to do with Aune? What goes around comes around pal! I couldn’t even have an opinion without turds like you belittling me for it.

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 2

I thought Ruder looked okay, and so did the group of friends sitting with me. Thought there were some timing issues between receivers, and, maybe it was just the DB protection, but he definitely seemed to "lock in" on his targets like Darek Thompson did so many years ago....

Aune on the other hand, I thought looked more comfortable throwing to his receivers, but he was also hamstrung by receivers with brick hands. I wish we had seen more than one series with Aune, but it is what it is. I can definitely see why the QB competition lasted until the final week... Both QBs seem good. I thought Aune looked a bit better, but I'm not willing to say he IS the better QB, since we only saw limited action, late in the game. I trust our coaches to put the best guy out there.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

I thought Ruder looked okay, and so did the group of friends sitting with me. Thought there were some timing issues between receivers, and, maybe it was just the DB protection, but he definitely seemed to "lock in" on his targets like Darek Thompson did so many years ago....

Aune on the other hand, I thought looked more comfortable throwing to his receivers, but he was also hamstrung by receivers with brick hands. I wish we had seen more than one series with Aune, but it is what it is. I can definitely see why the QB competition lasted until the final week... Both QBs seem good. I thought Aune looked a bit better, but I'm not willing to say he IS the better QB, since we only saw limited action, late in the game. I trust our coaches to put the best guy out there.

My thoughts exactly.  If Jace is the guy, and it looks like he is, I support him 100% and look forward to watching him improve through the season.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

Ruder and the offense gave me plenty of room for optimism moving forward. Continued improvement through repetition, and cleaning up plenty of fundamental issues from the first game will lead us to one of the most exciting offenses we’ve seen in Denton. This is a talented roster that needs some experience playing together, and we can be very dangerous. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

7 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

Damn dude!  Go to ponyfans and give them some of that piss and vinegar.  We may not agree on everything, but we all bleed green.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

I get it! You love Aune and you were wrong about Ruder. Ruder when getting free in open field made a couple nice runs, one was a first down. The kid has wheels, I know you will never admit it, but you will see it next game, I guarantee we run more RPO against SMU.  Why show what Ruder can do and give tape to SMUT? He was one of the highest dual threats coming out of HS and only has been with us 3 weeks. I’d be more worried about JT Daniels, Rattler, Ugilahiali and Howell severely disappointing on their first games. Our guy hasn’t played a game in 2 years, he will be fine. I don’t understand your comment about second string receivers. Guys like Jake Roberts really disappointed. What is it you told me when joining here? Get behind the starting qb or find a new team?

Buddy,   Chill.

And I absolutely didn’t say that to you.

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1

11 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

Nah just an Asshole to people who are assholes to me! That’s kinda how life works doesn’t it? Get on board with Ruder or find a new team! Isn’t that what you asshats told me to do with Aune? What goes around comes around pal! I couldn’t even have an opinion without turds like you belittling me for it.

rambo GIF

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Haha 5