Is This the Right Time for President Smatresk to be the Chairman of the CUSA President's Board?

GrayEagle

4 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

What seemed to be a coup for cleaning up CUSA with our president as its Chairman could now work against us.  No one foresaw the demise of the Big XII and putting those members in a new conference is no doubt something in which we would have considerable interest.  That would seem to undermine the future of Conference USA which he will be trying to improve.  If he resigned now and we are unable to get in a better conference we would lose our standing.  

My hope before this was that we could make CUSA more regional by keeping the Western Division as it's base and see if Arkansas State, Louisiana and Texas State would join?  We would then cut the Eastern Division loose to join the Sun Belt.  I think that would be better than what we currently have.

Have to hope that Smatresk will put UNT first but you are correct the timing is off.

• Upvote 3

Concerning re-alignment, when have we ever had good timing?  We’ve never been where we wanted to be when these re-alignment times came up.  

“If ifs & buts were candy & nuts”......if we’d only had Wren Baker in charge of this athletic program about the time we moved football operations across the Interstate to the Mean Green Village.
 From all I hear, WB seems to have friends in strategic intercollegiate places & probably more than any previous AD we’ve had the last several decades.  

🦅

• Upvote 5

I have heard wheels are in motion on three different fronts. With so much in flux this makes sense instead of focusing on just one path. UNT supports CUSA but there is no doubt that every school keeps their options if a better deal is to be had.

Obviously things can change in a hurry, but in my opinion 2 of the 3 are clear upgrades. The third option that seems to be a wash or small step up would have some of the east teams exiting while replacing them with better regional fits.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2