DRC: Oscar Adaway III has torn ACL, where does UNT as once deep backfield takes another hit?

Brett Vito

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: Oscar Adaway III has torn ACL school source confirms to the DRC
14 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

No we do not and this is why this injury combined with SMU illegally stealing our only other power back Siggurs is so devastating.  

Can’t say for sure but Ragsdale looked the part in the clips I saw of fall camp. Definitely recall him running over someone. 

• Upvote 2

I'll probably get down voted for this, but it's not as if we're losing a 1500yd back from last year.

I was as excited as anyone about the potential of Adaway, and his loss is huge, but we just need the next guy (or guys) to step up. We've all been excited about the last couple of classes of running backs UNT was able to recruit, now its their time to shine.

• Upvote 1

I am so sad that Adaway suffered a severe knee injury. Like every NT fan I wish and pray that Adaway has a good recovery and fans can see Adaway play next year!

Remember that RB Deandre Torrey is a very good back too. Some of the game plans this season was for Torrey to move into the slot receiver position with Adaway taking the RB position. Great offensive idea that would work very well IMHO!

So who will replace Adaway? I think Ikaika Ragsdale, Soph, 6-0, 212, is the go to guy.  Ragsdale is a power back like Adaway. Ragsdale has game experience, mainly playing on special teams, so he is familiar with live action. Ragsdale will need to work on pass catching skills out of the backfield. I think he will do very well at RB.

I would like to see RB Keith Jackson, freshman, to see some action just to see how he can handle college ball. But again he is a freshman. ( The only freshman I have ever seen to come into college ball and excell beyond belief is Jamario Thomas who was amazing!) Can Jackson to that?

Who ever replaces Adaway in this offense will be given a chance of a life time! All the backs are rated 3 stars ️! All are good players who compete! The coaches will make the decision on who Adaway’s replacement will be! 

I am confident the coaches will choose the best RB to fit this offense. I am good with all of the backs!

Go Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

No we do not and this is why this injury combined with SMU illegally stealing our only other power back Siggurs is so devastating.  

This is too soon.  We have 3 legit backs that share Adaway's tangibles, and were at or better than him in offers coming out of high school.

Losing Adaway hurts, but there is reason to believe it won't be devastating. We could have someone just as good or better.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: Oscar Adaway III has torn ACL, where does UNT as once deep backfield takes another hit?
3 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

We don't?  What leads you to this conclusion?  Have you seen the other three compete?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

We don't?  What leads you to this conclusion?  Have you seen the other three compete?

I've seen this guy play and he has a lot of the same qualities as Adaway.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/isaiah-johnson/5088

RB is one of the easiest positions to fill. Freshmen do it all the time........Jamario Thomas for example.

addendum:

You never know where the next star will pop up. I remember that the late great Bernard Jackson (#23 on your program) was recruited as a WR/DB out of Dallas Carter by Hayden Fry. By the second spring he was at NT they moved him to RB and 1400 yards later that year, that skinny RB (5'll X 175lbs) made NT history. 

Didn't Siggers spend a year at DB/Safety before he was brought back over to play RB? 

You never know.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Man,  I get the "next guy up" mentality.  The players MUST have this mindset...  but I feel like some of y'all are short-changing the impact losing Adaway will have.   Not every Freshman backup RB is going to be Jamario Thomas. 

I'm hopeful Isaiah, Keith and Ikaika will be able to fill Oscar's shoes, but it's gonna be tough.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Man,  I get the "next guy up" mentality.  The players MUST have this mindset...  but I feel like some of y'all are short-changing the impact losing Adaway will have.   Not every Freshman backup RB is going to be Jamario Thomas. 

I'm hopeful Isaiah, Keith and Ikaika will be able to fill Oscar's shoes, but it's gonna be tough.

Adaway was the most talented guy we had on offense. its a shame he is out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, GOMeanGO said:

Adaway was the most talented guy we had on offense. its a shame he is out. 

I agree here, was really excited to see what he could do with a full season and more touches. Torrey coming back will certainly help and we have to hope another of the newcomers shows out.