Ruder got 1st snaps?

Tom McKrackin

3 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

He is the first real Dual Threat QB we have had in a Litrell Regime. I dont understand why so many people carry water for Aune. He was incredibly average and only scored when it didnt matter and we were getting blown out.. 

You’ve been here all of a couple of hours. If Jace Ruder is legit, he won’t need you as his hype man. We will see. You don’t know jack squat about North Texas quarterbacks dual threat or otherwise. The only thing you know is that your son/brother/friend never had the starting job at UNC and fell behind younger players on the depth chart. He needed a place to resurrect his career because Mack Brown no longer needed his services. He chose North Texas because he thought it would be easy. Trust me,  it won’t be. He will have to earn every step, if he doesn’t, he can transfer back out like the 12th ranked 247 pro-style quarterback from 2011 did after he sucked here. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 8

5 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

LOL Ruder was 4 for 5 for 80 yards and a TD in his only action at North Carolina which came against Georgia Tech. Its not his fault Sam Howell came to NC, and who gives a rats behind what Berglund thinks or believes, its straight from 247 sports, he was the 15th ranked dual threat Qb out of HS, and was at scouting events with Justin Fields all the dang time. I get it that you like and enjoy average qb play from a former baseball player in a bad division, but you clearly don't get it. Aune was only played because Bean was so bad. If Ruder wasnt starting it would probably be Drummond fighting for the starting spot with Aune. Aune is an after thought. If he starts over Ruder its more of a failure on Litrell than anything else. I equate this to starting Torrey over Ataway.  I get that Torrey is the veteran player, but he clearly isnt better than Ataway and he clearly wasnt better than Siggers, and thats why he transferred.  This is very much a Buechele argument. How do you know Ruder wouldnt have thrown 30 or more TDS if Howell didnt show up? To think Ruder wouldnt dominate conference USA is utterly preposterous. Ruder will bring RPO in a way that the mean green has never had it. He can literally run and pass. He isnt like Bean Or Aune. Where Bean can run, but cant throw, and Aune who can pass but not run. Ruder can do it all. And Buechelle losing his job to Ehlinger is heck of a lot worst than Ruder losing to Howell. 

You clearly didn’t watch a game of ours last season if you think Aune can’t run. He wasn’t Bean fast but he was quick enough. 

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

If a 30 year old QB is the best we can do, then we have bigger problems then what is seen on paper. 

Friendly reminder that a 28 year old QB has won the Heisman.  Age isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

I don't really care either way: I want the best QB to have the job and hope they kick ass.  But I have seen enough to know that Aune deserves the benefit of the doubt.  1) He was returning to the game after a long break, and 2) QBs have demonstrated massive leaps in performance from year 1 to year 2.  The pre-season rumor mill is, that this is happening for Aune.

Best wishes to both of them.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

I think Ruder starts over Aune for the following reasons.

1) He was a highly sought after transfer

2) He lost his job to the Heisman Award Candidate in Sam Howell, no shame in losing to that guy. 

3) When he did play in games at NC he did exceptionally well. 

4) Aune was never the answer, and was a filler till we found a guy to replace Mason

5) Ruder gives us the best chance to win games and put points on the board.  He should absolutely dominate this division the way Buechelle did for SMUTU.

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

Don't get me wrong here, I absolutely love Ruder and what he has to bring, BUT Aune is not a leather shoe (IYKYK)

He gained 1 year of crucial experience with the offense, and has the chemistry with some of the guys . Let's not forget he didn't have a QB coach, who was wrongfully accused, to help him progress through 2020. If anything, Aune is one of the top QBs in CUSA. Not that high of a bar, but he is a good QB.

I'm not a Aune homer nor Ruder homer, I just want consistency and winning. If Aune does that, awesome! If Ruder does that, awesome! 

To make you feel better, I ran a poll on my Instagram and Ruder had 150 votes to Aune's 135.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

The truth is that NT is in a lot better shape at the QB position than they were last year.  I did like Bean, but don't think he would have been the answer.  

Aune could be one of the best QB's in CUSA with one year current experience.   He is not a great passer or runner, but does a good job at both.   

If Ruder is better, it will be great for NT because he is going to have to beat out a good QB.  I don't think that will happen, but I will be happy to have a competent backup. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

8 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

I think its more embarrassing to lose your job to Ehlinger than to lose it to Sam Howell. If a 30 year old QB is our guy of the present and future then I really should stop watching UNT football. At that point its just downright embarrassing that the best we can do is a 33 year old guy. Heck if Aune keeps it up he may join the work force at 40. We will never know because one dude lost his job to a Heisman Trophy Winner that will go number one overall, while the other lost his job to a bum sixth round pick and transferred to SMU. Ruder deserves to start the first game, we already know what grandpa can do. 

Howell isn’t winning the Heisman nor is he going #1 in next year’s draft. I hope Ruder does win the job, but there is no reason to badmouth Aune. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Yet, Torrey averaged 5.8 ypc to Stiggers 5.4 ypc.  Adaway also averaged 5.8 ypc.

I guess NT just blocks better for Torrey to disguise his lack of running ability

Torrey is a good rb, I don't think he is flashy as some others, but he does appear to block well which is a very valuable trait. 

It is my belief there are few if any HC's that want to undermine their own success by playing favorites in lieu of better options. 

The only rb I know of that played and left was Stiggers and if you believe him; it was to play with his dream team.

15 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Where 24/7 ranked Ruder doesn't matter anymore, and Sam Howell has nothing to do with this conversation.  If Ruder wants to start, he'll need to beat out Austin Aune in camp.  That's it.

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Howell isn’t winning the Heisman nor is he going #1 in next year’s draft. I hope Ruder does win the job, but there is no reason to badmouth Aune. 

LOL Howell will win the Heisman and will go number one overall.  He is the best QB in college football. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

9 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

Don't get me wrong here, I absolutely love Ruder and what he has to bring, BUT Aune is not a leather shoe (IYKYK)

He gained 1 year of crucial experience with the offense, and has the chemistry with some of the guys . Let's not forget he didn't have a QB coach, who was wrongfully accused, to help him progress through 2020. If anything, Aune is one of the top QBs in CUSA. Not that high of a bar, but he is a good QB.

I'm not a Aune homer nor Ruder homer, I just want consistency and winning. If Aune does that, awesome! If Ruder does that, awesome! 

To make you feel better, I ran a poll on my Instagram and Ruder had 150 votes to Aune's 135.

I dont understand the love for a Kid who isnt that good, and why they would rather him see action than a guy who was clearly more sought after out of HS. Ruder deserves every shot at PT, we know what Aune can and cant do. We have no clue what Ruder can do.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You’ve been here all of a couple of hours. If Jace Ruder is legit, he won’t need you as his hype man. We will see. You don’t know jack squat about North Texas quarterbacks dual threat or otherwise. The only thing you know is that your son/brother/friend never had the starting job at UNC and fell behind younger players on the depth chart. He needed a place to resurrect his career because Mack Brown no longer needed his services. He chose North Texas because he thought it would be easy. Trust me,  it won’t be. He will have to earn every step, if he doesn’t, he can transfer back out like the 12th ranked 247 pro-style quarterback from 2011 did after he sucked here. 

I am a 2012 Alumni of UNT! I know as much if not more about UNT football than you do. Especially the Litrell era, considering I have attended every single game at Apogee since his hiring. All I see is a bunch of dudes arguing to keep the status quo instead of wishing this team take the best step toward winning. Aune is not the answer, and Torrey isnt the best RB on the team, its painful truths only homers cant come to grips with. Its no different than defending why Pirtle should be starting over Asher and Jake. There is a huge difference between being a fan and a homer.

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The truth is that NT is in a lot better shape at the QB position than they were last year.  I did like Bean, but don't think he would have been the answer.  

Aune could be one of the best QB's in CUSA with one year current experience.   He is not a great passer or runner, but does a good job at both.   

If Ruder is better, it will be great for NT because he is going to have to beat out a good QB.  I don't think that will happen, but I will be happy to have a competent backup. 

Neither had a legit QB coach. Take that into account. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

I dont understand the love for a Kid who isnt that good, and why they would rather him see action than a guy who was clearly more sought after out of HS. Ruder deserves every shot at PT, we know what Aune can and cant do. We have no clue what Ruder can do.

Don't back down now!!  😂

Also, Aune committed pretty early to TCU in 2011 and was widely known to be a baseball stud.  He wasn't pursued as hard out of high school  (again, we're talking about high school, which means absolutely nothing with transfers) because schools knew he was a risk to show up on campus.

Look, I think just about everyone here knows Littrell is on the hot seat.   He's not going to torpedo his career to prop up Austin Aune's career.    If Ruder comes in and beats him for the job, he'll do it fair & square.  If he doesn't, it's because he's not as good as Aune in Littrell's/Bloesch's/Mainord's/Joseph's eyes.

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Don't back down now!!  😂

Also, Aune committed pretty early to TCU in 2011 and was widely known to be a baseball stud.  He wasn't pursued as hard out of high school  (again, we're talking about high school, which means absolutely nothing with transfers) because schools knew he was a risk to show up on campus.

Look, I think just about everyone here knows Littrell is on the hot seat.   He's not going to torpedo his career to prop up Austin Aune's career.    If Ruder comes in and beats him for the job, he'll do it fair & square.  If he doesn't, it's because he's not as good as Aune in Littrell's/Bloesch's/Mainord's/Joseph's eyes.

Considering Ruder is getting first team reps right now instead of Aune, I am confident to say the Austin Aune days could and should be over. I wouldnt go down on a sinking ship with a QB who got a majority of his points in second half play when the game was out of hand and scoring really didnt matter. I get people are homers here and dont like change, but change is needed to win.  Torrey should not be getting more carries than Adaway, Pirtle should not be getting more reps than Roberts, and Aune should not be starting over Ruder. If any of these things happen, then Litrell might as well fire himself for making bad decisions. 

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, GOMeanGO said:

Considering Ruder is getting first round reps right now instead of Aune, I am confident to say the Austin Aune days could and should be over. I wouldnt go down on a sinking ship with a QB who got a majority of his points in second half play when the game was out of hand and scoring really didnt matter. I get people are homers here and dont like change, but change is needed to win.  Torrey should not be getting more carries than Adaway, Pirtle should not be getting more reps than Roberts, and Aune should not be starting over Ruder. If any of these things happen, then Litrell might as well fire himself for making bad decisions. 

They're both practicing with the 1's.   
That's good!   Competition is always good... for whoever wins the job.   Be it Aune, or Ruder!

• Upvote 5

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Again, color me skeptical that you're a 2012 alumnus.   If so, welcome to GMG.com...  9 years later!   What do you think about the O-Line?   D-Line?  Will the secondary improve?
I don't know of anyone who says Torrey is better than Adaway around here.   I think you're arguing with yourself on that thread.

And your only evidence that Ruder is better than Aune is Sam Howell's ability & Ruder's 2018 High School 247 ranking.   Neither mean jack squat here & now.

Why does it matter when I join this forum ohh Ancient One? Are you the keeper of the proverbial gate here? I earned a Gerontology and Sociology Major at UNT, and often considered a masters.  Nah I am not arguing with myself on that post, its obvious by the down votes of me saying Adaway is better than Torey, that there are plenty of homers here, who cant see real talent when it hits the field. I guess some arent tired of those half yard carries by Torrey on 4th down that lead to turnover on downs. No Evidence? Name one QB outside of possibly Spencer Rattler who could beat out Sam Howell as a starting QB? You are such a homer man! I get it that you like the status quo with Aune, but for the sakes of the us fans and the team, you need to pray Ruder is as good as people say he is. Aune isnt the answer now or ever.  Mason Fine is the expectation that is now set at UNT. Not Mcnulty. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

They're both practicing with the 1's.   
That's good!   Competition is always good... for whoever wins the job.   Be it Aune, or Ruder!

Ruder needs to be the starter, if he blows it stick in Aune, because at that point there is nothing else to lose. Being ok with status quo is not ok here! Mason Fine is the expectations we need to have here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Ruder needs to be the starter, if he blows it stick in Aune, because at that point there is nothing else to lose. Being ok with status quo is not ok here! Mason Fine is the expectations we need to have here. 

YES!!   
Outside of declaring Ruder the starter before Fall Practice (re: competition) is over, we're 100% on the same page.

EDIT:   As a reminder, Mason Fine's 1st year #s were worse than Aune's (and Fine played in more games).    Could it be possible that Aune improves in year 2 to at or near Fine's #s?

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 7