Ruder got 1st snaps?

Tom McKrackin

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If you have been following North Texas football throughout your time at UNT and after, then you should be very familiar with the Brock Berglunds, Demarcus Smiths, and Alec Morris of our recent history and should understand our hesitancy to crown Ruder  before he has done anything worthwhile in a green jersey.

Alec Morris was a huge disappointment, but we also had Mason Fine in the wings as well. We had QB Depth.  I would love to have a QB Situation like that, but we already know Aune isnt Mason Fine, and we dont know what we have in Ruder till we kick the tires a bit. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

And yet it was a shock to UNC when Ruder announced he was transferring. They had no intention of cutting him or letting him go. Again, goes to show the kind of player and person Ruder is. 

I don’t think this is true. Ruder said that this was sort of an agreed upon deal between he and the coaching staff that he would be gone after the season.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-182275683/jacepod

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

OK.   Let's go slow.

1.  "By saying Aune had a better first year than Fine"    -  This is not refutable.  The #'s don't lie.
2.  "and saying his numbers could only get better,"    -  Uh oh, the wheels fell off.   Because I DIDN'T SAY THAT.
3.  "which infers they could be better than Fine,"     -  It infers nothing because the previous is not true.
4.  "is in fact inferring Aune could be better than Fine"    -  y=2x  
5.  "... I had likes..."   -   My man, you care too much about reputation points.

1) You are now accepting that Aune is better than Fine due to some sort of meaningless stats, Thanks for admitting that.

2) Your previous statement was how Aune had a better year than Fine, and following up with the statement his numbers could only get better in year two, which also infers you believe in your heart of hearts his second season could go better than Fines. 

3) Your statements are contradictory if you dont believe Aune is better than Fine, because your statements show the opposite. 

4) Self Explanatory

5) The Likes kind of prove the point you said Aune could be better than Fine.

6) You have to be absolutely high out of your mind to think Aune is anything close to Mason Fine. You are comparing an 18 year olds performance right out of HS playing for a start up program compared to a 26 yr old playing in an established program. The situation of the two players are polar opposites. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Are you kidding me? You want to hand the job to Ruder before he proves himself here because of who he backed up at UNC and his 247 rating and then you act like anybody knew Mason was going to be anything at North Texas before his first game? Mason had one, ONE, FBS scholarship offer so don’t sit there saying we knew we had depth because nobody knew what Fine would become at that time.

Mason Fine was a 2X Gatorade player of the year in Oklahoma at QB, and Passing was never the question, it was size. Tulsa said multiple times they would have offered a scholarship if he were bigger. No one wants a 5'9 QB. Its to no fault of Mason. Ruder needs to prove himself in a live game situation, I could care less about scrimmages. If you are going to argue at least dont be disingenuous. Mason was a known commodity. I knew the first time he took the Field, he had something going for him.  Scholarships arent the test of a player. Look at Baker Mayfield.  Sometimes its just opportunity meets luck. For all our sakes we better hope Ruder is a great QB, because I promise Aune isnt winning us six games.  If he does, then you can give me crap all you want. He give me no confidence. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I don’t think this is true. Ruder said that this was sort of an agreed upon deal between he and the coaching staff that he would be gone after the season.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-182275683/jacepod

He was Sam Howells mentor according to this article, I think he didnt want to be a mentor and wanted to play QB. Its like a Quinn and Mason scenario. 

Props to Ruder for sticking with the team despite not becoming the starter and instead finding his role as a vocal leader. Ruder served as a mentor with real game experience for Sam Howell in 2019 as he navigated his rookie year in Chapel Hill. This past season, Ruder was able to play a similar role for true freshmen Jacolby Criswell and Jefferson Boaz

(My favorite part was the following!) Props to Ruder for sticking with the team despite not becoming the starter and instead finding his role as a vocal leader. Ruder served as a mentor with real game experience for Sam Howell in 2019 as he navigated his rookie year in Chapel Hill.

So you mean he lost a starting QB battle to Sam Howell the best QB in the nation, kinda like I have been saying? " You dont say!"

https://www.tarheelblog.com/2021/2/3/22262968/unc-football-jace-ruder-transferring-north-texas-sam-howell-mack-brown-north-carolina-tar-heels

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Mason Fine was a 2X Gatorade player of the year in Oklahoma at QB, and Passing was never the question, it was size. Tulsa said multiple times they would have offered a scholarship if he were bigger. No one wants a 5'9 QB. Its to no fault of Mason. Ruder needs to prove himself in a live game situation, I could care less about scrimmages. If you are going to argue at least dont be disingenuous. Mason was a known commodity. I knew the first time he took the Field, he had something going for him.  Scholarships arent the test of a player. Look at Baker Mayfield.  Sometimes its just opportunity meets luck. For all our sakes we better hope Ruder is a great QB, because I promise Aune isnt winning us six games.  If he does, then you can give me crap all you want. He give me no confidence. 

Baker Mayfield had scholarship offers. He felt he was too good for them. Maybe he was right. You can’t say 247 ranking for one player and then ignore it for the other because you already have his career stats. I hope Ruder is great but he hasn’t shown that at North Texas yet. Until he does, you are just blowing hot air.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

11 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

He was Sam Howells mentor according to this article, I think he didnt want to be a mentor and wanted to play QB. Its like a Quinn and Mason scenario. 

Props to Ruder for sticking with the team despite not becoming the starter and instead finding his role as a vocal leader. Ruder served as a mentor with real game experience for Sam Howell in 2019 as he navigated his rookie year in Chapel Hill. This past season, Ruder was able to play a similar role for true freshmen Jacolby Criswell and Jefferson Boaz

https://www.tarheelblog.com/2021/2/3/22262968/unc-football-jace-ruder-transferring-north-texas-sam-howell-mack-brown-north-carolina-tar-heels

So you are saying Jace Ruder is just as good as Quinn Shanbour was?

• Haha 4
  • Ray 1

2 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

1) You are now accepting that Aune is better than Fine due to some sort of meaningless stats, Thanks for admitting that.

2) Your previous statement was how Aune had a better year than Fine, and following up with the statement his numbers could only get better in year two, which also infers you believe in your heart of hearts his second season could go better than Fines. 

3) Your statements are contradictory if you dont believe Aune is better than Fine, because your statements show the opposite. 

4) Self Explanatory

5) The Likes kind of prove the point you said Aune could be better than Fine.

6) You have to be absolutely high out of your mind to think Aune is anything close to Mason Fine. You are comparing an 18 year olds performance right out of HS playing for a start up program compared to a 26 yr old playing in an established program. The situation of the two players are polar opposites. 

HandsomeVariableGalapagosalbatross-max-1
Oh.   Well, nothing gets by you.   You got me.   I truly believe in my heart of hearts that Austin Aune is MOST DEFINITELY better than Mason Fine.   No one will ever convince me otherwise.   Never Jace Ruder.

We need to go ahead and clear out the #1 spot in all of the record books because by 2025, Aune will be #1 in all Passing stats.    Heck, let's be perfectly honest:  he's proven he's so good, Lance Dunbar needs to watch out for his rushing records and Jaelon his receiving records as well!

Also,  I not only think Torrey should start over Adaway, but I also think if Adaway sees the field over Dawson Nobriga, Littrell should be fired on the spot.   Adaway is clearly a garbage RB.   I dunno what he's even doing in a FBS uniform.

JASON PIRTLE WILL SET THE SINGLE SEASON RECEIVING RECORD IN 2021!!!1!!   BOOK IT.   (Don't worry though, Austin Aune will promptly break that record in 2022 when he realizes he doesn't have a receiver nearly as good as Pirtle, and just throws passes to himself.)

Sadly, you didn't hear it from me first though, because someone downvoted the new guy, so they believed this before I did.    Whoever you are, SHOW YOURSELF!!!!1!1!!!1    You deserve more credit than me!!!!!1!!1!1!1!

• Haha 2

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Baker Mayfield had scholarship offers. He felt he was too good for them. Maybe he was right. You can’t say 247 ranking for one player and then ignore it for the other because you already have his career stats. I hope Ruder is great but he hasn’t shown that at North Texas yet. Until he does, you are just blowing hot air.

Its hard to show talent when you havent played a game yet right? And the Scholarships he was offered werent to big schools, he took his chance as a walk on at Texas Tech. So technically no he wasn't a scholarship find. The Texas Tech Qb who had the scholarship was Davis Webb. 

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh.   Well, nothing gets by you.   You got me.   I truly believe in my heart of hearts that Austin Aune is MOST DEFINITELY better than Mason Fine.   No one will ever convince me otherwise.   Never Jace Ruder.

We need to go ahead and clear out the #1 spot in all of the record books because by 2025, Aune will be #1 in all Passing stats.    Heck, let's be perfectly honest:  he's proven he's so good, Lance Dunbar needs to watch out for his rushing records and Jaelon his receiving records as well!

Also,  I not only think Torrey should start over Adaway, but I also think if Adaway sees the field over Dawson Nobriga, Littrell should be fired on the spot.   Adaway is clearly a garbage RB.   I dunno what he's even doing in a FBS uniform.

JASON PIRTLE WILL SET THE SINGLE SEASON RECEIVING RECORD IN 2021!!!1!!   BOOK IT.   (Don't worry though, Austin Aune will promptly break that record in 2022 when he realizes he doesn't have a receiver nearly as good as Pirtle, and just throws passes to himself.)

Sadly, you didn't hear it from me first though, because someone downvoted the new guy, so they believed this before I did.    Whoever you are, SHOW YOURSELF!!!!1!1!!!1    You deserve more credit than me!!!!!1!!1!1!1!

And I thought your original post saying Aune was a better freshman player than Fine was sarcasm. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Literally no one is arguing for Aune over Ruder. People are just saying that he isn’t going to be handed the job because of his 247 rating. That’s it. 
Also no one is arguing that Torrey should or will start over Adaway. 

No one. 

He's swinging anyways! Don't get in the way!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

So you are saying Jace Ruder is just as good as Quinn Shanbour was?

No I am saying he lost the starting job to Sam Howell and was forced to be his mentor. Since when did Quinn ever have a real shot at the starting gig? He was always backing up Mason, or Alec Morris and Mason. And since when has Mason been Sam Howell? 

3 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

No I am saying he lost the starting job to Sam Howell and was forced to be his mentor. Since when did Quinn ever have a real shot at the starting gig? He was always backing up Mason, or Alec Morris and Mason. And since when has Mason been Sam Howell? 

You said Jace wasn’t good enough to start at UNC and was relegated to the position of unpaid coach to mentor younger players  who passed him by. You said he was Quinm Shanbour, not me.

Edited by Cr1028

3 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Anyone who even thinks Aune should start or given the opportunity to start should be put to pasture. Id rather roll with Drummond than go with Aune, thats how strongly I feel about this.

Well Drummond does have a higher 247 rating as a HS quarterback than Ruder does as a transfer so yes, switch your 247 game and start talking about how Ruder and  Aune are bums and that Drummond should start ahead of them based on his 247 rating.

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I blame @Quoner and @the tasty greek for what happened to this man. CBL did try at least.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

You said Jace wasn’t good enough to start at UNC and was relegated to the position of unpaid coach. You said he was Quinm Shanbour, not me.

Just now, Cr1028 said:

You said Jace wasn’t good enough to start at UNC and was relegated to the position of unpaid coach. You said he was Quinm Shanbour, not me.

Its the closest thing to relate to in the UNT world.  He and Howell battled it out in 2019 for the starting gig and Howell took it and didnt look back, and after two years of mentoring Howell and the other guys, he wanted a shot to play somewhere. I cant exactly blame him. None of the other guys are going to unseat Howell either. Might as well play when you have eligibility. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Well Drummond does have a higher 247 rating as a HS quarterback than Ruder does as a transfer so yes, switch your 247 game and start talking about how Ruder and  Aune are bums and that Drummond should start ahead of them based on his 247 rating.

Honestly the QB competition should be between Drummond and Ruder.  You will get no argument from me on this one. 

44 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Maybe Ruder leaving UNC was inevitable with Mack Brown and Jacolby Criswell coming in.

Or Maybe he didnt want to waste eligibility waiting for Sam Howell to leave. Jacolby wasnt going to get PT either. Lets not let that little fact get in the way. No one is getting the gig over Sam Howell.

Edited by GOMeanGO

1 minute ago, GOMeanGO said:

Or Maybe he didnt want to waste eligibility waiting for Sam Howell to leave. Jacolby wasnt going to get PT either. Lets not let that little fact get in the way.

You’re right, Criswell wasn’t going to get playing time over Howell, he was only going to get more than Shanbour, I mean Ruder. You got me all confused now that I know Ruder is good as Shanbour was. I am glad that you finally put it out there that Mason is every bit as good as Baker Mayfield. I appreciate your commentary. I was a big Shanbour and Mason fan so I look forward to continued mentorship for our other quarterbacks.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

LOL Howell will win the Heisman and will go number one overall.  He is the best QB in college football. 

Am I in the right thread? For as much as you mention Howell, you might do better over on a UNC board.

I don't think anyone is against your initial point, just turn it down a few pegs. No need to lambast Aune to prop up Ruder. It's obvious this is very much a competition for QB1, not something Ruder can just stroll into the starting job for as has been mentioned several times previously.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

First of all, I hope that Aune and Ruder push one another enough to improve overall QB play. So that if something tragic happens during the season, there is not a fall off the cliff in overall QB performance.  I'll have to disagree with Mr. Go about the value of scrimmages. If you are able to attended the non-advertised scrimmages (audiences generally not invited) in the spring and fall, you can get a great opportunity to assess everyone's abilities.......and potential.

As much as I like Torrey as a RB, I think that what I'm reading about what the coaches are doing with him (working him in as a part-time slot receiver) is more ideal. Torrey is absolutely at his best when he has more space to work with.  Get the ball in his hands in a one-on-one with a DB or LB and he could be very devastating.......more so than he already is. He could be almost as effective as Darden was.....almost. Of course, he has better tackle-breaking ability than Darden, so maybe he could be just as effective.  So I have to rate Mr. Attaway and Mr. Johnson as the most ideal RB's just running from scrimmage.

If the O-line doesn't live up to it's "potential" this year, all this debate about Ruder, Aune, Drummond...and don't forget Martin,  is fairly moot. It'll then go back to the old situation of whoever can get rid of the ball fastest, or run for his life and throw on the run best, or just make a few yards running on a broken play.

AND, just as important as the QB situation is the development of the DL this season. I'm just as interested in this.....and just as concerned.

• Upvote 2