Ruder got 1st snaps?

Tom McKrackin

1 hour ago, GOMeanGO said:

I dont understand the love for a Kid who isnt that good, and why they would rather him see action than a guy who was clearly more sought after out of HS. Ruder deserves every shot at PT, we know what Aune can and cant do. We have no clue what Ruder can do.

Just wondering if you think trying to piss off people and act like an ass is the right way try and make your point? How about you focus on what Ruder can do and stop trying to bad mouth others. At the end of the day, if you are a Mean Green fan, your hope should be that the player who performs best plays. 

• Upvote 7

29 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just wondering if you think trying to piss off people and act like an ass is the right way try and make your point? How about you focus on what Ruder can do and stop trying to bad mouth others. At the end of the day, if you are a Mean Green fan, your hope should be that the player who performs best plays. 

At the end of the day I do hope the best player plays. Thats why Adaway should play over Torrey and Roberts should play over Pirtle, I have kind of driven that point home on several of my posts. I am sorry there are snowflakes on this forum who cant handle discussion here. Im not the one going around accusing people of never attending UNT like others do here. "Color me a Skeptic!" PFFT! Color me a skeptic in regards to the fact he doesnt know what the heck he is talking about. LOL Aune is as good if not better than Mason Fine. That was a good one. 

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think Ruder will be the guy too but regarding the statement “we know what Aune can and can’t do,” consider this.

Aune took the majority of the snaps at QB in 4 games. In those 4 games he threw for 1,299 yards with 12 TDs against 2 INTs. Extrapolate those numbers across a full 12-game season that’s 3,897 yards and 36 TDs/6 INTs. That would be a good bit better than any regular season Fine put together. Much more Fine-esque than McNulty-esque.

Do we know for a fact that Aune can’t put those numbers together for a full season? No, we don’t. We have a good idea that he can’t because he also had a flop of a game against MTSU that lost him his job, but we know he’s capable of putting up big numbers and have reason to believe he would be better this year. 

Again, I think Ruder wins the job too but:

1. Like others have said, it’s going to be because Ruder beats him out, not because of his HS rankings.

2. Aune’s production indicates he’s not a bad player at all. If he is improved by a reasonable margin, he’s definitely a player we can win games with provided the defense is competent this year.

I cant argue against what you are saying. I applaud you for the post! Thank you for staying on topic here. 

1) I made this point to show there was more interest in Ruder than Aune coming out of HS, and Ruder was getting as many looks as Justin Fields, which is true.

2) Aune isnt a horrible player, but we can do better.  Extrapolating his numbers doesnt really hold water for me. He was never brought in to be the long term guy with Jason Bean on the roster. I honestly dont even think you allow Aune to play unless Ruder falls on his face. Aune is no Mason Fine. 

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

YES!!   
Outside of declaring Ruder the starter before Fall Practice (re: competition) is over, we're 100% on the same page.

EDIT:   As a reminder, Mason Fine's 1st year #s were worse than Aune's (and Fine played in more games).    Could it be possible that Aune improves in year 2 to at or near Fine's #s?

Could it be you are wrong? How in the world can anyone truly believe Aune is as good or better than Mason Fine? Ive heard it all folks. Aune is better than Mason Fine and Torrey is better than Jeff Wilson Jr. Color me a skeptic!

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

Ruder with his size and being a dual threat is a huge advantage over Anne. How many dual threat  qb's have we lost to that just had average arms? Being that he will run opens him up to possible injury (hope not) and it will be great having Anne back him up. When will update the players weights? He looks bigger. GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Ruder with his size and being a dual threat is a huge advantage over Anne. How many dual threat  qb's have we lost to that just had average arms? Being that he will run opens him up to possible injury (hope not) and it will be great having Anne back him up. When will update the players weights? He looks bigger. GMG

The people here who think Aune is a dual threat didnt just miss the boat, they missed the ocean. Bean was suppose to be a Dual Threat, but he couldn't throw. Ruder is a game changer especially in RPO situations. You can design a run with him and have confidence it wont be a 5 yard loss. I truly am excited about this years talent. I have a good feeling the defense will finally turn it around. We just have to score early and keep the foot on the pedal and not let up. 

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

The people here who think Aune is a dual threat didnt just miss the boat, they missed the ocean. Bean was suppose to be a Dual Threat, but he couldn't throw. Ruder is a game changer especially in RPO situations. You can design a run with him and have confidence it wont be a 5 yard loss. I truly am excited about this years talent. I have a good feeling the defense will finally turn it around. We just have to score early and keep the foot on the pedal and not let up. 

Just out of curiosity, how do you know what Rucker can do?  He has not played in years, he may or may not be a good QB. 

I hope and think that NT's QB play will improve, no matter who wins the starting position. 

Aune is a proved commodity at this point, so NT is a good position.  NT either has an improved Aune or a better QB starting. 

I agree I think the defense will be substantially improved, and that NT will do much better than the 3 or 4 wins most are predicting. 

13 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Amen to the bolded text! Quality talent with quality depth and a greatly improved defense are huge steps in the right direction. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GrandGreen said:

Just out of curiosity, how do you know what Rucker can do?  He has not played in years, he may or may not be a good QB. 

I hope and think that NT's QB play will improve, no matter who wins the starting position. 

Aune is a proved commodity at this point, so NT is a good position.  NT either has an improved Aune or a better QB starting. 

I agree I think the defense will be substantially improved, and that NT will do much better than the 3 or 4 wins most are predicting. 

He was the Scout team QB for UNC the last 2 seasons, and was even practicing with the team up till his transfer was announced. UNC had no plans of cutting him lose or letting him go, he just wanted a shot to start at a University that could give him better opportunities than what he had there. UNTs offense is perfect for a QB to showcase his skills.  Aune hasnt proven anything except he cant score in the first half of games. He is a great backup, and we are lucky to have him, but he isnt what we need to hang our hat on and call it a crowning achievement. You find a guy till he is as good if not better than Mason Fine, Aune isnt that guy. Is Ruder? I dont know, but I guarantee you he has a higher ceiling than Aune, considering where he transferred from, and the fact they didnt expect him to leave. UNC has nothing but positive things to say about Ruder. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

21 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Could it be you are wrong? How in the world can anyone truly believe Aune is as good or better than Mason Fine? Ive heard it all folks. Aune is better than Mason Fine and Torrey is better than Jeff Wilson Jr. Color me a skeptic!

Wrong about what?   I'm not the one making definitive statements.  
You need to re-read what I said.   Who said Aune is better than Fine?    Who said Torrey is better than Wilson?

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wrong about what?   I'm not the one making definitive statements.  
You need to re-read what I said.   Who said Aune is better than Fine?    Who said Torrey is better than Wilson?

Are you the one who made the following statement inferring Aune is as good if not better than Fine?

As a reminder, Mason Fine's 1st year #s were worse than Aune's (and Fine played in more games).    Could it be possible that Aune improves in year 2 to at or near Fine's #s?

Just now, Cr1028 said:

You keep popping off about Sam Howell but Ruder couldn’t beat out Jacolby Criswell either.

Just now, Cr1028 said:

You keep popping off about Sam Howell but Ruder couldn’t beat out Jacolby Criswell either.

And yet it was a shock to UNC when Ruder announced he was transferring. They had no intention of cutting him or letting him go. Again, goes to show the kind of player and person Ruder is. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Are you the one who made the following statement inferring Aune is as good if not better than Fine?

As a reminder, Mason Fine's 1st year #s were worse than Aune's (and Fine played in more games).    Could it be possible that Aune improves in year 2 to at or near Fine's #s?

If you have been following North Texas football throughout your time at UNT and after, then you should be very familiar with the Brock Berglunds, Demarcus Smiths, and Alec Morris of our recent history and should understand our hesitancy to crown Ruder  before he has done anything worthwhile in a green jersey.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, GOMeanGO said:

And yet it was a shock to UNC when Ruder announced he was transferring. They had no intention of cutting him or letting him go. Again, goes to show the kind of player and person Ruder is. 

It was a shock to us to see Kuehne go. He was a good player and person as well so what is your point?

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I love your energy man.    But you're comprehension is low.

You understand the difference between "IS" and "Could it be possible", right?    One is definitive.  The other leaves the door open to what's possible.

There is no way anyone could say right now that Aune IS as good or better than Fine.   He hasn't done what Fine has done.

I can't believe I'm having to type this.

By saying Aune had a better first year than Fine, and saying his numbers could only get better, which infers they could be better than Fine, is in fact inferring Aune could be better than Fine. I can read, and I had likes in regards to my response to you. 

• Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Cr1028 said:

It was a shock to us to see Kuehne go. He was a good player and person as well so what is your point?

You had to go there? Since when was Will Kuehne as highly sought after as Jace Ruder?  Was he going to passing camps with guys like Justin Fields? Kuehne leaving wasn't a shock, it was the inevitable with Drummond coming on board. He would have either been cut or forced to transfer like Cade Pearson. 

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, GOMeanGO said:

By saying Aune had a better first year than Fine, and saying his numbers could only get better, which infers they could be better than Fine, is in fact inferring Aune could be better than Fine. I can read, and I had likes in regards to my response to you. 

OK.   Let's go slow.

1.  "By saying Aune had a better first year than Fine"    -  This is not refutable.  The #'s don't lie.
2.  "and saying his numbers could only get better,"    -  Uh oh, the wheels fell off.   Because I DIDN'T SAY THAT.
3.  "which infers they could be better than Fine,"     -  It infers nothing because the previous is not true.
4.  "is in fact inferring Aune could be better than Fine"    -  y=2x  
5.  "... I had likes..."   -   My man, you care too much about reputation points.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

You had to go there? Since when was Will Kuehne as highly sought after as Jace Ruder?  Was he going to passing camps with guys like Justin Fields? Kuehne leaving wasn't a shock, it was the inevitable with Drummond coming on board. He would have either been cut or forced to transfer like Cade Pearson. 

Maybe Ruder leaving UNC was inevitable with Mack Brown and Jacolby Criswell coming in.

• Haha 1