Ruder got 1st snaps?

Tom McKrackin

On 8/14/2021 at 9:10 PM, peanuts104 said:

They're probably switching off like they did last off season.

I think Ruder starts over Aune for the following reasons.

1) He was a highly sought after transfer

2) He lost his job to the Heisman Award Candidate in Sam Howell, no shame in losing to that guy. 

3) When he did play in games at NC he did exceptionally well. 

4) Aune was never the answer, and was a filler till we found a guy to replace Mason

5) Ruder gives us the best chance to win games and put points on the board.  He should absolutely dominate this division the way Buechelle did for SMUTU.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 4
  • Eye Roll 2

4 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Ruder could have played a lot of places, he didnt come to UNT to backup Aune, I promise you that. 

I bet Amani Gilmore didn't come to NT to back up Aune either... but here we are.

I appreciate your zeal for Mr. Ruder.   And you could very well be right, but excuse me for being a little skeptical of our newest poster declaring Ruder the starter over Aune.

• Upvote 7

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I bet Amani Gilmore didn't come to NT to back up Aune either... but here we are.

I appreciate your zeal for Mr. Ruder.   And you could very well be right, but excuse me for being a little skeptical of our newest poster declaring Ruder the starter over Aune.

Did Gilmore lose his job to a Heisman Trophy candidate the way Ruder did the last two seasons at NC? Its not like Ruder played bad when he was given game time. He lead NC on scoring drives.  If Gilmore lost his job to someone like Sam Howell then we can talk. Ruder is not Gilmore, he is a P5 talent who sees a shot to succeed in Denton.  Not starting him would be beyond stupid. Aune is ok, but nothing great. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Some might say not starting the returning starter who finished 3rd in the conference despite only playing in 8 games (really only 5) over a dude who hasn't played meaningful football since his glory TD drive of 2018 would be "beyond stupid".

Again, you might be right.   We'll just have to see.   Around here, we pull for the Mean Green, not one guy.   So again, forgive me for my skepticism...    Hoping to hear from you more about other Mean Green happenings.

You are talking about Conference USA here! Where everyone has crap QB play. I am glad you love that our Qb is one of the least craptastic guys in the conference, but he is also 30 years old. He was never the answer. Aune was a fill in because Bean was a failure. Nothing more and nothing less.  If you thought Aune was good last year, JC imagine what Ruder could do in Conference USA!  He could set passing records! Conference USA are a bunch of chumps compared to what he has seen in live action. Again, he lost his Job to Sam Howell! You know the Sam Howell who is going to be the first pick in the draft next year? You act as if Ruder lost his job to some trash player in some trash conference. Choosing to start Aune over Ruder, would be like choosing to start Aune over Buechelle. Ruder out of HS was the 15th ranked dual threat QB in the nation. The dude will ball here. We should be thanking God that Ruder chose us over someone else.

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, DeepGreen said:

What about the QB transfer from Kentucky?  Any comments on how he is doing in training camp?

Hes a QB from Kentucky that lost his job to a nobody, and looks like he isnt making any impact here either. Gilmore is who I think you are talking about.

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Eye Roll 2

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Some might say not starting the returning starter who finished 3rd in the conference despite only playing in 8 games (really only 5) over a dude who hasn't played meaningful football since his glory TD drive of 2018 would be "beyond stupid".

Again, you might be right.   We'll just have to see.   Around here, we pull for the Mean Green, not one guy.   So again, forgive me for my skepticism...    Hoping to hear from you more about other Mean Green happenings.

Just so you are aware the kind of company and people Ruder was attracting when coming out of HS.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You're really showing how new you are around here my friend.

We've heard all of this crap before with transfers coming in here.

The argument that a guy was pretty good but just couldn't start for <XYZ reason>, but will transfer here and just ball out and be a Mean Green Hall Of Famer by the time he's done because he's playing "at a lower level" has sadly flamed-out about 99% of the time.   Believe me, we get excited about it every time.   

In my time following the Mean Green, the only one who really came in and produced at an All-conference level was a guy named Marcus Trice from Oklahoma in 2012-2013.   He just might become a NT HoF'er.  I hope so, not a shoo-in though.  We'll see.

Brock Berglund laughs at Ruder being the #15-ranked Dual-threat QB out of H.S... my man, we've seen that argument too.

And you really need to drop the Buechele argument here.    Buechele started 19 games at UT, throwing for over 4500yds & 30TDs prior to transferring to SMU.   Ruder's accomplishment (just 1) is not comparable.

LOL Ruder was 4 for 5 for 80 yards and a TD in his only action at North Carolina which came against Georgia Tech. Its not his fault Sam Howell came to NC, and who gives a rats behind what Berglund thinks or believes, its straight from 247 sports, he was the 15th ranked dual threat Qb out of HS, and was at scouting events with Justin Fields all the dang time. I get it that you like and enjoy average qb play from a former baseball player in a bad division, but you clearly don't get it. Aune was only played because Bean was so bad. If Ruder wasnt starting it would probably be Drummond fighting for the starting spot with Aune. Aune is an after thought. If he starts over Ruder its more of a failure on Litrell than anything else. I equate this to starting Torrey over Ataway.  I get that Torrey is the veteran player, but he clearly isnt better than Ataway and he clearly wasnt better than Siggers, and thats why he transferred.  This is very much a Buechele argument. How do you know Ruder wouldnt have thrown 30 or more TDS if Howell didnt show up? To think Ruder wouldnt dominate conference USA is utterly preposterous. Ruder will bring RPO in a way that the mean green has never had it. He can literally run and pass. He isnt like Bean Or Aune. Where Bean can run, but cant throw, and Aune who can pass but not run. Ruder can do it all. And Buechelle losing his job to Ehlinger is heck of a lot worst than Ruder losing to Howell. 

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

LOL Ruder was 4 for 5 for 80 yards and a TD in his only action at North Carolina which came against Georgia Tech. Its not his fault Sam Howell came to NC, and who gives a rats behind what Berglund thinks or believes, its straight from 247 sports, he was the 15th ranked dual threat Qb out of HS, and was at scouting events with Justin Fields all the dang time. I get it that you like and enjoy average qb play from a former baseball player in a bad division, but you clearly don't get it. Aune was only played because Bean was so bad. If Ruder wasnt starting it would probably be Drummond fighting for the starting spot with Aune. Aune is an after thought. If he starts over Ruder its more of a failure on Litrell than anything else. I equate this to starting Torrey over Ataway.  I get that Torrey is the veteran player, but he clearly isnt better than Ataway and he clearly wasnt better than Siggers, and thats why he transferred.  This is very much a Buechele argument. How do you know Ruder wouldnt have thrown 30 or more TDS if Howell didnt show up? To think Ruder wouldnt dominate conference USA is utterly preposterous. Ruder will bring RPO in a way that the mean green has never had it. He can literally run and pass. He isnt like Bean Or Aune. Where Bean can run, but cant throw, and Aune who can pass but not run. Ruder can do it all. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2011-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=DUAL

Slow down friend!    The above link is what I'm trying to tell you.   See #11.       We're often enamored with stars coming out of high school.   I'm here to tell you that 99% of the time, they don't mean jack when talking about a transfer.   That's just a fact.

As for how I feel about Aune... I was a pretty harsh critic of Aune's last season.  I didn't really like what I saw.   But, he was 8 years out of meaningful football.   Maybe he knocked the rust off & is ready to go now?   Who knows.   We need to hope so, whether he starts or Ruder starts.

Regarding Buechele, you almost made my point for me:
Ruder had a beautiful TD drive in 2018.  Great!
There's a HUGE DIFFERENCE between "How do you know <XYZ transfer> wouldn't have..."  VS  "Shane Buechele threw for 4636yds & 30TDs at UT".  
One player "could have".   The other one DID. 

"To think Ruder wouldnt dominate conference USA is utterly preposterous."     ...We'll see.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, GOMeanGO said:

I think Ruder starts over Aune for the following reasons.

1) He was a highly sought after transfer

2) He lost his job to the Heisman Award Candidate in Sam Howell, no shame in losing to that guy. 

3) When he did play in games at NC he did exceptionally well. 

4) Aune was never the answer, and was a filler till we found a guy to replace Mason

5) Ruder gives us the best chance to win games and put points on the board.  He should absolutely dominate this division the way Buechelle did for SMUTU.

I hope you're right. I'm not that optimistic though.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2011-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=DUAL

Slow down friend!    The above link is what I'm trying to tell you.   See #11.       We're often enamored with stars coming out of high school.   I'm here to tell you that 99% of the time, they don't mean jack when talking about a transfer.   That's just a fact.

As for how I feel about Aune... I was a pretty harsh critic of Aune's last season.  I didn't really like what I saw.   But, he was 8 years out of meaningful football.   Maybe he knocked the rust off & is ready to go now?   Who knows.   We need to hope so, whether he starts or Ruder starts.

Regarding Buechele, you almost made my point for me:
Ruder had a beautiful TD drive in 2018.  Great!
There's a HUGE DIFFERENCE between "How do you know <XYZ transfer> wouldn't have..."  VS  "Shane Buechele threw for 4636yds & 30TDs at UT".  
One player "could have".   The other one DID. 

"To think Ruder wouldnt dominate conference USA is utterly preposterous."     ...We'll see.

I think its more embarrassing to lose your job to Ehlinger than to lose it to Sam Howell. If a 30 year old QB is our guy of the present and future then I really should stop watching UNT football. At that point its just downright embarrassing that the best we can do is a 33 year old guy. Heck if Aune keeps it up he may join the work force at 40. We will never know because one dude lost his job to a Heisman Trophy Winner that will go number one overall, while the other lost his job to a bum sixth round pick and transferred to SMU. Ruder deserves to start the first game, we already know what grandpa can do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, GOMeanGO said:

I think its more embarrassing to lose your job to Ehlinger than to lose it to Sam Howell. If a 30 year old QB is our guy of the present and future then I really should stop watching UNT football. At that point its just downright embarrassing that the best we can do is a 33 year old guy. Heck if Aune keeps it up he may join the work force at 40. We will never know because one dude lost his job to a Heisman Trophy Winner that will go number one overall, while the other lost his job to a bum sixth round pick and transferred to SMU. Ruder deserves to start the first game, we already know what grandpa can do. 

You missed your calling. Sports talk radio speak was big in the 90s. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Eye Roll 2

5 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Where 24/7 ranked Ruder doesn't matter anymore, and Sam Howell has nothing to do with this conversation.  If Ruder wants to start, he'll need to beat out Austin Aune in camp.  That's it.

The only reason he is here is because he couldnt beat out Sam Howell, so its just as much a conversation as Buechelle not beating out Ehlinger and thats why he went to SMU.  Apparently he is already ahead of Aune if hes taking first team reps right now.  If a 30 year old QB is the best we can do, then we have bigger problems then what is seen on paper. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I get what you’re saying and the truth is Aune transferred to Arkansas first before coming to UNT.  I always was wondering why did Chad Morris let him leave after spring ball unless he couldn’t cut the mustard for them uo there and whatnot.

7 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

The only reason he is here is because he couldnt beat out Sam Howell, so its just as much a conversation as Buechelle not beating out Ehlinger and thats why he went to SMU.  Apparently he is already ahead of Aune if hes taking first team reps right now.  If a 30 year old QB is the best we can do, then we have bigger problems then what is seen on paper. 

Just now, Wag Tag said:

Ruder will be a dual threat star! When is the last time we had one? 

He is the first real Dual Threat QB we have had in a Litrell Regime. I dont understand why so many people carry water for Aune. He was incredibly average and only scored when it didnt matter and we were getting blown out.. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Jonnyeagle said:

I get what you’re saying and the truth is Aune transferred to Arkansas first before coming to UNT.  I always was wondering why did Chad Morris let him leave after spring ball unless he couldn’t cut the mustard for them uo there and whatnot.

Arkansas is not a football powerhouse, nor did Aune face competition like Ruder did for a job.  I thank Aune for what he did last year, but he is no longer needed. 

• Lovely Take 2