Why can’t we have a former player on the broadcast team?

Tom McKrackin

1 minute ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That run will continue it seems. Dave is a terrific Play by Play, he really sounds like the standard radio voice but with some energy (like the Hamlet buzzer beater against La Tech) Standard in a good way of course

He’s perfect for UNT right now, like how Dunham was in the 2000s and early 2010s

I should’ve said Dave isn’t my cup of tea. He’s not horrible by any stretch but I’d prefer we went in a different direction. Dunham brought more character to the game than just calling it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I think Hank is ok but why the heck can’t we have a former player or coach or even just a UNT alum be a part of this broadcast team or at least on the sidelines?  We have so many colorful personalities and talented ex lettermen and alumni.  Maybe it’s time for a change?

I'm pretty sure we had a former offensive lineman on the sideline for a while whose name escapes me. I'll have to research it. Please hold. (Cue chuck mangione music 🎶)

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, meanrob said:

Might as well continue my run of unpopular opinions- 

Dave needs to go. International Chirp-Chirp isn’t coming back but we need another 90s Dunham-type. 

What is “International Chirp-Chirp”?

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, meanrob said:

Might as well continue my run of unpopular opinions- 

Dave needs to go. International Chirp-Chirp isn’t coming back but we need another 90s Dunham-type. 

IMO Barnett is leaps and bounds better than Dunham. Not even same universe. Dunham was an ok fit for when he was here. 

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

My experience. Play-by-play doesn't matter what sort of ties they have, it's a difficult skill to describe action accurately and vividly on the fly.

Color, former players are the flavor of the day but my favorite was a former player but that wasn't what made him good. He was a retired high school head coach with a few state championship rings and lived close enough by that he'd hang out with coaching staff at least once a week, usually a couple times, watching practice and film. Had a terrible radio voice but he could break a game down better than anyone. He'd explain that a big run was a play designed to get three yards but the middle linebacker tried to cheat on the snap and had stepped left rather than forward giving the RB just enough of a break to get into the secondary. He'd get grumpy about the QB forcing a hard throw rather than going down his progression to an open guy underneath. Miss him still

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

IMO Barnett is leaps and bounds better than Dunham. Not even same universe. Dunham was an ok fit for when he was here. 

I think what you’re discounting is that Dunham connected with fans/alumni in a way Barnett never will. That made him better/ more enjoyable to me. 

IMO, Ted Emrich would have been a much better replacement. Technically he’s just as good as Barnett, but he’s way funnier and more personable. Just listen to any segment that he’s on with The Ticket. 

I get why we went with Barnett at the time (bigger name), but Emrich would be such a better fit. Fingers crossed he still gets a chance one day. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

6 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think what you’re discounting is that Dunham connected with fans/alumni in a way Barnett never will. That made him better/ more enjoyable to me. 

IMO, Ted Emrich would have been a much better replacement. Technically he’s just as good as Barnett, but he’s way funnier and more personable. Just listen to any segment that he’s on with The Ticket. 

I get why we went with Barnett at the time (bigger name), but Emrich would be such a better fit. Fingers crossed he still gets a chance one day. 

It’s quite possible I’m in the minority on this (never really discussed it at length with anyone) but I don’t see any issues with Barnett connecting with fans. I wonder how many people know he’s one of us. 

• Upvote 5