2021 Predictions

untjim1995

This is about the time of the year I'm convinced that we are better than we probably are.  It's some sort of seasonal sickness I'm afflicted with.  However, this year....this year is different.  We really are better than predicted, I'm sure if it.  I'm doing it again, aren't I?  Anyway, in terms of final season record, I think it will come down to staying healthy (and if our opponents are healthy when we meet).  Our depth and experience gives me some hope that we are in a better position this year than we have been in the recent past to withstand the injury bug if it bites us. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, keith said:

This is about the time of the year I'm convinced that we are better than we probably are.  It's some sort of seasonal sickness I'm afflicted with.  However, this year....this year is different.  We really are better than predicted, I'm sure if it.  I'm doing it again, aren't I?  Anyway, in terms of final season record, I think it will come down to staying healthy (and if our opponents are healthy when we meet).  Our depth and experience gives me some hope that we are in a better position this year than we have been in the recent past to withstand the injury bug if it bites us. 

Haha exactly.  I just don't pay a lot of attention around here until game 2.  That will be the first real test.  Anything prior to that is just hubub to sell more season tickets.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Haha exactly.  I just don't pay a lot of attention around here until game 2.  That will be the first real test.  Anything prior to that is just hubub to sell more season tickets.

Over the last two years, after week 2's game against the Phonies has been an unbelievable mixture of embarrassment and anger being posted many times for weeks afterwards. 

It does provide some comedy, if you can get over the fact that our entire program freaks the hell out at the sight of a stupid mustang on a helmet...I mean the entire program loses their minds.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2021 at 9:34 PM, WanderingEagle said:

Maybe for NWSU but not afterwards.

On 8/13/2021 at 5:55 PM, WanderingEagle said:

I see 9-3 or 3-9 and no inbetween. I know it's a point that has been beaten to death but I really believe if our defense makes marginal improvement, even to the point of just being bad instead of being awful, we can win a handful of close games. Losing Darden is huge but it's a position we're deep at.

NW State - UNT wins along the 55-21 lines and we get a clear picture of who the QB is from here on out.

@ SMU - I would like to think our players are pissed off after last year's embarrassment - at least in my young fan's memory the worst UNT game i've ever watched, but i've only been a student/fan since 2017. Blessed. Anyway I hate them so much and would rather go 1-11 if it meant beating them but give me a 50-30ish loss along the lines of the 2017 game.

UAB - We absolutely have to win this game or @ LA tech and i don't think we win that one. Marshall is good and Liberty may be the best team we face all year. A 1-7 start derails the entire program so they have absolutely got to win one of these. I think UAB is the most realistic at home. Give me a 28-24 UNT win.

@ La Tech - Tough loss that falls apart in the fourth quarter but not a blowout. 41-28 loss. 

@ Mizzou - Loss and not close. We don't stand a chance unless we're 4-0. 

Marshall - Give me a 40-31 UNT win. Once again a must win after what's very likely a 1-4 or 2-3 start. 

Liberty - Likely a big loss but it's at home? I don't know. Obviously they're way better now but Liberty wasn't awful in 2018 and we handled them - again obviously with a much better roster, the sides have flipped, but something tells me we don't get blown out again. I'll say something like a 38-24 loss. 

@ Rice - Need a road win. 30-20 UNT.

@ USM - Will Hall is an exciting prospect but I don't see him making the turnaround year one. If the defense has improved enough by this game we take it in an exciting road win. 45-37 UNT. 

UTEP - We better not even think about it. 52-21 UNT win.

@ FIU - On paper this should be a win. If we're healthy and FIU continues on their downward spiral the last few years this is a winnable game. I don't know that UNT is capable of four consecutive wins this year but to hell with it. Mean Green win 34-13.

UTSA - I think we lose this game but I also think it's one that we can win. If McCormick doesn't push for 300 rushing yards against us last year it's not a blowout loss, or at least it's not as bad. Entirely depends on the defense but i'll chalk it up as a 48-28 loss. 

Or Jace Ruder kickstarts a heisman campaign and we go 11-1. A good defense gets us 8 wins in this schedule. An okay defense gets us 6 and a bad to awful defense gets us 4-5 at best. Defense defense defense. Man I am ready for football. 

I truly believe Ruder and Adaway are going to go off this year.  I believe in my heart of hearts that Ruder will do for us what Buechelle did for SMU. The only thing we need to hope for is that he doesnt do so well a P5 will lure him to transfer. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1

On 8/14/2021 at 11:15 AM, akriesman said:

I think this years team will definitely be an improvement over last year.   Darden is a huge loss.  But, there is so much quality depth at WR.    I expect Aune to be better.  If not, Ruder is waiting in the wings.    The D will make more 3rd down stops (Bennett's priority).

It's just a shame the schedule starts out so tough.   But, I feel this team pulls off a big upset somewhere against either SMU, UAB, Missouri or Liberty and finishes 5-7, setting the team up for a run in 2022.    Seth stays as does Bennett.

Aune was never the answer at QB, I know we like him for what he was, but he is nothing but a temporary replacement till we found Masons successor. Ruder is a P5 talent that we landed, he didnt come here to be Aune's backup. Its obvious he is getting the first team reps for a reason. If Aune is the starting Qb going into this season then we are boned. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

32 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

I truly believe Ruder and Adaway are going to go off this year.  I believe in my heart of hearts that Ruder will do for us what Buechelle did for SMU. The only thing we need to hope for is that he doesnt do so well a P5 will lure him to transfer. 

Or hope SMUt doesn't tamper with him after he hangs 600 yards and 6 TDs on their ass on Sep 11.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WanderingEagle said:

Or hope SMUt doesn't tamper with him after he hangs 600 yards and 6 TDs on their ass on Sep 11.

I'm more worried about a team like Texas or Texas Tech luring him away with money. Anyone who believes Aune is better than Ruder truly need to take their meds. Ruder was the 15th ranked dual threat qb coming out of HS.  Much like Texas Tech under Kingsbury, Litrells offense is good enough to get QBS and Receivers real looks in the NFL.  Darden, Bussey, Guyton, Jeff Wilson Jr, Mason in the CFL.  All Ruder has to do is dominate in CUSA and he gets drafted no later than the 4th round like Morgan did a couple years back.  Ruder coming to UNT is a win win for us!

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

I'm more worried about a team like Texas or Texas Tech luring him away with money. Anyone who believes Aune is better than Ruder truly need to take their meds. Ruder was the 15th ranked dual threat qb coming out of HS.  Much like Texas Tech under Kingsbury, Litrells offense is good enough to get QBS and Receivers real looks in the NFL.  Darden, Bussey, Guyton, Jeff Wilson Jr, Mason in the CFL.  All Ruder has to do is dominate in CUSA and he gets drafted no later than the 4th round like Morgan did a couple years back.  Ruder coming to UNT is a win win for us!

Good point. We do have to worry about all of this young talent being developed and then picked off by schools via the portal (I personally have my eyes on Oklahoma & Oklahoma State with Jake Roberts and Arkansas with Adaway in a year or two 😐). We have the talent here (and more on the way), and the offensive system to be highly attractive for kids wanting a chance in the NFL. SMU is turning out NFL talent regularly with their highly similar offensive system (and recruiting level), and we will be in a similar situation with Littrell's leadership. Agreed that landing Ruder is a plus for UNT, and it is exciting to see him coming in and providing tremendous competition at the QB position. Scrimmage #2 on Saturday will be very interesting to watch...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, UNT Mean Green said:

Good point. We do have to worry about all of this young talent being developed and then picked off by schools via the portal (I personally have my eyes on Oklahoma & Oklahoma State with Jake Roberts and Arkansas with Adaway in a year or two 😐). We have the talent here (and more on the way), and the offensive system to be highly attractive for kids wanting a chance in the NFL. SMU is turning out NFL talent regularly with their highly similar offensive system (and recruiting level), and we will be in a similar situation with Littrell's leadership. Agreed that landing Ruder is a plus for UNT, and it is exciting to see him coming in and providing tremendous competition at the QB position. Scrimmage #2 on Saturday will be very interesting to watch...

If littrell fails to play Roberts or Adaway the way he should be doing then he doesnt have to worry about them staying anyhow.  I see Ruder as a guy who wants to stay and play in a system that could get him NFL looks. UNT is a friendly offense that can get him to point A to point B. He could be that next Trey Lance so to speak. I have high expectations for this team, too much talent to not win the division this year!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

If littrell fails to play Roberts or Adaway the way he should be doing then he doesnt have to worry about them staying anyhow.  I see Ruder as a guy who wants to stay and play in a system that could get him NFL looks. UNT is a friendly offense that can get him to point A to point B. He could be that next Trey Lance so to speak. I have high expectations for this team, too much talent to not win the division this year!

It's hard to see 27 and 87 not being on the field a lot. These are two NFL caliber players that we have recruited, and have now developed (thanks to a full offseason) who are ready to be unleashed. We are lucky to have 10 here, especially in this offense as you say. It'll be fun to watch how it shakes out and how these skilled youngsters are used this season! 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, UNT Mean Green said:

It's hard to see 27 and 87 not being on the field a lot. These are two NFL caliber players that we have recruited, and have now developed (thanks to a full offseason) who are ready to be unleashed. We are lucky to have 10 here, especially in this offense as you say. It'll be fun to watch how it shakes out and how these skilled youngsters are used this season! 

I really am excited this year! Almost as excited as when Mason was entering his Sophomore season! There is a lot to be excited about. I hope Adaway goes for a thousand this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 8/17/2021 at 10:35 AM, keith said:

Same...

Surprisingly, Coach Mumbles got me all pumped up last Saturday... somehow.  He almost was annunciating, seemed like there might be something to get hyped about.   

Excited to get back in Apogee and to follow the boys on the road again as much as possible.

• Eye Roll 2

45 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Same...

Surprisingly, Coach Mumbles got me all pumped up last Saturday... somehow.  He almost was annunciating, seemed like there might be something to get hyped about.   

Excited to get back in Apogee and to follow the boys on the road again as much as possible.

This is not a universal view of SL's appearance.  Evidence A:

On 8/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, drex said:

My wife said he appeared very nervous at the kick off event...I guess I would be, too, if there was a possible disaster around the corner.

• Eye Roll 1

On 8/17/2021 at 3:26 PM, GOMeanGO said:

And isn’t SMU still a G5 program who th

On 8/17/2021 at 3:20 PM, WanderingEagle said:

Does the present NCAA rules committee  even have a tampering law (or rule)?   

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I am feeling confident we win 6 games. Phil is legit

I hope you are correct. I know at the end of the day we have to win, but there are a couple of thigs Seth is doing that have not been done here for years -

Build relationships with HS coaches
Get quality recruits

• Upvote 2

On 8/13/2021 at 11:31 AM, Wag Tag said:

6-6 with Ruder being a dual threat star! Dramatic improvement in the D!

Ruder and Adaway together could be a game changer. I dont think this team is all that bad as people are saying. Discipline from start to finish is whats beaten us more than lack of talent. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

Ruder and Adaway together could be a game changer. I dont think this team is all that bad as people are saying. Discipline from start to finish is whats beaten us more than lack of talent. 

I don't think whatever combination we have on Offense will be the issue. If our Defense does not improve it will not matter

Edited by El Paso Eagle

9 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

Sounds like coaching. 

• Upvote 1