2021 Predictions

untjim1995

18 minutes ago, Greenrex said:

Four wins. Seth is a gawd awful game coach.

It’s a little disappointing his in game decisions don’t get discussed more on here. He’s had a few bone-headed two point/field goal decisions. Hard to tell the last two years, we weren’t in many close games. Off the top of my head he’s lost more games he should’ve won than vice versa. Plus, no one ever explains how we come out so flat so often. 

Lot of that goes away if he wins 8 with this schedule. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

Just to let you know, you’re 7-5 prediction by reading your game predictions is kinda between 9-3 and 3-9.

I was just predicting what I think the realistic outcome of each game is.

9-3/3-9 is just where i feel like the team will end up in reality. They’re more than likely to end up massively over or under achieving than they are to meddle at 6-6 or 7-5. Methinks anyway

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, WanderingEagle said:

I see 9-3 or 3-9 and no inbetween. I know it's a point that has been beaten to death but I really believe if our defense makes marginal improvement, even to the point of just being bad instead of being awful, we can win a handful of close games. Losing Darden is huge but it's a position we're deep at.

NW State - UNT wins along the 55-21 lines and we get a clear picture of who the QB is from here on out.

@ SMU - I would like to think our players are pissed off after last year's embarrassment - at least in my young fan's memory the worst UNT game i've ever watched, but i've only been a student/fan since 2017. Blessed. Anyway I hate them so much and would rather go 1-11 if it meant beating them but give me a 50-30ish loss along the lines of the 2017 game.

UAB - We absolutely have to win this game or @ LA tech and i don't think we win that one. Marshall is good and Liberty may be the best team we face all year. A 1-7 start derails the entire program so they have absolutely got to win one of these. I think UAB is the most realistic at home. Give me a 28-24 UNT win.

@ La Tech - Tough loss that falls apart in the fourth quarter but not a blowout. 41-28 loss. 

@ Mizzou - Loss and not close. We don't stand a chance unless we're 4-0. 

Marshall - Give me a 40-31 UNT win. Once again a must win after what's very likely a 1-4 or 2-3 start. 

Liberty - Likely a big loss but it's at home? I don't know. Obviously they're way better now but Liberty wasn't awful in 2018 and we handled them - again obviously with a much better roster, the sides have flipped, but something tells me we don't get blown out again. I'll say something like a 38-24 loss. 

@ Rice - Need a road win. 30-20 UNT.

@ USM - Will Hall is an exciting prospect but I don't see him making the turnaround year one. If the defense has improved enough by this game we take it in an exciting road win. 45-37 UNT. 

UTEP - We better not even think about it. 52-21 UNT win.

@ FIU - On paper this should be a win. If we're healthy and FIU continues on their downward spiral the last few years this is a winnable game. I don't know that UNT is capable of four consecutive wins this year but to hell with it. Mean Green win 34-13.

UTSA - I think we lose this game but I also think it's one that we can win. If McCormick doesn't push for 300 rushing yards against us last year it's not a blowout loss, or at least it's not as bad. Entirely depends on the defense but i'll chalk it up as a 48-28 loss. 

Or Jace Ruder kickstarts a heisman campaign and we go 11-1. A good defense gets us 8 wins in this schedule. An okay defense gets us 6 and a bad to awful defense gets us 4-5 at best. Defense defense defense. Man I am ready for football. 

I only see 4 wins. NW State, Rice[ maybe,]UTEP, and FIU although we don't have a great road game history. We may win a game that is considered an upset, but probably give one up that we were predicted to win. I just can't see keeping a 6th year  coach with  his third 4 win season in a row.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

I only see 4 wins. NW State, Rice[ maybe,]UTEP, and FIU although we don't have a great road game history. We may win a game that is considered an upset, but probably give one up that we were predicted to win. I just can't see keeping a 6th year  coach with  his third 4 win season in a row.

I’m totally guessing here, but I feel like 4 wins gets him Another year just because of the buyout. Maybe that threshold is 5 wins? But I feel like anything below 4 wins is where the university has to do something or risk telling everyone that this is all about wanting to avoid a big payoff. OTOH, If he wins 7+ games, I think he gets an extension of a couple years. If he somehow won 9+ games and something of consequence, he’s gonna be back on the lists of many ADs at places above us on the CFB totem pole.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think this years team will definitely be an improvement over last year.   Darden is a huge loss.  But, there is so much quality depth at WR.    I expect Aune to be better.  If not, Ruder is waiting in the wings.    The D will make more 3rd down stops (Bennett's priority).

It's just a shame the schedule starts out so tough.   But, I feel this team pulls off a big upset somewhere against either SMU, UAB, Missouri or Liberty and finishes 5-7, setting the team up for a run in 2022.    Seth stays as does Bennett.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 7

On 8/13/2021 at 10:22 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:
On 8/13/2021 at 10:15 AM, Tom McKrackin said:

I disagree here.    Littrell lives to see the entire season, unless he outright loses the team, a-la McCarney with the Portland St. debacle (which I doubt).

I get your point but damn man this dude is heading into his 6th season here.  Are you suggesting they would keep him through year 7 with an overall losing record?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

I will not have to prove Seth is a good coach because Seth will do that him self!

Would it surprise some to know many of those on GMG who vehemently said Mason Fine would never start as UNT QB are probably many of the same ones who continue stirring it up about Seth Littrell?  What gives?

So will it be a new thread on the same old “Fire the HFC” subject about every other week now? Is it mostly the same ones who say the same old trite things about Littrell who will still offer nothing new on this subject?  (Hey! We read yalls opinions on SL the first time y’all brought it up about a half year ago). We get it. We get that Seth will probably not be on most of your Christmas shopping lists this December.   

Besides yet another thread on creating a HFC’s vacancy at North Texas—one might wonder what the real agenda is with all this?  Maybe someone else seeking the UNT HFC’s  job has put a hardy handful on GMG up to doing these threads non-stop & to the point of ad nauseum? 

I have no dog in any of this kind of fight.  I’ve never met SL.  Seth Littrell according to the below link is 31 W’s—31L’s preceding this 2021 football campaign.  We’ve had head football coaches leave UNT over 20 career losses under .500 who get more respect from some of the OldDenton/OldUNT group think tank.  With that, I wonder what kind of reputation this will ultimately give our favorite school—or do we already have it? 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/seth-littrell-1.html

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 3

4 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I get your point but damn man this dude is heading into his 6th season here.  Are you suggesting they would keep him through year 7 with an overall losing record?

Not necessarily.   But I don’t think he’ll be fired midway through this season, unless he loses the team.   Now after the year, if NT is 4-8 (or worse) again, I would hope Wren has the means lined up to make the right move.

Circumstances would have to be right for 5-7 to give him a pass.

I think 6-6 or better gets him year 7 for sure.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Would it surprise some to know many of those on GMG who vehemently said Mason Fine would never start as UNT QB are probably many of the same ones who continue stirring it up about Seth Littrell?  What gives?

So will it be a new thread on the same old “Fire the HFC” subject about every other week now? Is it mostly the same ones who say the same old trite things about Littrell who will still offer nothing new on this subject?  (Hey! We read yalls opinions on SL the first time y’all brought it up about a half year ago). We get it. We get that Seth will probably not be on most of your Christmas shopping lists this December.   

Besides yet another thread on creating a HFC’s vacancy at North Texas—one might wonder what the real agenda is with all this?  Maybe someone else seeking the UNT HFC’s  job has put a hardy handful on GMG up to doing these threads non-stop & to the point of ad nauseum? 

I have no dog in any of this kind of fight.  I’ve never met SL.  Seth Littrell according to the below link is 31 W’s—31L’s preceding this 2021 football campaign.  We’ve had head football coaches leave UNT over 20 career losses under .500 who get more respect from some of the OldDenton/OldUNT group think tank.  With that, I wonder what kind of reputation this will ultimately give our favorite school—or do we already have it? 

🦅❇️🦅

I don't know many people who came out and said MF would NEVER start a game. Actually, I don't recall any here on GMG or around Denton. 

But the logic behind backing SL through hell or high water has no legs to stand on. It stinks of a Tony Benford scenario. It's old thinking. The man has more losing seasons than he does winning. No significant wins of merit (unless we want to count beating a what I believe was a 2-10 or 1-11 Arkansas Razorback team which also dropped games vs Co St and WKU in the same season). 0 bowl wins. 0 conference championships. Overall losing records. Most of his teams come out flat and do not seem inspired and sometimes uninterested. And a couple handful of really, really embarrassing losses to boot. That's more than the burden of proof.

Now, please, someone explain to me how he's a good coach and has been for us? 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

🦅❇️🦅

My diplomas say University of North Texas. Not University of Seth Littrell. I was around UNT before he got here and I’ll be here long after he’s gone. He gets paid an awful lot of money to get “our favorite school” championships and big wins and success. Success as defined by today’s standards.  Not success when compared to our past. He doesn’t get paid .500 money. He gets paid championships money. I mean, he seems like a swell guy but my judgement of him is purely objective. And any “love” I have for him is conditional. 

Win. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

My diplomas say University of North Texas. Not University of Seth Littrell. I was around UNT before he got here and I’ll be here long after he’s gone. He gets paid an awful lot of money to get “our favorite school” championships and big wins and success. Success as defined by today’s standards.  Not success when compared to our past. He doesn’t get paid .500 money. He gets paid championships money. I mean, he seems like a swell guy but my judgement of him is purely objective. And any “love” I have for him is conditional. 

Win. 

SL himself would tell you that he agrees completely with this…

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Win. 

With all the collective experts on GMG who (without a doubt) know who to hire & when to fire it really surprises me that in my last almost half century of following this that we were absolutely not one steamrolling NCAA football juggernaut & one that “our favorite school” has the Big Boys literally standing in line wanting to interview us for a future P5 conference membership.   •••I have to ask the question:  Were some of you on the UNT HFC selection committee that hired “____________________” (just fill in the blank with any ex UNT HFC  who left Denton under .500).  

Honestly, can we just let the freakin’ 2021 MG football season play itself out at which time we’ll have a better idea about SL’s future?  Why the rush now?  We never were before.  Until then, maybe rather discuss on GMG various shades of green we should consider in the future  or.....jointed (or disjointed) “NT” letter logos (or maybe we wore those topics out, too, in past years)?  

Most on this GMG forum attended UNT, a very diverse (in every way), creative, helluva’ bohemian, eclectic environment of a Texas public university so with that I know we are all capable of being creative in introducing new subject material on GMG every now & then?  I’ll try to myself, but at my age I may tend to keep being redundant all over again & again & again & again.  It just comes with this new geriatric territory of which (admittedly) it’s taking me a little time of getting used to?  I’m not even sure why many of my sentences end with question marks?  To quote “38 years old” Britney Spears on that: “Whoops! I did it again, baby?” (Or was it Austin Powers)?🤢

🦅

PS:  And oh thank heavens for 7-11 & a Wren Baker’esque kind of thinking  & his “gettin’ it done” M.O. which gives all from ages 9 to 99—a much, much brighter Mean Green  future. ❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Haha 2

On 8/14/2021 at 5:27 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't know many people who came out and said MF would NEVER start a game. Actually, I don't recall any here on GMG or around Denton.

Well I don’t live in Denton, but I do recall. Ask Harry about my memory bank if you need to, but I didn’t dream it about Mason‘s few detractors. It stood out & I resent that you seem to be suggesting that I actually made this up?  What do I have to gain by doing that & furthermore, who the hell taught you manners? 

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2021 at 9:45 AM, RBP79 said:

The way some of these predictions are you'd think we're in a P5 conference and not in the " worst division...worst conference in FBS football". Seth needs to be at minimum a 6 game winner this season...

So pick the 6 games we are gonna win against this schedule? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2