2021 Predictions

untjim1995

I think Aune will start the first game, but Ruder will play a lot, then he will be named starter after the SMU game.

NW State—big win (talent differential is huge here)

@ SMU—big loss (talent differential is huge here and entire program freaks out when they see the Mustang on the helmet in Dallas)

UAB—loss—(just was to physical for us and they have the best coach in the conference)

@ La Tech—loss (road woes continue, they have more talent on the lines and that gives them the W)

@ Mizzou—big loss (just make sure the check clears and nobody gets hurt)

Marshall—win (they’re good, but we pull off the surprise at home)

Liberty—big loss (they might be the best team On the schedule and we don’t stop them)

@ Rice—win (we figure out a way to beat the mathletes in front of hundreds of fans in Houston)

@ USM—loss (see LT, but we keep it closer)

UTEP—big win (they are god awful and we pound them)

@ FIU— loss (we never play good when we travel East, especially in South Florida)

UTSA—big loss (their Super Bowl and they know it’s a huge recruiting advantage they get by winning and they have way more talent and what appears to be a big advantage at head coach)

We finish 4-8, just enough for SL to keep his job for another season, with everyone saying Phil Bennett’s defense will improve even more as he gets another offseason to prepare them. 2022’s schedule doesn’t look easy, but it is easier than 2021, as we play FCS spare and SMU at home, while traveling to Memphis and UNLV. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

28 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I think Aune will start the first game, but Ruder will play a lot, then he will be named starter after the SMU game.

NW State—big win (talent differential is huge here)

@ SMU—big loss (talent differential is huge here and entire program freaks out when they see the Mustang on the helmet in Dallas)

UAB—loss—(just was to physical for us and they have the best coach in the conference)

@ La Tech—loss (road woes continue, they have more talent on the lines and that gives them the W)

@ Mizzou—big loss (just make sure the check clears and nobody gets hurt)

Marshall—win (they’re good, but we pull off the surprise at home)

Liberty—big loss (they might be the best team On the schedule and we don’t stop them)

@ Rice—win (we figure out a way to beat the mathletes in front of hundreds of fans in Houston)

@ USM—loss (see LT, but we keep it closer)

UTEP—big win (they are god awful and we pound them)

@ FIU— loss (we never play good when we travel East, especially in South Florida)

UTSA—big loss (their Super Bowl and they know it’s a huge recruiting advantage they get by winning and they have way more talent and what appears to be a big advantage at head coach)

We finish 4-8, just enough for SL to keep his job for another season, with everyone saying Phil Bennett’s defense will improve even more as he gets another offseason to prepare them. 2022’s schedule doesn’t look easy, but it is easier than 2021, as we play FCS spare and SMU at home, while traveling to Memphis and UNLV. 

I’m not trying to sounds drunk off the green stuff, but I just can’t see losing to teams like FIU and Southern Miss. I do get the fact that we absolutely suck in Florida in every sport, but they are just so bad i don’t think we could be THAT bad to lose to them.

6-6 is my guess and I don’t think we see any big losses.

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

4-8. 

SL will need to b be gone. 

Two 9-win seasons is not enough to mask three 4-win seasons in a row and 4 out of 6 years with a losing record. I just can't see the justification to keep him on board outside of the big donor apathy to cut a check. 

Big donors would have to write one helluva check again. And they very well might—that was what the last big buyout of McCarney showed us that it can be done. But I have flashbacks to Todd Dodge and Tony Benford getting extra years to finish out their careers here because it was affordable at a certain point. Not to mention, you’d probably have to buy out Phil Bennett’s last year as well, unless he’s gonna be back no matter who is the head coach OR he’s the guy Wren Baker believes he wants to take over for SL if things get bad.  As I’ve said, nothing is off the table for SL based off of this season and that is the rarest of cases for a head coach. Feasibly, he could get fired, get to stay for another year, get an extension, or even as remote as it seems now, get hired away in some capacity. It’ll make for an interesting watch, no doubt about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I honestly cannot put a prediction out this season.   Too much depends on what Bennett does with the defense in such a short amount of time.

I will say the UAB game will be the barometer.    Play them to a less-than-1-score loss, or possibly win (it's at home, so we should have an advantage), and we may do well (6+ wins).   Lose by 8 or more to UAB, and we're in for a long year (4- wins).

• Upvote 3

I thought 3-9 with this schedule. I’ve bumped it 1 win to 4-8. Still feel like the O Line could be better which can hopefully help the offense early In games keep up and not go down 3 TDs before the half. 

As for if he stays or goes. Who the heck knows. I agree I’m curious to see how we play against UAB early. But is FIU this seasons ODU? I’ll be curious on that one too. 

Ultimately, if we go 4-8 I don’t see how you justify keeping him after 3 straight years of that. 

• Upvote 4

I agree with @untjim1995at 4-8 but personally I don’t think Wren allows Seth to stay with that record and will name Phil Bennett or Mike Bloesch the interim head coach at mid season and then the University will keep him as coach to help save the money to buyout Seth.  Seth will get another OC job right away which limits the buyout liability as I understand it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m trying to compile some more information before making a record prediction, but one thing I will say is it looks like this is the best we have been in the trenches since 2013. 

We return a 4-year starter at center, 2nd-team all-CUSA Right Tackle, and 1st-team all-CUSA Defensive Tackle. 

Our offensive linemen collectively have 78 career starts entering the season, and our defensive linemen have 62 starts collectively. Not to mention we have a handful of defensive linemen who were offered or signed with P5 schools out of high school, which we have never had as long as I’ve been following the program.

There is a good mix of experience and talent on the lines that I think is currently flying under the radar, especially on the defensive side of the ball. 

Best talent in a year with 3 very likely unwinnable OOC games. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m trying to compile some more information before making a record prediction, but one thing I will say is it looks like this is the best we have been in the trenches since 2013. 

We return a 4-year starter at center, 2nd-team all-CUSA Right Tackle, and 1st-team all-CUSA Defensive Tackle. 

Our offensive linemen collectively have 78 career starts entering the season, and our defensive linemen have 62 starts collectively. Not to mention we have a handful of defensive linemen who were offered or signed with P5 schools out of high school, which we have never had as long as I’ve been following the program.

There is a good mix of experience and talent on the lines that I think is currently flying under the radar, especially on the defensive side of the ball. 

That’s what gives me hope. The Lines. 

Our schedule might be the toughest in Littrell’s tenure though. 

We’ll see which one comes out on top. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I agree with @untjim1995at 4-8 but personally I don’t think Wren allows Seth to stay with that record and will name Phil Bennett or Mike Bloesch the interim head coach at mid season and then the University will keep him as coach to help save the money to buyout Seth.  Seth will get another OC job right away which limits the buyout liability as I understand it.

Baker is not firing anyone mid season unless there is a crime committed. 

Before someone comments that NT football play is a crime, no a real legal investigation. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Missouri and Liberty will be tough.

SMU is a tossup to me. They don’t know what they have at QB yet. 

Northwestern State, UTEP, FIU and Rice should be wins. 

The remainder are toss-ups as I don’t see a dominate team in CUSA this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

••• We should probably try to not make our 2021 CUSA opponents look like they’re in the Big 10. 

Predictions?  Coastal Carolina was picked to finish toward the (if not) the bottom of the SBC last year. 

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Haha 3

I see 9-3 or 3-9 and no inbetween. I know it's a point that has been beaten to death but I really believe if our defense makes marginal improvement, even to the point of just being bad instead of being awful, we can win a handful of close games. Losing Darden is huge but it's a position we're deep at.

NW State - UNT wins along the 55-21 lines and we get a clear picture of who the QB is from here on out.

@ SMU - I would like to think our players are pissed off after last year's embarrassment - at least in my young fan's memory the worst UNT game i've ever watched, but i've only been a student/fan since 2017. Blessed. Anyway I hate them so much and would rather go 1-11 if it meant beating them but give me a 50-30ish loss along the lines of the 2017 game.

UAB - We absolutely have to win this game or @ LA tech and i don't think we win that one. Marshall is good and Liberty may be the best team we face all year. A 1-7 start derails the entire program so they have absolutely got to win one of these. I think UAB is the most realistic at home. Give me a 28-24 UNT win.

@ La Tech - Tough loss that falls apart in the fourth quarter but not a blowout. 41-28 loss. 

@ Mizzou - Loss and not close. We don't stand a chance unless we're 4-0. 

Marshall - Give me a 40-31 UNT win. Once again a must win after what's very likely a 1-4 or 2-3 start. 

Liberty - Likely a big loss but it's at home? I don't know. Obviously they're way better now but Liberty wasn't awful in 2018 and we handled them - again obviously with a much better roster, the sides have flipped, but something tells me we don't get blown out again. I'll say something like a 38-24 loss. 

@ Rice - Need a road win. 30-20 UNT.

@ USM - Will Hall is an exciting prospect but I don't see him making the turnaround year one. If the defense has improved enough by this game we take it in an exciting road win. 45-37 UNT. 

UTEP - We better not even think about it. 52-21 UNT win.

@ FIU - On paper this should be a win. If we're healthy and FIU continues on their downward spiral the last few years this is a winnable game. I don't know that UNT is capable of four consecutive wins this year but to hell with it. Mean Green win 34-13.

UTSA - I think we lose this game but I also think it's one that we can win. If McCormick doesn't push for 300 rushing yards against us last year it's not a blowout loss, or at least it's not as bad. Entirely depends on the defense but i'll chalk it up as a 48-28 loss. 

Or Jace Ruder kickstarts a heisman campaign and we go 11-1. A good defense gets us 8 wins in this schedule. An okay defense gets us 6 and a bad to awful defense gets us 4-5 at best. Defense defense defense. Man I am ready for football. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, WanderingEagle said:

I see 9-3 or 3-9 and no inbetween. 

Just to let you know, you’re 7-5 prediction by reading your game predictions is kinda between 9-3 and 3-9. 

New year, new team but UAB just seems a more solid team than us at this point. La Tech feels like a better chance to get a win. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

No way Phil gets back into head coaching again. If we were to have an interim, Bloesch would be the guy for sure.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Just to let you know, you’re 7-5 prediction by reading your game predictions is exactly between 9-3 and 3-9. 

New year, new team but UAB just seems a more solid team than us at this point. La Tech feels like a better chance to get a win. 

And yeah exactly. Ceiling is 9-3, floor is 3-9. If the defense can make plays early on and ELIMINATE BIG PLAYS (something the defense hasn’t been able to stop since 2013) I think 7 wins is reasonable.

There are 3 offenses im worried about and those are probably the better chance of a loss. SMU, Liberty and UTSA. All 3 return so much 

Its so hard to tell really who will be great and who will suck, but I have a feeling those 3 will be tremendous.

• Upvote 1