Tre Siggers Update

Coach Andy Mac

On 8/12/2021 at 12:32 PM, Coach Andy Mac said:

Former North Texas running back Tre Siggers looks as advertised early on in camp. He has experience and will be a great combo with the electric Ulysses Bentley. Siggers had a great game vs SMU in 2019 and a great relationship with assistant HC/RB coach Ra’Shaad Samples. Sample’s dad, Reginald Samples, is a legendary coach in Texas and coached Tre at Duncanville High School. SMU is really excited about its new transfers on offense like Siggers, tight end Grant Calcaterra and QB Tanner Mordecai. 

read more:  https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-fall-camp-report-Jaxson-Dart-meeting-the-hype-169004498/#169004498_7

Lets face the truth here! Littrells undying love for Deandre Torrey is why better running backs are leaving this team.  Deandre wasnt the best RB on the team when Siggers was here, and he isnt the best Rb this year either. He has no ability to get YAC after first contact, and outside of bubble screens and a few draws he is far from impressive. If Ataway doesnt start getting some carries, he will be the next to leave. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Lets face the truth here! Littrells undying love for Deandre Torrey is why better running backs are leaving this team.  Deandre wasnt the best RB on the team when Siggers was here, and he isnt the best Rb this year either. He has no ability to get YAC after first contact, and outside of bubble screens and a few draws he is far from impressive. If Ataway doesnt start getting some carries, he will be the next to leave. 

Go ahead and down vote me! I could care less! The truth does hurt! Heck two of the guys on the depth chart under Torey are better than him! I am a realist not a homer. When its 4th and 1 and the game is on the line do you give it to Torey or Oscar Ataway? My point exactly!

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Yet, Torrey averaged 5.8 ypc to Stiggers 5.4 ypc.  Adaway also averaged 5.8 ypc.

I guess NT just blocks better for Torrey to disguise his lack of running ability

Torrey is a good rb, I don't think he is flashy as some others, but he does appear to block well which is a very valuable trait. 

It is my belief there are few if any HC's that want to undermine their own success by playing favorites in lieu of better options. 

The only rb I know of that played and left was Stiggers and if you believe him; it was to play with his dream team.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yet, Torrey averaged 5.8 ypc to Stiggers 5.4 ypc.  Adaway also averaged 5.8 ypc.

I guess NT just blocks better for Torrey to disguise his lack of running ability

Torrey is a good rb, I don't think he is flashy as some others, but he does appear to block well which is a very valuable trait. 

It is my belief there are few if any HC's that want to undermine their own success by playing favorites in lieu of better options. 

The only rb I know of that played and left was Stiggers and if you believe him; it was to play with his dream team.

4th and 1 and the game is on the line do you hand it to Torrey or Ataway? You darn well know Torey is an undersized back who wont move the piles in a stacked box, he has proven that over and over again. Sure he can get a couple big gainers off a few draws, but that doesn't make him great. He is more valuable as a receiver than a runner. He is not nor has he been a better runner or finisher than Ataway. Ataway is a guy who is skilled enough to play on Sundays, Torrey may be skilled enough to kick the tires around in the CFL. Litrell has undermined himself time and time again, like the way he treated Bussey for example. Torey is a great 3rd down back, but hes not an every down back like Oscar. 

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

4th and 1 and the game is on the line do you hand it to Torrey or Ataway? You darn well know Torey is an undersized back who wont move the piles in a stacked box, he has proven that over and over again. Sure he can get a couple big gainers off a few draws, but that doesn't make him great. He is more valuable as a receiver than a runner. He is not nor has he been a better runner or finisher than Ataway. Ataway is a guy who is skilled enough to play on Sundays, Torrey may be skilled enough to kick the tires around in the CFL. Litrell has undermined himself time and time again, like the way he treated Bussey for example. Torey is a great 3rd down back, but hes not an every down back like Oscar. 

I missed the part were anybody said Torrey was great.  Torrey started last year, so I guess he is in effect a every down back. 

If reports are true, they are looking for ways to have both Torrey and probably Attaway in the game at the same time. 

Not sure what you think Littrell did to Bussey.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, GrandGreen said:

I missed the part were anybody said Torrey was great.  Torrey started last year, so I guess he is in effect a every down back. 

If reports are true, they are looking for ways to have both Torrey and probably Attaway in the game at the same time. 

Not sure what you think Littrell did to Bussey.

Cut his PT and made him play when he was injured.  That could work!! I just dont want Torrey being the every down back, its counter productive, especially in short yardage situations. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

10 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Cut his PT and made him play when he was injured.  That could work!! I just dont want Torrey being the every down back, its counter productive, especially in short yardage situations. 

Most coaches don't make medical decisions, they leave that up to the team doctors and trainers.

Although, I must admit; it is a good trick to cut someone's playing time and also play him when he is hurt.   Seems, like it would be one or the other. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

Go ahead and down vote me! I could care less! The truth does hurt! Heck two of the guys on the depth chart under Torey are better than him! I am a realist not a homer. When its 4th and 1 and the game is on the line do you give it to Torey or Oscar Ataway? My point exactly!

Who?  

By the way, it is Adaway.

Edited by UNTLifer

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Who?  

By the way, it is Adaway.

Adaway and Johnson are better short yardage backs than Torrey, the only problem is if you play Torrey on every down and only put Johnson and Adaway in the game on short yardage, defenses know what we are doing. I dont know why we dont move Torrey to the slot and call it a day, he is a 5'7 undersized scat back. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Adaway and Johnson are better short yardage backs than Torrey, the only problem is if you play Torrey on every down and only put Johnson and Adaway in the game on short yardage, defenses know what we are doing. I dont know why we dont move Torrey to the slot and call it a day, he is a 5'7 undersized scat back. 

I like your style--keep posting.  Don’t let OldDenton & the fossils get you down.  They are all running for the coveted 🏆 “GMG Poster of the Year” award while  most of them still show an unusual propensity to never let this athletic program ever grow past the eras they attended NTSUNT.  

•••I will add that I am a big Torrey fan, albeit I understand where you’re coming from. 😊

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, PlummMeanGreen said:

I like your style--keep posting.  Don’t let OldDenton & the fossils get you down.
 ••• They are all running for the coveted 🏆 “GMG Poster of the Year” award while  most of them still show an unusual propensity to never let this athletic program ever grow past the eras they attended NTSUNT.  

Thank you! I have noticed a trend on this forum! A majority of posters here defend the status quo, and are more homers than actual fans of the team. For Example!

1) Honestly believing or convincing themselves that a 5'7 scat back is better than Adaway who can not only take it to the house on every carry, but can truck people while doing it if need be.  Torey is down after initial contact. I get he averages 5.8 yards, but he has a hell of a lot of 1 yard carries and if they arent 1 yard carries, they are 15 to 20 yard carries. His YPC is not the whole story. I cant count on two hands how many times we had a turnover on downs because Torey couldnt gain a yard when we needed it.  Adaway will give you at least 3 hard fought yards a carry. He is the kind of back that can make third downs manageable. 

2) Aune never was the answer, he played because Bean was awful. Bean was the answer till he screwed it all up. If Aune is the best we can do we are in serious trouble as a team.  People who honestly are cheering for Aune over Ruder succeeding have lost their ever loving mind. 

3) Defending why Pirtle should start over guys like Jake Roberts and Asher Alberding.  I get the love for Pirtle but Jake Roberts ceiling is clearly higher than all three of these kids, and deserves the reps at TE. 

4) Our defense is bad! But who really cares because we only score points in the 2nd half of play when we are getting blown out of games anyhow. I mean is it because Aune is any good, or is it because teams have taken their foot off the gas pedals on us? I think Aunes stats were severely inflated. 

5) People need to realize for two straight years Ruder did lose his job to Howell, and he didnt want to be a backup, he wanted to play. What better way then to showcase your skills at a college who runs a similar offense to Oklahama where Mayfield, Murray and Rattler are playing? Id come to UNT over a school like Kansas State, Kansas or Arkansas. Think of all the offensive guys we had recently that are now playing on Sundays? You can say many things about Litrell, but finding and putting skilled position receivers on offense isnt one of his problems. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

26 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I like your style--keep posting.  Don’t let OldDenton & the fossils get you down.  They are all running for the coveted 🏆 “GMG Poster of the Year” award while  most of them still show an unusual propensity to never let this athletic program ever grow past the eras they attended NTSUNT.  

•••I will add that I am a big Torrey fan, albeit I understand where you’re coming from. 😊

❇️🦅❇️

I really want to know the idiot who truly believes Aune is a better Option than Ruder, and that Torrey is a better short yardage back than Adaway and that Pirtle is better than Jake Roberts! I really would like to know who that Homer is! I see you keep downvoting all my posts, who are you? Explain why a 5'7 Torrey is a better short yardage back than the 6'0 200 pound Adaway. Id love to hear the argument. I need a good laugh today.

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

12 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

...Honestly believing or convincing themselves that a 5'7 scat back is better than Adaway...

No one is saying this.   Please show me where anyone has said this.  You're the only person arguing this.  We're all very excited about Adaway's future.   Obviously Littrell is too if he's tinkering with putting Torrey in the slot so both Adaway & Torrey are on the field at the same time (yet Adaway will be the RB.  Torrey is the one moving around).

14 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

...People who honestly are cheering for Aune over Ruder...

No one is doing this.  Please show me where anyone has said they hope Aune wins over Ruder.    Again, around here, we want what's best for the Mean Green.   If it's Aune, it's Aune.  If it's Ruder, it's Ruder.

16 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

...Defending why Pirtle should start over guys like Jake Roberts and Asher Alberding...

No one is saying this.  Please show me where anyone has said this.  Again, this is an argument you are having with yourself.

• Upvote 4

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

No one is saying this.   Please show me where anyone has said this.  You're the only person arguing this.  We're all very excited about Adaway's future.   Obviously Littrell is too if he's tinkering with putting Torrey in the slot so both Adaway & Torrey are on the field at the same time (yet Adaway will be the RB.  Torrey is the one moving around).

No one is doing this.  Please show me where anyone has said they hope Aune wins over Ruder.    Again, around here, we want what's best for the Mean Green.   If it's Aune, it's Aune.  If it's Ruder, it's Ruder.

No one is saying this.  Please show me where anyone has said this.  Again, this is an argument you are having with yourself.

The person Downvoting this, is saying it! Actions are words Ohh Great one!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 9

8 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

I really want to know the idiot who truly believes Aune is a better Option than Ruder, and that Torrey is a better short yardage back than Adaway and that Pirtle is better than Jake Roberts! I really would like to know who that Homer is! I see you keep downvoting all my posts, who are you? Explain why a 5'7 Torrey is a better short yardage back than the 6'0 200 pound Adaway. Id love to hear the argument. I need a good laugh today.

I think people may be downvoting you (not me by the way,  you got 'Skeptical Eagle' a couple of times from me), are doing so because they don't appreciate your tone... Not necessarily because they disagree.

EDIT:   Also, it's pretty standard around here that if you start complaining about downvotes, people will pile on the downvotes... just because.   It's a beautiful schtick we do.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

As a resident skeptic and overall pessimist of North Texas football, you'll learn to tone it down. Makes conversations with other board members a lot more pleasant. 

I love my university and it's sports programs. There are a lot of homers here, no doubt. But more often than not the regular posters (such as @MeanGreenTexan) put forward good faith arguments/points. 

At this point he's right. You're just arguing with yourself.

Is Ruder better than Aune? As a high school player, yes. As a college QB? Nobody knows because we haven't seen him play a down for us. I want whoever will win us football games.

Pirtle is not the answer at TE, and I'm almost positive everyone would agree on that one.

Torrey is a good compliment back, not a workhorse. We've known that since he's been here. He's small, quick, and shifty with good hands. Everything you want in a 3rd down/compliment back. Addaway is a big guy that's better suited in between the tackles. As for Torrey not gaining a yard on 3rd and 1, I'd argue that's more Littrell's fault, because all 128 teams in the FBS and probably most of the FCS know his short yardage strategy is a run up the gut. 

All that being said, if Littrell wins less than 6 games, he needs to be canned, and we need to find a competent head coach

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

47 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

I really want to know the idiot who truly believes...

As you’ve observed, GMG tends to have no shortage of idiots.  Hell, I’ve probably been guilty of being one from time to time, yet some I think totally misunderstand my Baby Boomer era & “early SNL” style sarcasm.   And yes, opinionated Mean Green fans this forum most definitely has an abundance. 😆 

🗣••• There are only 2 kinds of people I have absolutely no use (& I avoid them): 
(1) bonafide racists &     
(2) bonafide (sometimes subtle) race-baiters.      

Life is too short. 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Maybe they are just downvoting your personality?

What does my personality have to do with the fact Torrey isnt as good as Adaway? Its just an angry homer who cant come to grips with reality that the best players on the team he cheers for arent getting the desired reps they need. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 6

23 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

As a resident skeptic and overall pessimist of North Texas football, you'll learn to tone it down. Makes conversations with other board members a lot more pleasant. 

I love my university and it's sports programs. There are a lot of homers here, no doubt. But more often than not the regular posters (such as @MeanGreenTexan) put forward good faith arguments/points. 

At this point he's right. You're just arguing with yourself.

Is Ruder better than Aune? As a high school player, yes. As a college QB? Nobody knows because we haven't seen him play a down for us. I want whoever will win us football games.

Pirtle is not the answer at TE, and I'm almost positive everyone would agree on that one.

Torrey is a good compliment back, not a workhorse. We've known that since he's been here. He's small, quick, and shifty with good hands. Everything you want in a 3rd down/compliment back. Addaway is a big guy that's better suited in between the tackles. As for Torrey not gaining a yard on 3rd and 1, I'd argue that's more Littrell's fault, because all 128 teams in the FBS and probably most of the FCS know his short yardage strategy is a run up the gut. 

All that being said, if Littrell wins less than 6 games, he needs to be canned, and we need to find a competent head coach

And yet I am downvoted several times for pointing out the simple fact Adaway should be eating almost all of Torreys reps! Some people either feel threatened here by new ideas, or they are cool with the status quo. If Aune isnt as good as Mason Fine, he shouldnt be starting. Mason is now the gold standard here. You play guys till you find that guy. Aune isnt that guy, I am sorry. Most of our scores did come in the 2nd half of play, its just a fact. Its like our offense in most of our games didnt even show up the first half. You can blame it on a lot of things, lack of blocking, lack of receiving outside of Darden, too much Darden. You can slice it up anyway you want. The fact of the matter is until Ruder shows he isnt the answer, he should start, for the simple fact we know what Aune can and cant do.  If Ruder struggles yank him, but doing the status quo is not going to win us six games. Playing Adaway instead of Torey and Roberts instead of Pirtle makes a world of difference. 

• Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

As you’ve observed, GMG tends to have no shortage of idiots.  Hell, I’ve probably been guilty of being one from time to time, yet   some totally misunderstand my Baby Boomer era sarcasm.   So yes, opinionated Mean Green fans this forum most definitely has an abundance. 😆 
🗣••• There are only 2 kinds of people I have absolutely no use (& I avoid them): 
(1) bonafide racists &     
(2) bonafide (sometimes subtle) race-baiters.      

Life is too short. 

🦅

I can't argue with that one! Who is that guy to tell the world he doubts I graduated from UNT? He acts as if the Mean Green are some power house in football, and I should have been here eight years ago on this forum. I didn't know forums had a time limit for when you join them. This place seems like a good ole boy dont rock the boat club to me. 

• Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

And yet I am downvoted several times for pointing out the simple fact Adaway should be eating almost all of Torreys reps! Some people either feel threatened here by new ideas, or they are cool with the status quo. If Aune isnt as good as Mason Fine, he shouldnt be starting. Mason is now the gold standard here. You play guys till you find that guy. Aune isnt that guy, I am sorry. Most of our scores did come in the 2nd half of play, its just a fact. Its like our offense in most of our games didnt even show up the first half. You can blame it on a lot of things, lack of blocking, lack of receiving outside of Darden, too much Darden. You can slice it up anyway you want. The fact of the matter is until Ruder shows he isnt the answer, he should start, for the simple fact we know what Aune can and cant do.  If Ruder struggles yank him, but doing the status quo is not going to win us six games. Playing Adaway instead of Torey and Roberts instead of Pirtle makes a world of difference. 

It's not the message that's getting downvoted
52fe711b332e7d4f0db73c50f5cffeba.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think people may be downvoting you (not me by the way,  you got 'Skeptical Eagle' a couple of times from me), are doing so because they don't appreciate your tone... Not necessarily because they disagree.

EDIT:   Also, it's pretty standard around here that if you start complaining about downvotes, people will pile on the downvotes... just because.   It's a beautiful schtick we do.

Downvotes dont bother me, I wear them like a badge of courage! LOL 

• Pissed 2
  • Downvote 3