Tre Siggers Update

Coach Andy Mac

Former North Texas running back Tre Siggers looks as advertised early on in camp. He has experience and will be a great combo with the electric Ulysses Bentley. Siggers had a great game vs SMU in 2019 and a great relationship with assistant HC/RB coach Ra’Shaad Samples. Sample’s dad, Reginald Samples, is a legendary coach in Texas and coached Tre at Duncanville High School. SMU is really excited about its new transfers on offense like Siggers, tight end Grant Calcaterra and QB Tanner Mordecai. 

read more:  https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-fall-camp-report-Jaxson-Dart-meeting-the-hype-169004498/#169004498_7

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

You guys are so funny to me.  When a dude transfers you act all high and mighty towards any fan that gets upset about it.  Then when someone wants to keep track of a former players career you get all pissy!  😂 

I have said it before somewhere in these forums. It should be a universally obeyed rule to respect the decisions of these 18-22 year old kids as they are massive, life-altering decisions that heavily affect their future. If Siggers feels he has a better chance at making the pros or ensuring a better future for himself in or out of football at SMU then all the power in the world to him, and best wishes.

At the same time, when one of your more reliable players up and switches to hands down *our* biggest rival and a team that already has a leg up on us in most categories, it's 100% justified for people to be bothered by it and not give one lick of care for him moving forward. 

In this case, you can have your cake and eat it too. Siggers was a fun, exciting player for UNT who - definitely through some shady tampering - now plays for a school we all dislike that does not respect us. It sucks. It's not an indictment of hypocrisy from the fans at all. 

• Upvote 9
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I remember the $MU game where Siggers ran all over and through the Mustang defense.

On Pony Fans, the $MU fans were stating how much they would like to have Siggers on their team.

Some how Siggers did end up on their team. I wonder if there was player tampering going on since that game?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

This is such a weird board sometimes. What illegal recruiting do you think needed to occur here?  Do you think SMU convinced a Siggers, who didn't want to transfer, to transfer, so they could add another player to one of their strongest positions?

Kids decide to transfer all the time. Maybe he didn't like something at UNT.  Maybe he want to move up to a program that's performing better and plays higher profile opponents.  Who knows.  Happens all the time and will happen more with no transfer penalty.  SMU has players who transferred up like Siggers and players who transferred down for playing time. The only thing unusual here is UNT's ability to take advantage of the transfer portal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

12 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

This is such a weird board sometimes. What illegal recruiting do you think needed to occur here?  Do you think SMU convinced a Siggers, who didn't want to transfer, to transfer, so they could add another player to one of their strongest positions?

Kids decide to transfer all the time. Maybe he didn't like something at UNT.  Maybe he want to move up to a program that's performing better and plays higher profile opponents.  Who knows.  Happens all the time and will happen more with no transfer penalty.  SMU has players who transferred up like Siggers and players who transferred down for playing time. The only thing unusual here is UNT's ability to take advantage of the transfer portal. 

SMU cheat, now we know that could never happen

Transfer up, did I miss the announcement that SMU is in a new conference?

One word of advise, when cheating is mentioned relative to SMU; it might be better to just remain silent.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

SMU cheat, now we know that could never happen

Transfer up, did I miss the announcement that SMU is in a new conference?

One word of advise, when cheating is mentioned relative to SMU; it might be better to just remain silent.  

We spent weeks in the top 25 with multiple other conference mates, including Cincy in the top 10.  We had a very successful game with GameDay there the year before.  Nobody is talking about whether your conference will raid the B12 leftovers or vice versa  If you can't admit that's an increase in prestige and competition you have some serious self-confidence issues to work through. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

We spent weeks in the top 25 with multiple other conference mates, including Cincy in the top 10.  We had a very successful game with GameDay there the year before.  Nobody is talking about whether your conference will raid the B12 leftovers or vice versa  If you can't admit that's an increase in prestige and competition you have some serious self-confidence issues to work through. 

And yet, I am not posting on a mustang forum bragging about another teams' success.  

Notice you didn't really address SMU as the post penalized program in the NCAA which was the focus of the comment.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

And yet, I am not posting on a mustang forum bragging about another teams' success.  

Notice you didn't really address SMU as the post penalized program in the NCAA which was the focus of the comment.  

I live in Denton and casually follow UNT. I'm reminded why I never posted here for so long however......

As to your cheating comment, there is nothing to address. There's not even a scenario where SMU would cheat to snag a backup RB when we have a strong RB room and much bigger needs.  If you are implying it was negotiated before he declared for the portal, sure. I'd imagine he reached out to multiple schools in advance through an intermediary. That's how these things are done everywhere.  I don't know if that's cheating in fact, but certainly not in spirit. 

Beyond that I can't imagine what you are even trying to bring up. We got penalized slightly more than everyone else is a dirty conference 35 years ago. We clearly haven't been cheating since then otherwise we are the most incompetent cheaters ever. 

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

21 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

I live in Denton and casually follow UNT. I'm reminded why I never posted here for so long however......

As to your cheating comment, there is nothing to address. There's not even a scenario where SMU would cheat to snag a backup RB when we have a strong RB room and much bigger needs.  If you are implying it was negotiated before he declared for the portal, sure. I'd imagine he reached out to multiple schools in advance through an intermediary. That's how these things are done everywhere.  I don't know if that's cheating in fact, but certainly not in spirit. 

Beyond that I can't imagine what you are even trying to bring up. We got penalized slightly more than everyone else is a dirty conference 35 years ago. We clearly haven't been cheating since then otherwise we are the most I competent cheaters ever. 

Slightly more?

SMU is currently a better team in a better conference.  If you think most NT fans are not aware of that, than post away. 

What I would suggest is that you post on SMU media and try to spread the word because SMU needs more fans that actually go to games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, DentonStang said:

On 8/12/2021 at 12:32 PM, Coach Andy Mac said:

Siggers had a great game vs SMU in 2019 and a great relationship with assistant HC/RB coach Ra’Shaad Samples. Sample’s dad, Reginald Samples, is a legendary coach in Texas and coached Tre at Duncanville High School. 

Gee, I wonder why we would think that. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Beyond that I can't imagine what you are even trying to bring up. We got penalized slightly more than everyone else is a dirty conference 35 years ago. We clearly haven't been cheating since then otherwise we are the most I competent cheaters ever. 

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF