Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend...

Jonnyeagle

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

He has always thrown a good ball and shown impressive arm strength and deep ball touch. Problem last year was consistency/accuracy. Way too many incompletions.

Statistically he was really impressive. 13/4 TD:INT, led the conference in QB rating, QB rating was better than all of Fine’s season except his Junior year, and according to PFF he was also 2nd in the nation in dropped TD passes with 5. He also was asked to make a lot of tough throws.

If he’s the guy I think it will be very imperative for him to start using the RBs and Tight Ends on check downs instead of throwing so many of these low % prayer passes. 8.9 yards/attempt last year is great. Again, it’s better than anything Fine ever had, but we need more of those 3-5 yards passes instead of 0-yard passes that keep our offense behind the sticks.

I just want him to avoid putting the ball on the turf

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Teams bring in at least one QB a year on nearly all cases.

Players are signed with the hope that they will become super stars. 

Injuries to QB's are quite common, a team better have a backup plan.  

The players that give the team the best chance of success are going to be the ones that are played.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

But can he take it on the run, baby?

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If that's the way you want it, baby.

9 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

I don't believe it.

Not for a minute.

You're thinking up your white lies

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Littrell brought Morris in. 

Yep, my bad.  SL was hire in December of '15 and Morris committed in January of '16.

Every team looks to upgrade every position.  OU has Rattler and they brought in a QB transfer.  Our QB room is now deeper than ever.  If Aune starts, then we have a P5 transfer as the backup, and if Ruder starts, we have one of last year's best CUSA QB's as the backup.  We have greater worries than the QB position.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep, my bad.  SL was hire in December of '15 and Morris committed in January of '16.

Every team looks to upgrade every position.  OU has Rattler and they brought in a QB transfer.  Our QB room is now deeper than ever.  If Aune starts, then we have a P5 transfer as the backup, and if Ruder starts, we have one of last year's best CUSA QB's as the backup.  We have greater worries than the QB position.

And if Martin Starts, we compete for a NYE Bowl because we have the deepest QB stable in the country. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

lots of people look great at the driving range....

Since I don't play golf, I'll take your word for it that that is a true statement. But when it comes to the QB position at NT, "lots" would be a very generous word to apply to what I have observed in practice in recent years.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

One of the biggest mistakes Seth has made. Bowl game, we win he would of been MVP. Alec was a very classy guy.

I wish Seth had stayed with Alec. Before we have the Mason melt down.... Yes he put up great numbers, but I believe if he could have sat and learned for a year before he took over he might have been an even better QB. And with hind-site being 20/20, if I'm not wrong - If he had red shirted, last year would have been his Sr season and he could still be playing here if he had choose so.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I wish Seth had stayed with Alec. Before we have the Mason melt down.... Yes he put up great numbers, but I believe if he could have sat and learned for a year before he took over he might have been an even better QB. And with hind-site being 20/20, if I'm not wrong - If he had red shirted, last year would have been his Sr season and he could still be playing here if he had choose so.

Correct lol. For evidence, Jason Pirtle is still here and he and Fine both came here from Locust Grove at the same time (2016).

• Upvote 2

On 8/11/2021 at 12:23 PM, golfingomez said:

remember that time someone posted a video of Josh Greer throwing in a practice facility and people got excited?

that's how i feel about this...

If he was throwing ducks to be shot down like clay pigeons, then that would be the only believable possibility of anyone getting excited about anything Josh Greer threw in a UNT uniform. 

Worst QB I have ever seen start at UNT since 1990. I’m not sure a bad FCS team would have let him start at QB for them. Yet, there we are in Austin, with him as our QB…

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If he was throwing ducks to be shot down like clay pigeons, then that would be the only believable possibility of anyone getting excited about anything Josh Greer threw in a UNT uniform. 

Worst QB I have ever seen start at UNT since 1990. I’m not sure a bad FCS team would have let him start at QB for them. Yet, there we are in Austin, with him as our QB…

Well it was either him or McNuggets. We were absolutely screwed once Thompson left

• Upvote 2

Just now, GrandGreen said:

Could you imagine what Steve Ramsey's numbers would be if he played the games Fine did at NT?  

Ramsey  29 games, 7076 passing yards, 69 tds

Fine 48 games, 12,237 passing yards, 91 tds

And Ramsey played at a time when DB's could cover tight and not be flagged

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Crazy but true, we signed 15 QBs throughout the 2010s and Mason Fine is the only one with more career passing yards than McNulty at North Texas.

Not sure how much that actually means.  In 2010-13, our starting QBs were not signed in the 2010s, McNulty was pretty much the guy from 2014-2015, Mason Fine led us from 2016-2019, and two guys split reps and starts last year.  So it's really only a 2-horse race.

If Aune wins the starting job this year, he will easily surpass McNulty's yardage.

• Upvote 3