Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend...

Jonnyeagle

I definitely agree. Got a chance, before they threw me out 🙄, to see what he looked like and he had several great passes to Roberts and Simpson. It’s looking like he’s been working with the first team, and I would say gained a lot of experience from last year.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, golfingomez said:

remember that time someone posted a video of Josh Greer throwing in a practice facility and people got excited?

that's how i feel about this...

Except Aune had good numbers last year after not playing for a number of years while chasing his baseball dream.  Two entirely different set of circumstances. 

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

While I really hope Aune improves, why did the staff feel like it needed to bring in a P5 transfer at the QB position of they are set on Aune? I feel like both guys can be good and we really need one to step up if we want to make any noise this year. 

I feel like I see this type of outlook a lot and I don’t think it would be all that strange to bring in a P5 QB and not start him. Best case scenario Ruder is better than Aune, worst case he’s most likely still our 2nd best QB. 

We had a lot of QBs but seemingly none our coaches trust on the field outside of Aune and maybe Martin. Martin has been here 4 years and firmly behind Aune and Bean the entire time, Gilmore and Kuehne are/were non-factors in the QB race and Drummond is a true freshman. We had the scholarship and if all Ruder does is bolster our backup QB spot, that’s a pretty good use of the scholarship IMO.

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I feel like I see this type of outlook a lot and I don’t think it would be all that strange to bring in a P5 QB and not start him. Best case scenario Ruder is better than Aune, worst case he’s most likely still our 2nd best QB. 

We had a lot of QBs but seemingly none our coaches trust on the field outside of Aune and maybe Martin. Martin has been here 4 years and firmly behind Aune and Bean the entire time, Gilmore and Kuehne are/were non-factors in the QB race and Drummond is a true freshman. We had the scholarship and if all Ruder does is bolster our backup QB spot, that’s a pretty good use of the scholarship IMO.

Again i truly hope Aune is the answer, but I would be underwhelmed if we transfer in a P5 QB and be satisfied he is our back up. I was disappointed in Alec Morris too when he came in from Alabama but got replaced by a freshman…. Turned out that freshman was pretty dang great and maybe Aune will be too, but doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be disappointed as I truly feel Ruder was not brought in to be the back up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Seems like Littrell does this a lot.  Harken back to Alec Morris the Alabama transfer QB.  He was sort of like an insurance policy in case Greer or whoever didn't work out and whatnot.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Seems like Littrell does this a lot.  Harken back to Alec Morris the Alabama transfer QB.  He was sort of like an insurance policy in case Greer or whoever didn't work out and whatnot.

I believe Morris was committed prior to Littrell arriving.

• Confused 3
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Again i truly hope Aune is the answer, but I would be underwhelmed if we transfer in a P5 QB and be satisfied he is our back up. I was disappointed in Alec Morris too when he came in from Alabama but got replaced by a freshman…. Turned out that freshman was pretty dang great and maybe Aune will be too, but doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be disappointed as I truly feel Ruder was not brought in to be the back up. 

Yeah for sure, I get being disappointed by that should it happen. But at the end of the day the QBs we signed from 2017-2020 (Pearson, Bean, Martin, Kuehne, Gilmore) are all either gone or have not really proven themselves in the coaches eyes. You need more than one playable QB.

If we hadn’t signed Morris in 2016 then we probably don’t make it to a Bowl Game that year. He was huge in winning that 5th game against Southern Miss and actually finished with more TD passes than Fine that season.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

If I remember correctly, he came in the summer? I’m trying to remember who the first signee was

Morris graduated from Bama in fall 2015 and joined North Texas after Bama won the CFP that January 2016. We also signed Bryce English that winter but the first two signees were DE Joshua Wheeler and OL TJ Henson, iirc. That was back when only JUCOs signed on December signing day.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

One of the biggest mistakes Seth has made. Bowl game, we win he would of been MVP. Alec was a very classy guy.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Maybe we should put less meaning behind the term P5 QB, or P5 anything.  Countless players get evaluated incorrectly every year, unless a player has actually played meaningful minutes at a P5 school then all they are up to this point is a player that for whatever reason has not been able to find the field at the FBS level.  Sure maybe they had a few P5 offers coming out of HS however many years ago, but most of the time if they are coming "down" to UNT it's because they couldn't earn playing time.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1