Scheduling question for Wren. Why are we dropping SMU?

Tom McKrackin

This issue has been brought up before but it appears that we replace SMU with Wyoming in 2026 and after.  WTF?  Was this our choice or theirs?  This has been a great series for both schools in terms of attendance and rivalries.  I really hope that it will continue and would like an explanation if it does not.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/north-texas/

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

This issue has been brought up before but it appears that we replace SMU with Wyoming in 2026 and after.  WTF?  Was this our choice or theirs?  This has been a great series for both schools in terms of attendance and rivalries.  I really hope that it will continue and would like an explanation if it does not.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/north-texas/

Not sure why it is not being renewed, but this was essentially the original agreement. It was setup as a 4-game series from 2014-2017 with an 8-game option for 2018-2025. The option got picked up but any games beyond that would need to come in the form of a new series agreement and that never happened, it seems. 

That agreement took place in 2008 and both Universities have changed Athletic Directors since then.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • RV 1

Tom, I know you’re accessing football schedules which his usually correct I too would like the the series to continue, but the attendance is one-sided we sell anywhere 10-15,000 tickets at SMU and sell about maybe 1,000 ( that’s mostly players & band families )at Apogee. Now since both teams keep their home gates who do think is making out on the series? Also why aren’t we playing them in Basketball (because of the Coach maybe)so I for really don’t care anymore and I been going to all NT events since 1970. Just my rant 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

I can totally live without playing smu ever again.

You better be careful…I’ve been told that the SMU series was an unbelievable coup for our little ol’ Teachers College…never mind that our entire program freaks out at the site of the Mustang on the helmet as soon as a game starts, since the entire fanbase acts like this is the equivalent to Texas playing OU.

Meanwhile, SMU hopes and prays TCU doesn’t up and drop them in OOC play and wants nothing to do with being in a conference with them ever again. Sound familiar?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

OK, I'll start the rumor.  North Texas and SMU will be in the same conference in a few years and the conference will handle our scheduling.

Before UT and OU bolted for the SEC, the experts were saying 2025 would be the year for FBS realignment due to expiring TV deals. Hmm.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

Tom, I know you’re accessing football schedules which his usually correct I too would like the the series to continue, but the attendance is one-sided we sell anywhere 10-15,000 tickets at SMU and sell about maybe 1,000 ( that’s mostly players & band families )at Apogee. Now since both teams keep their home gates who do think is making out on the series? Also why aren’t we playing them in Basketball (because of the Coach maybe)so I for really don’t care anymore and I been going to all NT events since 1970. Just my rant 

Well SMU fans may barely be coming to Apogee, but SMU does lead to more NT fans coming to Apogee games I would gather.

• Upvote 5

At times I guess I can be a plethora of totally useless information, data & thought, but maybe not so with this following subject?

Why does a public university in northern Texas that is still projected to reach 50,000 enrollment—why do some affiliated with said Denton-based school keep genuflecting to another school that (now) is apparently ashamed of being affiliated with the United Methodist Church denomination—why does an SMU who has shown a propensity in the not so distant past to pay some to play & who would sell their souls to be able to (once again) be in a conference with the Big Boys—anyway, why do they keep occupying too much of our intellect & (basically) our time? (Like me right now).😊

🐎 When SMU gets jump-kicked again away from the P5 Moderate 8 Conference schools with some they thought to be their friends—will it be be possible that Shhmoo will have the best football team money & promises can buy that no one (still) cares to watch at their Gerald J. Ford Stadium?  (Maybe it’s High🥬Time for another Russ Pitts/Brad Thomas Mustang Mania promo when they give away prior to each game 200,000 plus tickets for a 32,000 seat home stadium.  (Remember when they once did that vs Baylor at Texas Stadium & 5 Bears fans each had the same seat)? 😆

Fill Apogee Stadium On September 6’th—It’s Band Day!   And no, it’s not Northwestern of the Big 10 we’ll be playing-it’s Northwestern of the SLC. It’s  those Demons!  Yet should it matter which Northwestern? After all, it’s our team they’re playing—right? (BTW, bring a green crucifix to this game—you never know).🤢

The mindset at our favorite school that we should adopt would be like that of UT-Austin when their students & fans (in UNT’s earliest games with the Horns) showed up en mass at DKR Memorial against a school from Denton-Texas-America of which they absolutely had no history of playing.  

••• Turnstiles success at Apogee against any school is one way you put SMU on the back-burner of your minds & scheduling past;  a past when sometimes we were (unknowingly) playing a semi-pro college football team which the NCAA had to punish Big Time.  (What UNT & other schools don’t know is when they were playing  a pay for play outfit when they were not getting caught by the NCAA).  

🚨Questions 67 & 68 &— 2021...What $MU will do with all this new NIL business one can only gue$$ & one should very creatively use his imagination when guessing.  No doubt SMU will abuse NIL to the max & will cause the NCAA to eventually tighten the rules on it (or better yet—discontinue it).  I’d venture to say NIL will cause some traditionally honest programs to become, uh, dishonest? 

🍺🍸🍹...🥛Closing Time—Last Call For Alcohol......Sorry, but we just don’t need the elitist school from (whats really not Dallas) on our schedule & we never did.  
We really need bigger fish to fry than SMU & I bet AD Wren Baker will haul such fish in.

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

It sure make for an easy road game for players and fans.  

That’s my favorite part. We get another de facto home game in Dallas every other year. Just wish we’d show up and play the way we’re capable there occasionally.

Would love to switch the series out for TCU though. Doubt they’ll ever do it again but they really travel too. Would be great gates for both schools these days. 

• Upvote 3

Tulsa has always been a good OOC opponent. We recruit against them and they are an AAC team, too. Would love to play a series with Tulane, as well. 

I won't miss SMU a single bit. They play us only we they need wins to build up their program, then they go away for years until they need us again. We played them in the late 70s until 1981. After that, we don't show up again on their schedule until 1989, as they get back from the Death Penalty and we gladly schedule a 2 for 1 with them, which they won both games easily in Dallas. Then, we don't even get a sniff from playing them again until 2006, which happened to be the last two years that Phil Bennett was on the Hilltop. We beat them in Denton and it cost them a bowl game, then Todd Dodge gave them their only win in Bennett's last season there. Then, finally, we show up in a longer series, as they build back into prominence under Sonny Dykes and the first chance they get, we get dropped like a spoiled banana into the trash can.

Screw them...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

55 minutes ago, SMUleopold said:

Runs out in '25.  Most likely they just haven't gotten around to it, there's definitely room on our schedule in the upcoming years. 

Needs to be played for both schools, hope they're smart enough to make it work. 

What?

Edited by UNTLifer
Can't get past his profile picture to read anything
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 2