How much slack should Austin Aune have this season?

4 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Translation = Bean pouted too much 

4 hours ago, RBP79 said:

IMO....Bean lacked maturity last year. 

Imagine a 27-28 yr old being more mature than an 18-20 year old. 

I know this will be unpopular but I feel like if Bean was a white kid and Aune a black kid, Bean would not have been so piled on like he was. Now I admit, I was halfway across the world and couldn’t see him on the sidelines, but I feel like any teenager is going to pout a bit at being benched but I hope everyone is being honest with themselves about why they felt they needed to discuss Bean’s sideline reactions.

Personally, watching online from afar, I thought our QB play was mediocre at best and hope Ruder or Martin take the job. 54 percent completion percentage sucks ass. 

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 11

3 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I know this will be unpopular but I feel like if Bean was a white kid and Aune a black kid, Bean would not have been so piled on like he was.

Not unpopular, just an insertion of race where it wasn't needed.  Martin has performed pretty well when forced into action, yet he doesn't run around pouting on the sidelines.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 5

5 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Translation = Bean pouted too much 

As much as I liked Bean with his jack rabbit run around end against the Rice Owls for a long TD (an all time favorite MG play of mine); anyway, he didn’t seem to be embracing the all important “management of the offense” concept. Now all that may not have been all his fault, but I did see that Aune seemed a step ahead of #5 in getting the management aspects down. 
••• I do hope, though, that Jason Bean tears it up as the Kansas Jayhawk’s QB. 

🤠Do You Remember?  Gosh! Many of us can remember when we’d have only 1 “almost” acceptable quality QB starter up there & we’d just hold our collective  breaths if his backup ever had to come in & take over. 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not unpopular, just an insertion of race where it wasn't needed.  Martin has performed pretty well when forced into action, yet he doesn't run around pouting on the sidelines.

Just a personal concern. Martin is clearly a different kid and loves to get fired up. He also was never named starter and pulled back and forth, so we don’t know how he would react to that particular situation. I would like to think as a coach’s son he would persevere and be a team player. He also is married into NT sports literally so he has different motivation. 
I don’t think everyone here is a horrible racist or anything, I just wanted to throw out something for thought. I have seen a lot of questionable takes on sports Twitter and even here on GMG. Nothing wrong with looking inwards once in a while. 
I don’t think Bean was the answer. Or Aune. Neither did the coaches, which is why Ruder is here (and Gilmore, although he doesn’t seem to be climbing the depth charts). Despite the fact that everyone in the QB room is a Seth guy, they had to bring in a transfer to take the job despite 5-6 guys already available. We should be more worried about that than Bean’s pout. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

It boggles my mind why anyone is high on Aune after last season. It was the, very literal, on field translation of the word "Meh". 

As for slack, just go for whoever wins the camp. Don't pull and swap and twist and whatever we did last year. Whoever shows the best product just go with it. Caveat: unless they put up a performance on par with Greer and Mcnulty, then you pull them. I'll never forget that first snap at UT with Greer...

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

I'm not concerned about Aune's capability.  Last year he was #26 nationally in passing rating.  Of course, he is a year older but has not been subject to as many years of football wear-and-tear on his body.

If he is replaced, I hope that it's because Jace Rider has mastered our system and is tearing it up in practice.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 1:10 PM, UNTLifer said:

Martin is the definition of a team player. Always hyped for everyone, brings energy, and when needed makes plays (bowl games it seems lol)

Not sure why that race was brought into that, but I agree in your part

• Upvote 5

On 8/5/2021 at 1:04 PM, 97and03 said:

Imagine a 27-28 yr old being more mature than an 18-20 year old. 

I know this will be unpopular but I feel like if Bean was a white kid and Aune a black kid, Bean would not have been so piled on like he was. Now I admit, I was halfway across the world and couldn’t see him on the sidelines, but I feel like any teenager is going to pout a bit at being benched but I hope everyone is being honest with themselves about why they felt they needed to discuss Bean’s sideline reactions.

Personally, watching online from afar, I thought our QB play was mediocre at best and hope Ruder or Martin take the job. 54 percent completion percentage sucks ass. 

It’s always gotta be a race thing….. LMAO get over yourself. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

People seem to forget that Aune took a 6 year break from playing any level of football. And in his first year back he was ranked 26th nationally in passer rating…. I’m not sure why he gets the hate on this website by MeanGreen fans. The QB was not the problem last year nor will it be the deciding factor between Wins and Loses this year. I’m not the coach but i would rather have a mature 28 year old who was 26th in passer rating leading my offense!!

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Martin is the definition of a team player. Always hyped for everyone, brings energy, and when needed makes plays (bowl games it seems lol)

Not sure why that race was brought into that, but I agree in your part

Does he have a lunch pail though?  

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, TruthWins said:

I’m not sure why he gets the hate on this website by MeanGreen fans.

I think part of the “hate” is the simple fact that he’s not Mason Fine.  Replacing arguably the greatest QB in school history isn’t easy.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

11 hours ago, TruthWins said:

People seem to forget that Aune took a 6 year break from playing any level of football. And in his first year back he was ranked 26th nationally in passer rating…. I’m not sure why he gets the hate on this website by MeanGreen fans. The QB was not the problem last year nor will it be the deciding factor between Wins and Loses this year. I’m not the coach but i would rather have a mature 28 year old who was 26th in passer rating leading my offense!!

I also think it’s funny how a lot of fans qualify his positive stats by saying that it was all because of Darden. No one ever qualifies Mason Fine’s success because he was throwing to Darden, or Guyton, or Steelers training camp standout Rico Bussey, or had Jeff Wilson in the backfield. 

PFF and at least one other independent evaluator gave him a really strong evaluation, and PFF had him 2nd in the nation in dropped TD passes with 5. Accuracy and ability to take check downs when these down field passes aren’t there are both big areas he can improve, but the consensus among stats and evaluations seems to indicate a pretty solid CUSA QB. 

If Ruder can beat that out, great. If not I would expect Aune to compete for all-CUSA honors.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1