Add Texas State to the future non-conference opponent list. Home and home in 2026 and 2030.

10 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I didn't care too much in this specific case, but after looking at our future schedule it is VERY odd how we get stuck with the return game in almost every home and home we sign. These are the schools we're getting the return game with...

-Liberty, California, UNLV, Texas Tech, Memphis, Wyoming, Baylor, Texas State, Tulane, Colorado, South Alabama

The only series we get home first coming up is Army in 2028 with the return game at West Point in 2029.

Yup. Pretty horrid negotiating. WB has no savvy about him at the negotiating table, or he doesn't care about the idea of many of these programs backing out after our trip to their place. I'll be very surprised to see Cal in Apogee in 2023. JS. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I feel like we are seeing college football move into a new phase that will feel really familiar to older fans. 

The elites playing more against each other. The NCAA taking a smaller role. Larger conferences. Conferences taking on more of enforcement (who is going to be more angry and demand a pound of flesh than the schools you directly compete against). 

I think getting P5 oops P4 opponents is going to be harder and a school will either need to be in a recruiting hotbed to draw a P4 that wants exposure there but doesn’t get it via conference play or have developed a reputation for high level play that would make it perceived to be a quality win for playoff purposes.  

If the expanded playoff happens and it ends up guaranteeing slots to the top six champs toss markets and regional considerations from realignment. Securing playoff spots becomes the concern. The Medium 8 (B12) will be in good position but there are certainly schools they can add that will help. AAC will be looking at the same criteria if they need to backfill

With potentially six at-large the great intersectIona like games like Alabama vs USC or Penn State become not just good for the TV partner but good for resume building. 

P4 home games become more rare. P4 road payouts are already falling but it isn’t all bad news G5+1 schools will likely play each other more with the upper quality programs seeking quality games and the 75% not in that category looking for bus rides and ticket sales. 

New world emerging and it has the potential to be a better world for us. 

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

15 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yup. Pretty horrid negotiating. WB has no savvy about him at the negotiating table, or he doesn't care about the idea of many of these programs backing out after our trip to their place. I'll be very surprised to see Cal in Apogee in 2023. JS. 

How many teams back out of the second half of a home and home? A G5 or lower P5 school that did that would have trouble scheduling home and homes.

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

I feel like we are seeing college football move into a new phase that will feel really familiar to older fans. 

The elites playing more against each other. The NCAA taking a smaller role. Larger conferences. Conferences taking on more of enforcement (who is going to be more angry and demand a pound of flesh than the schools you directly compete against). 

I think getting P5 oops P4 opponents is going to be harder and a school will either need to be in a recruiting hotbed to draw a P4 that wants exposure there but doesn’t get it via conference play or have developed a reputation for high level play that would make it perceived to be a quality win for playoff purposes.  

If the expanded playoff happens and it ends up guaranteeing slots to the top six champs toss markets and regional considerations from realignment. Securing playoff spots becomes the concern. The Medium 8 (B12) will be in good position but there are certainly schools they can add that will help. AAC will be looking at the same criteria if they need to backfill

With potentially six at-large the great intersectIona like games like Alabama vs USC or Penn State become not just good for the TV partner but good for resume building. 

P4 home games become more rare. P4 road payouts are already falling but it isn’t all bad news G5+1 schools will likely play each other more with the upper quality programs seeking quality games and the 75% not in that category looking for bus rides and ticket sales. 

Very well stated, Arkstfan.  It would have taken me 4 single-spaced pages to say the same thing. You are many of ours favorite visiting poster on GMG.com. for a reason. Go Red Wolves!

🦅

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, rcade said:

How many teams back out of the second half of a home and home? A G5 or lower P5 school that did that would have trouble scheduling home and homes.

It's not the G5 backing out. It's the P5 backing out of the return game. And it happens more than you would think. It's always because "extenuating circumstances" or "scheduling conflict", but it comes down to my school shouldn't be seen on your schools field. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

I’m a little confused by this post. 

I’m probably in your age bracket and I don’t ever remember a time where games of “big” schools vs “small” didn’t exist. Back in the day when there were ten or eleven games schools had less openings to fill but those games always existed. I’ve been following college football since the 70s. To me with 12 bids there will be less resume building, not more. If I’m in the SEC why would I play tough OOC? 

I don’t see any way the Big 12 exists and if it did how it would keep any kind of automatic bid to a playoff. 

Definitely see the conferences taking on more of an enforcement role, just not sure how much there will be to enforce. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rcade said:

54 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It's not the G5 backing out. It's the P5 backing out of the return game. And it happens more than you would think. It's always because "extenuating circumstances" or "scheduling conflict", but it comes down to my school shouldn't be seen on your schools field. 

This came up a bit back.  It [P5s backing out of the 2nd game] happens, but not that often at all in Denton.  Would like to see WB get more of these.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, meanrob said:

I’m a little confused by this post. 

I’m probably in your age bracket and I don’t ever remember a time where games of “big” schools vs “small” didn’t exist. Back in the day when there were ten or eleven games schools had less openings to fill but those games always existed. I’ve been following college football since the 70s. To me with 12 bids there will be less resume building, not more. If I’m in the SEC why would I play tough OOC? 

I don’t see any way the Big 12 exists and if it did how it would keep any kind of automatic bid to a playoff. 

Definitely see the conferences taking on more of an enforcement role, just not sure how much there will be to enforce. 

Didn’t say games wouldn’t exist just P4 leaving home to play G6 will be less common than now and the fat paydays are going away. 

AState wasn’t playing non-returned games for less than $1.8 million and those contracts are drying up. More like $1.2 million now. 

The rumored auto bid proposal isn’t these conferences get bids no matter what but we guarantee the six highest rated conference champions are in. It’s a nice anti-trust defense. Last year P12 would have been out and AAC and Sun Belt in. 

With six at-large spots resume building will matter. With SEC going 16 they may play a 9 game slate. 

More like the days when NCAA controlled TV and if you wanted on you needed games ABC wanted like intersectional clashes. 

26 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Didn’t say games wouldn’t exist just P4 leaving home to play G6 will be less common than now and the fat paydays are going away. 

AState wasn’t playing non-returned games for less than $1.8 million and those contracts are drying up. More like $1.2 million now. 

The rumored auto bid proposal isn’t these conferences get bids no matter what but we guarantee the six highest rated conference champions are in. It’s a nice anti-trust defense. Last year P12 would have been out and AAC and Sun Belt in. 

With six at-large spots resume building will matter. With SEC going 16 they may play a 9 game slate. 

More like the days when NCAA controlled TV and if you wanted on you needed games ABC wanted like intersectional clashes. 

Fair enough, I read it as those games not happening. 

These things go in cycles. One year someone will get in with a suspect schedule and the next it will be because of their strong schedule. Most likely factor will be what the name of your school is.