Add Texas State to the future non-conference opponent list. Home and home in 2026 and 2030.

5 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Wow - I thought for sure the first game would be here.  Gross.  I don't think we get anything out of playing them at all.  We should have our sights set higher (no offense to Texas State who I'm sure can very well beat us).  All a loss to them does is make us look bad and a win doesn't garner much attention.  Scheduling at their place first is even worse.  Ungood.

I mean I see the benefits. Playing a Texas school, some place our alumni can travel (you live in Temple, I better see you there lol). Maybe we tried to shoot our shot with Ok State, Arizona and it wasnt there. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I can't disagree more. We need games like Texas State--they are in state competition we recruit against and that is a team we have a ton of history with from way back when.

Looking down on them is nothing different than what SMU and UH do to us, yet both still play us

Way back when we were in a conference that was a mistake to be in (not talking about the 10s-40s era, that's great)...it just conjures up negative feelings of the step we took back for me.  I get your point about SMU/UH but I think that says more about how much we've ascended from a financial and facilities standpoint (and up until a couple years ago, an improved product on the field).  I get the point about recruiting as well...and if we lose those games we lose those players instead of playing programs of higher esteem and continuing to chip away at the higher profile AAC/lower tier P5's.  To be fair, I'm a huge fan of most of what Wren and Co. have scheduled with the Memphis, Wyoming, Houston, Tech, etc. series...this one just gives me a sour taste.

7 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

you live in Temple, I better see you there 

No doubt!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Wow - I thought for sure the first game would be here.  Gross.  I don't think we get anything out of playing them at all.  We should have our sights set higher (no offense to Texas State who I'm sure can very well beat us).  All a loss to them does is make us look bad and a win doesn't garner much attention.  Scheduling at their place first is even worse.  Ungood.

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

We don't deserve anyone but Texas State considering the way we've played the past few seasons. I mean they nearly topped smu last year, when they hung 65 on us and won by 30...

• Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 4

🏳
Check Mary Hardin-Baylor’s future schedule openings, too, while we’re getting all Texas warm, cozy & neighborly.

Do a BYU home & home & see Apogee for the first time need extra seats to handle all the DFW area Mormons & our fans who’d see the ultimate value of such a matchup. 

Army home & home?  That is a national game no matter how you slice it.  
It was also fun the last time they were at Apogee when we won with a last minute field goal.  Seems some of the New York media were here covering the game, too? 

Follow the TCU model pre-Big 12 when they removed themselves from all the rest of the Texas sludge & went rogue.  It really worked out well for them until UT & OU decided to go super-elitists. 

👎👎

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

I would hold off on judging this until we know more about the CFB landscape.   Could be vastly different in a couple years.  Currently, the gap between them and us is not nearly as big as the gap between us and P5.  Some would argue they are our equal right now.

Regardless, it's a fantastic regional opponent no matter what conference/level the schools are in.  Take away branding, and IMO this is light years better than Waco and Lubbock.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

🏳
Check Mary Hardin-Baylor’s future schedule openings, too, while we’re getting all Texas warm, cozy & neighborly.

Do a BYU home & home & see Apogee for the first time need extra seats to handle all the DFW area Mormons & our fans who’d see the ultimate value of such a matchup. 

Army home & home?  That is a national game no matter how you slice it.  
It was also fun the last time they were at Apogee when we won with a last minute field goal.  Seems some of the New York media were here covering the game, too? 

Follow the TCU model pre-Big 12 when they removed themselves from all the rest of the Texas sludge & went rogue.  It really worked out well for them until UT & OU decided to go super-elitists. 

👎👎

I don't mind playing Texas State at all. What I do mind is playing FCS spares here. Those games do nothing for us. We are at least playing some of these FCS teams from closer to us in Texas now, so at least we can get a few thousand of their local fans to show up (looking at ACU or SFA, not HBU or Lamar or Incarnate Word), but we need to play and beat teams that people have heard of and can help us in recruiting. TX State helps us do that...Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word, Lamar, Bethune-Cookman, Texas Southern, Nicholls State, and Portland State don't help us out at all. I'd much prefer to play SBC teams in OOC play versus these spares. Play ULM, Arky State, ULL, and Troy. Those games help you get better, even if you lose them. As we have seen under SL and DMac, these FCS games don't help at all to be a winner. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Excited about getting to play SWT but disappointed  we can’t get them here first.  Guys this is a fun place to visit and easy drive road game.  

San Marcos used to be a fun place to visit.  Now it is just an extension of Austin. 

See no benefit at all playing this school. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

San Marcos used to be a fun place to visit.  Now it is just an extension of Austin. 

See no benefit at all playing this school. 

It's been 7+ years since our program last went to Austin.  Do you not like Austin? IMO San Marcos is like Denton with some South Texas vibes, minus the gameday blowouts.  Unless it's changed.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

Any particular reason or just gut feel?  I think it’s an easy travel game and my wife likes shopping there so makes it easier to convince her to let me go.

You want as many easy-drive and in-state games as you can get for recruiting purposes, and to build your fanbase.  There are a lot of UNT grads in the I35 corridor in central Texas.  It's long-term program building (in my opinion) to play as many in-state games as possible.  Now, I'm not saying UNT should play Texas teams home/home to the exclusion of bigger name visiting programs.  I'm saying you want to have a balance of bigger-name schools mixed in with Texas-based teams in your OOC schedule, because it's easier for alumni, and it gets the name out there in the recruiting areas.

Secondly, UNT and TSU have a pretty long history of playing each other.  Why would the schools not want to continue that, and maximize it?  UNT needs as many regional rivals as possible.  TSU fans--at least some--will travel to UNT for a game.  It's a no-brainer to play them regularly, as far as I'm concerned.  Fun trip, too.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I think this is great. I’d much rather play the Bobcats than the roadchickens anyhow. I’m glad we are starting up the series with them again and as much as many of you refuse to  accept this, amongst the general Texas working world, North Texas and Texas State aren’t viewed any differently when asked what school you attended. This game could get way more attention and has  more long-term potential than a head-thumping once or twice a decade in Austin. Well done Wren Baler.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4