Random thought: I wish we had a grass berm in the south endzone.

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Lovely take and idear."

WanderingEagle was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

So I'm a little bit of a stadium nut in all sports. I don't have money and i don't have power at the university. And this is obvious that I'm bored and can't wait for the season.

But I can't help but think... how cool would it be if we had a berm instead of the giant wing? Schools such as Wake Forest, Baylor, Missouri and even SMUt have added them and they're so nice. 

image.png.eb2fd6db38199290294402df6cade70e.png

image.png.84d4de14e596130f2e82838f51d01254.png

Personally I am just not a fan of the wing in the north endzone either. I dont think it looks tacky or anything but I don't have any emotional attachment to it as being a "cool" part of a 10 year old stadium. It's not like they can just wipe that out though and taking out the entire south endzone of seating removes like 10k seats. But it's never full unless we're playing Houston or SMU or somebody local and/or we're winning. Even the LA Tech and SMU games in 2018 didn't get the wing full to the top. Regardless of whether it's in the north or south endzone... Give us grass! I mark this the official petition to expand seating on the visitor side and put in a berm under the scoreboard.

Thoughts?

Edited by WanderingEagle
Forgot to add "thoughts"
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

No thanks. I would rather enclose the wing than add a grass hill or something. I personally like the wing, it makes Apogee is more unique stadium. 
I mean most G5 stadiums have that one spot in the stadium that’s not full all the time (section facing the press box at SMU) 

If we were to ever get rid of it, do something that makes it different but not less. Less capacity makes it look not good on paper and would put us at the bottom half of capacity.

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Remember we still have an outstanding issue with where the main diamond vision scoreboard is currently placed.  It covers up the patio backside of the athletic center (bad architecture and planning) and the rumor is they are looking to dump the screen and place smaller screens in each corner of the stadium (bad idear).

The support structure for the wing is steel, not concrete.  I suspect that it was designed that way not so much to keep costs down, but to make it easier to remove and replace when it came time to expand the stadium.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Nonsense!  If you take down the wing, replace it with seating to form a bowl, increasing capacity.  Move the scoreboard to the bowl end.  Construct a berm with tunnel/opening where the players can come out onto the field.

Just win.

3 cheers (& a Fletchers corny dog) for DG. 🍺 🍺 🍺

Unrelated, but when the TV cameras are on the sidelines this Fall I wish the camera people would provide more views of the press box side of fabulous Apogee Stadium. Those shots have been too few in past telecasts.  

14194812-E54B-49C3-B8CE-240A2CA7388A.thumb.jpeg.3718778db6d28a32c45304db2f420630.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6

Don’t decrease capacity. Doesn’t division 1 have minimum seating requirements?

What I would like to see is a padded area on the wall of the north end zone so our players can jump on to after scoring. Like a “Lambeau Leap”. Looks great on camera and gets the fans in the cheap seats involved. We can call it The Eagles Landing!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hookset said:

Don’t decrease capacity. Doesn’t division 1 have minimum seating requirements?

What I would like to see is a padded area on the wall of the north end zone so our players can jump on to after scoring. Like a “Lambeau Leap”. Looks great on camera and gets the fans in the cheap seats involved. We can call it The Eagles Landing!

Not a bad idea at all.  They sort of do that on the Wing side but it would be less dangerous if it was padded.

• Thanks 1