JUCO G Bryce Zephir Announces Commitment

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Maybe but we already show two walkons on the roster. Arsh Mattu and Dylan Mckeon. I think two walkons on the roster is the max.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2021-22

There is no limit on the number of walk-ons that can be on a team.  There is a 15 player limit on the total number of players who can suit up and be available for the game.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I hope he is a walk on, doesn't seem to have the career to earn a ship at this level.

6.1 ppg and 18 minutes a game last year AT JUCO.  

Keep in mind the team he played for made the national JUCO semifinals so that’s one of the top JUCOs in the country as a freshman. Also, he was 5th on the team in scoring so he was a pretty integral bench piece.

The guards who finished ahead of him in scoring were sophomores and one freshman who we offered (Jaeden Zackery), and ended up signing with Boston College. Could be a case of Mccasland locking up a guy who may be on the verge of a big breakout with the players ahead of him moving on.

Shooting numbers are really good so it appears to have more to do with him playing for a really good JUCO and having to take a seat behind sophomores than him not being capable of more volume. Sophomores are going to get first crack at JUCOs since it’s their last year to earn a scholarship, and the ones ahead of him didn’t do anything to blow that chance.

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

There is no limit on the number of walk-ons that can be on a team.  There is a 15 player limit on the total number of players who can suit up and be available for the game.  

That’s what I was thinking but either way it’s one roster spot left and I don’t see Mccasland using that last spot on another walkon.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SUMG said:

Saw footage of him....from 2019....he's listed as 5'6". And he looked that small.

Now I see that he's listed as 6'4"...and he looks that tall. 

That's one hellatious growth spurt. 

He could still be growing, like Rodman, and that could be a bonus.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Could be a case of Mccasland locking up a guy who may be on the verge of a big breakout with the players ahead of him moving on.

That’s what I’d bet on. Especially if he grew so much in that year and was only a freshman... could see him being a breakout player for sure as he adjusts to his size. His tape was pretty good and he had nice court vision with some nice passes. May take a second to see where he’s going, but I could see him being a big part of the team with development as his career shakes out. 

• Upvote 2

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/What-North-TExas-mean-green-basketball-gets-in-versatile-bryce-zephir-168549719/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Can officially mark this as our 13th scholarship player. 4 years of eligibility left due to extra COVID year. Sounds like the coaches could see him playing the 2 and the 3 but also potentially 4 and 1 in a pinch as well. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Not sure how to feel about this, but welcome Bryce 

Let me put it this way. Mccasland’s benches have been notoriously short in his tenure. Maybe his biggest weakness has been the lack of depth on our roster. We were playing a 7-man rotation in tournament play, we were 8 deep the year before, and basically 7 deep the two seasons before that. 

To play for Mccasland you have to be able to play defense and you have to be able to hit open shots, unless you’re the 5. We have had so many roster spots taken up by guys like Jalen Jackson, Larry Wise, Jahmiah Simmons, Terence Lewis, Shakeem Alcindor, Abdul Mohamed, etc who Mccasland could not play because they couldn’t shoot/were complete liabilities offensively. This has been my biggest gripe with Mccasland. He signs these guys who can’t shoot, then is unable to play them because they can’t shoot.

Zephir’s quantity on his stats aren’t impressive but he hit 50% of his threes and took a decent amount, plus made 16-17 from the free throw line. He has good size and he’s a lights out shooter. Obviously there is more to basketball than shooting, but he has the track record that indicates come March he shouldn’t be burning a hole on the bench because the coaches can’t trust him to hit open shots. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

I don't believe many coaches recruit for the bench.  Obviously, most of the players are going to be sitting more than playing; but coaches are primarily looking for that great starter.  

Also, few coaches are going to play more than 7 or 8 on a regular basis.  

NT is going into next season with only two proven starters: Bell and McBride.  Osmane and Wright will battle it out for the 5 position.  

The pg, will come down between Perry and Browne.   That leaves one guard position to be fought over between Zephir, Jones and either Perry or Browne.  

I just don't think any of the true freshmen are going to be factors in the starting five competition.  McC just doesn't have a history of playing them.   However, whether that is a mindset or he just hasn't got that level of freshman player remains to be determined. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't believe many coaches recruit for the bench.  Obviously, most of the players are going to be sitting more than playing; but coaches are primarily looking for that great starter.  

NT is going into next season with only two proven starters: Bell and McBride.  Osmane and Wright will battle it out for the 5 position.  

The pg, will come down between Perry and Browne.   That leaves one guard position to be fought over between Zephir, Jones and either Perry or Browne.  

I just don't think any of the true freshmen are going to be factors in the starting five competition.  

Yes, but the problem with our depth has been that we have only had 7 or 8 guys Mccasland could even play in tournament play. This year we have a chance to legitimately go more than 8 deep. And if Mccasland only wants to play 8, the guys beyond that at least should be capable, which hasn’t been the case.

Jahmiah Simmons and Chris Morgan are the only players I expect to be non-playable come tournament time. Maybe Zephir, Scott, and Stone won’t all crack the rotation but I expect at least one of them to be playable come tournament time. They all can shoot and have good size, just a matter of how quickly they can get caught up to D1 speed.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I just don't think any of the true freshmen are going to be factors in the starting five competition.  McC just doesn't have a history of playing them.   However, whether that is a mindset or he just hasn't got that level of freshman player remains to be determined. 

Seems like they just struck out with a quality transfer. You don’t wait this long for a kid that averaged 6 pts. Hopefully he works out but I am disappointed; coming off a good season. Would have liked the last ship to go to a big to help elevate the program. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

Seems like they just struck out with a quality transfer. You don’t wait this long for a kid that averaged 6 pts. Hopefully he works out but I am disappointed; coming off a good season. Would have liked the last ship to go to a big to help elevate the program. 

I, too, would love to have a quality big.  Seems like WKU always gets one.  But they are so hard to come by for us.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

In my eyes:

PG: Jones, Perry, Browne

SG: McBride, Murray, Browne/Zephir

SF: Bell, Miah, Stone

PF: Wright, Scott/Stone

Center: Ousmane, Morgan

Any thoughts? I think guard position is the best we’ve had in years. So much talent

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

In my eyes:

Any thoughts? I think guard position is the best we’ve had in years. So much talent

Bell has been a 4 in Mccasland’s system the past two seasons and Miah has been a 4 since 2016-2017 under Mccasland at Arkansas State. Can’t imagine them both being moved to the 3 in his system suddenly. It’s a 3 to 4 guard system, and those guys aren’t guards.

Otherwise I think that’s pretty close. I think Perry or Browne will start at point guard with Rubin as kind of the secondary point guard taking the ball up the court and initiating offense as well. He was used in a similar secondary ball handler role last year when he was on the court with Hamlet.

I think you have Browne a little underrated. I’m expecting him to either start or be 6th man, but also wouldn’t be shocked to see the coaches put Murray ahead of him like you have. They definitely have a lot of trust in Murray that they might not put in newcomers right off the bat.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

In my eyes:

I know the scouting report mentions that Zephir would be a great 1/2, but 24/7 had a quote from Dowling that indicates that Zephir could play the 1-4. Maybe Zephir could be an all around 6th man? They obviously recruited him with the bench in mind.

“Bryce is a multi-positional player,” North Texas assistant coach Jareem Dowling said. “He is a guy that can play multiple positions on the floor, playing anywhere from the four to the one. 

Edited by denton_days
  • Upvote 3