Politics + Realignment

I just saw this article about TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech officials meeting with Gov. Abbott about realignment. They reportedly made the case that they need to "land in good spots" and TCU made the explicit argument that they need to play in a top conference "for the city’s and state’s economy."

As an outsider, it seems like all realignment is being driven by money (namely media contracts). So much so that I think the idea of evaluating conference members based on research status, academics, and location is crumbling right now. It's becoming an "in" or "out" scenario—either you're in the power league with the best teams and big money, or you're out.

With that, I'm curious: How much influence do politicians have in this? What strings can Abbott pull to help TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech? Furthermore, what motivation does he have to help them (especially given he's a UT guy and probably happy as a clam right now)?

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

Baylor and Tech were only in the Big 12 because of intervention from Richards and Bullock, but they were fine letting TCU, Rice, Houston, and SMU die a slow death at the time.

The problem today is that many of the largest athletics programs and universities have outgrown state support. The combination of cuts to state contributions and growth of these athletics departments is why Texas and OU could go whichever way they wanted this time around.

BUT, that's not to say that politicians don't have ANY influence. The legislators are still very powerful when it comes to schools below that elite level. One of the reasons you'll see me reference UH as one of the choices to add to the B12 despite not being the best match from a fanbase/eyeballs/contributions standpoint is that they have a lot of support in the state government.

But there's the rub. The only teams the state government is in a position to influence are the remaining teams in the Big12 and the teams below them... A&M and UT are both in the SEC. That's done. 

So this meeting was a desperate attempt that really had nowhere to go. What's Abbott gonna do... force schools in the Pac12, Big10, or ACC to take them? Get Colorado back? Nope. They are stuck.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Very much a woulda coulda shoulda thing for me to say but I think if we would’ve been willing to do more in ‘78 and ‘82 instead of tucking our tails we’d probably be somewhere close to where the Coogs are now (which is still not the most enviable position, but more favorable than ours).  To me, that lesson was to not ever give up on the vision of ascension.  Yes the bar is way higher now and we are probably frozen out forever, but let’s be the best we can be and keep going. Things will ever evolve, who knows what corruption scandal lies ahead of all this.  I understand the give up attitude some around here have but it is not the path to fun Saturdays.  Keep goin. 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

As an outsider, it seems like all realignment is being driven by money (namely media contracts). So much so that I think the idea of evaluating conference members based on research status, academics, and location is crumbling right now. It's becoming an "in" or "out" scenario—either you're in the power league with the best teams and big money, or you're out.

This is America my friend, land of the free economy. Founding fathers knew that the pursuit of better things (happiness, success, and, of course, more money) drives us to our ultimate potential.

Don't like it? Be sure to pack your hammer and sickle on the way out. Buckle up, this capitalist ride is just taking off, and we got a decade of crazy ass football shenanigans ahead of us. I mean... Jason F'n Bean is a starter again. None of this makes sense anymore. I'm just gonna watch and enjoy the fireworks.

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

Baylor and Tech were only in the Big 12 because of intervention from Richards and Bullock, but they were fine letting TCU, Rice, Houston, and SMU die a slow death at the time.

Ann Richards was not involved. She found it amusing that anyone thought she cared.

The 3 most important politicians involved were Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock and State Senators David Sibley and John Montford.

Montford a UT graduate represented Lubbock and would later go on to be Chancellor of Texas Tech. Sibley represented Waco and was a Baylor alum. Bullock had a BA from Tech and Law Degree from Baylor.  

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I wouldn’t mention the word politics or anything related because that’s apparently a major No-No on here. 3 warnings on my end!

As long as we're on the football board, I think we're ok!

17 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Very much a woulda coulda shoulda thing for me to say but I think if we would’ve been willing to do more in ‘78 and ‘82 instead of tucking our tails we’d probably be somewhere close to where the Coogs are now (which is still not the most enviable position, but more favorable than ours). 

We're missing one thing... A Tillman Fertitta type.  Don't underrate his influence on where UofH is at today.

In other news, I pledge my infinite and yet to be realized fortune to the UNT system.  

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I wouldn’t mention the word politics or anything related because that’s apparently a major No-No on here. 3 warnings on my end!

5 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

As long as we're on the football board, I think we're ok!

As long as it's football politics, I'd think OK. Political football, maybe not.

• Oh Boy! 1

6 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

We're missing one thing... A Tillman Fertitta type.  Don't underrate his influence on where UofH is at today.

In other news, I pledge my infinite and yet to be realized fortune to the UNT system.  

Indeed but I think their commitment to athletics through the decades probably made a Fertitta type more interested in giving them money. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tmjerm said:

We're missing one thing... A Tillman Fertitta type.

I think Brint Ryan has that possibility.  His tax and accounting company is worldwide and worth billions although not yet close to Fertitta but still quite a lot.  Notice that the CUSA media days were called “Ryan”?  He is a very impressive alumnus and loves UNT very much.

Fertitta is a Born on the Island (BOI) and has been a major investor in Galveston which is exploding right now in terms of tourism And real estate etc.  he just started up a new IPO tied to Vegas and gambling etc.  I believe he has ties to the  Maceo family which owned the gambling business in Galveston and now owns Landtry’s and many other successful businesses.

You are absolutely correct in saying a person like Fertitta makes a huge impact if a conference like the Big 12 is looking for the right expansion candidate and trying to see if they have the support required to help build your conference and gain payoff spots in the future.

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Lovely Take 2

Love Fertitta’s version of Galveston.

Growing up in Brazoria County, I was more of a Surfside Beach in Freeport sorta guy (30 miles west of Galveston). So was half of Houston it seemed.

🧐A Fact:  The Brazos River runs into the Gulf of Mexico near Surfside Beach & Dow Chemical. 

Used to rent a surfboard there & surf on those giant “3 foot” waves!🤩 (Hang 10, baby)! 

Below pic is Surfside Beach, Freeport, Texas

••• Dow Chemical is near this beach.  My late dad worked there for 37 years.  Dow (under government secret orders) made agent orange during the Vietnam War.  Almost 50,000 Americans died fighting communism in that war.
2C948BDD-A7CB-4DB3-978D-E94748EC6D13.jpeg.c6939d558abce1931f63a5a0b1414512.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1