Jason Bean the favorite to start at KU

meangreen11

On 8/20/2021 at 4:06 PM, golfingomez said:

I never had a problem with Bean's arm, to me he threw a better ball than Aune, not sure if his decision making was the best, but i think he got an unnecessarily bad rap here.

Man, this is a crazy statement. He was nowhere near as accurate, I guess you could try and say his ball had more zip on it, I disagree, but who cares how far or hard you can throw it when it’s not accurate??  

Like was stated earlier, unless Bean was out of the pocket with no one in front of him, he couldn’t hit a deep receiver to save his life. He always had happy feet in the pocket.  

That being said, that’s also on our coaching staff for not doing a better job of moving him out of the pocket. IMO, almost every play we ran with him in should’ve been a Zone Option Read/Pass. He should’ve been outside the pocket where the threat of his legs might’ve opened up some receivers. 

Much like UT did early on in VY’s career. (I know he is nowhere near as talented)

• 2 weeks later...

What’s the status of the Quarterback room

Even though the first game is only a mere four days, Leipold has yet to name a starting quarterback for the season-opener.

Although the Jayhawks return redshirt senior Miles Kendrick and sophomore Jalon Daniels, North Texas transfer redshirt junior Jason Bean has thrown himself into the mix for the starting job. 

“It’s always possible that you could see multiple quarterbacks,” Leipold said recently. 

Although Kendrick and Daniels lacked consistency last year in the Jayhawks’ winless campaign, Leipold has seen improvements from all three. 

“For them to slowly get understanding and command with confidence, to help people get lined up and what motions were doing and things, let alone the reads and everything that’s happening, we are starting to see those things happen…” 

Leipold went on to say that he has been impressed with Bean over the course of the spring into the summer. 

“[He has a] better understanding and confidence in the huddle,” Leipold said recently. “He’s getting more confident in seeing things, his accuracy has improved, he continues to show his athleticism with his feet.”

The Jayhawks are set to open their 2021 campaign Friday, Sept. 3 at David Booth Memorial Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

read more: https://www.kansan.com/sports/back-to-sports-where-kansas-football-stands-after-a-busy-summer/article_362c0780-0992-11ec-8338-4f4b1ba6c09d.html

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 8/22/2021 at 5:32 AM, untlynchka1 said:

Man, this is a crazy statement. He was nowhere near as accurate, I guess you could try and say his ball had more zip on it, I disagree, but who cares how far or hard you can throw it when it’s not accurate??  

2021908607_ScreenShot2021-08-31at10_00_01AM.png.032cf48907bdc2a0c1c96fc82df27849.png

I think it would be great to see Jason light it up at Kansas if he gets the nod.  Once a member of the Mean Green family, always a member (unless we meet on the gridiron, of course).

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, keith said:

2021908607_ScreenShot2021-08-31at10_00_01AM.png.032cf48907bdc2a0c1c96fc82df27849.png

I think it would be great to see Jason light it up at Kansas if he gets the nod.  Once a member of the Mean Green family, always a member (unless we meet on the gridiron, of course).

Thanks, Keith…ugh. I planned on turning my frown upside down in regards to the quarterbacks because it’s game week and then you post that. 

In fairness I looked up Fine’s first year comp pct and it was 59.4. So maybe Aune can show improvement as well. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So our part-time starter will possibly be KU starter. Highlights the state of KU football. 

I gotta say...  I'll keep my eye on him up there.   

I think we all doubt any success at all in Kansas, but let's see.   If he balls out and has a great season up there, I'll be happy for him.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think we all doubt any success at all in Kansas, but let's see.   If he balls out and has a great season up there, I'll be happy for him.

Maybe we misused his talents here? No QB coach, no OC…

Not saying it is the case but we should consider the possibility. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I hope he does well. Not sure what type of team he has supporting him

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Maybe...but it seems whatever coaching he received at NT put him in a good spot to step right in and compete for a starting job.  Doubt he does that at KU right out of high school.

I always leaned toward Bean over Aune. Now, I just hope Aune has improved his ball placement. 

On 8/31/2021 at 9:35 AM, meanrob said:

In fairness I looked up Fine’s first year comp pct and it was 59.4. So maybe Aune can show improvement as well. 

Fine's % was partly in due to his Romo-esque run-around and throw it up style early on. Aune sometimes struggled to put it within reach on a screen or a hitch. If I see the same struggles this weekend I am gonna need to speak to a manager.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

So we have the top Offense in the conference, we do have an OC (Mike B) and Seth.
Maybe the problem JB wanted to put JB before the team 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You will, but some simply can’t get past their initial assessment and secretly wish bad things on a young man (and crap on KU football) because it’s easier than “I may have been wrong”  

• Oh Boy! 2

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

You will, but some simply can’t get past their initial assessment and secretly wish bad things on a young man (and crap on KU football) because it’s easier than “I may have been wrong”  

Hey there is nothing wrong with crapping on KU football. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Not sure his success or failure at KU equates to anyone here being right or wrong.  Players often transfer and find success at their new school.  

I agree that’s it’s pretty bad to wish him failure.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

What's bad is those same folks will overlook his on-field play, which was decent, just to zero in on his sideline demeanor after being benched, like they wouldn't be pissed about it too.    The kid's a competitor.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1