Report: AAC attempting to take all eight remaining Big 12 members

Greenrex

According to Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports, the AAC is attempting to take all eight remaining members of the Big 12. Earlier reports stated just three to five, but a full merge of the conferences is wanted.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/report-aac-attempting-eight-remaining-192507882.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_11

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Like I said, I admire AAC's gumption here...but I still look at if from OK State and TTech's point of view. Both of which have been ranked in the top 10 and been in big national championship implication games the past few years. As they ponder that situation, look at being in a conference with Temple, Tulane and Tulsa and say "thanks....but we'll just go indy if we have to for now"

There is NO WAY those schools go to the AAC. Their fans and alumni would revolt.

Okay, so they don't join to avoid a revolt. Now what?

• Upvote 1

I dont see the remaining schools as a P5 conference anymore, because they will not generate the media revenue with out Texas and OU.  Iowa st. might go to the Big10, and WV is looking to leave too, then the B12 is down to 6 schools.  Its going to be hard enough to generate any revenue with 8 schools let alone 6.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

with out Texas and OU, that TV deal will be nothing close to what it used to be. 

After 2024, sure. But that's still 4 seasons of $37m per team, or 6x what teams in the AAC make, before they need a new home.

If ESPN could just NOT pay them at this point, it doesn't make any sense that they'd be trying to dissolve the rest of the conference. That's why I think there will also be lawsuits at this point.

Wait out the purge, steal teams from AAC-MWC if needed, try and find homes in remaining Power Conferences. Until all those options have been explored, I don't see them all deciding to go hang out with Tulsa, Tulane and SMU for chump change.

Just now, Monkeypox said:

After 2024, sure. But that's still 4 seasons of $37m per team, or 6x what teams in the AAC make, before they need a new home.

If ESPN could just NOT pay them at this point, it doesn't make any sense that they'd be trying to dissolve the rest of the conference. That's why I think there will also be lawsuits at this point.

Wait out the purge, steal teams from AAC-MWC if needed, try and find homes in remaining Power Conferences. Until all those options have been explored, I don't see them all deciding to go hang out with Tulsa, Tulane and SMU for chump change.

If I’m Texas and OU, I just agree to play OOC series against Tech, OSU, Baylor, and TCU in the next decade as a trade off…it’ll be funny how fast those without a sure place to land will capitulate to get those teams on their schedules for the next 10+ years 

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Dude. OK State and TTech will NEVER be in a conference with the the likes of Tulsa, Temple, Tulane, etc. Not gonna happen. 

You didn't answer my question.

What kind of TV deal can a regional school in Lubbock, Texas expect? Give me a number.

17 minutes ago, Blue Horse said:

You didn't answer my question.

What kind of TV deal can a regional school in Lubbock, Texas expect? Give me a number.

Doesn’t matter. They would rather have no TV deal. 

let me restate that. AAC teams get $7 million a year?

how many OK State alums would it take to pay that off to NOT be in a Conference with Tulsa. Answer.  Wouldn’t take very many to not have their fans say “oh….Temple is coming to Stillwater, I wonder what we’re paying them? What? We’re not? This is a conference game?”

no way 

Edited by TheColonyEagle

29 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Doesn’t matter. They would rather have no TV deal. 

let me restate that. AAC teams get $7 million a year?

how many OK State alums would it take to pay that off to NOT be in a Conference with Tulsa. Answer.  Wouldn’t take very many to not have their fans say “oh….Temple is coming to Stillwater, I wonder what we’re paying them? What? We’re not? This is a conference game?”

no way 

Okay, now we're making some progress.

1. Let's say Oklahoma State goes independent. Where are they putting their basketball? The only conference that would accept them for basketball only could potentially be the mountain West conference, and that would likely require them to engage in a scheduling alliance with teams that are far worse than the ones in the AAC.

2. Oklahoma State needs to win a championship game to have the best shot they can have at making the playoff. Removing themselves from a conference at this juncture would require them to be something around top six to make the playoff. If Oklahoma State is that much better than everybody else, all the more reason to stick around a couple years, own the whole conference, and after five consecutive playoff appearances get taken by someone else. Going to the AAC provides a future elsewhere.

3. Money. Right now the American conference makes around $7 million a year per school. Yes, that is a big hit. However you cannot just not be on television. To say that a TV contract doesn't matter and Oklahoma State will just have to be principled and not joining with certain schools is misreading the situation.

4. Scheduling as an independent is actually very challenging. Look at the schools that last is independents. They either have limitless money or a national following. Oklahoma State does have certain boosters, but without a national following it decreases the likelihood that they are going to play marquee programs in Stillwater through an independent schedule that you say isn't even on television 

5. Recruiting is last. If Texas tech and Oklahoma State were not members of a conference, they would not be playing the games in the larger Texas areas that produce talent. Without consistent games being played in these areas they would not be as relevant they would be in a conference. The best evidence I can give in this regard is Arkansas. When Arkansas left the Southwest conference they believed they would continue to get Texas recruiting while not playing Texas games due to their brand. That never worked out.

Edited by Blue Horse
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Unfortunately, we can speculate all we want but ESPN is calling the shots.  It is whatever they want it to be.  It's likely that if AAC takes all there will be no repercussions such as a lawsuit if there is no one left damaged and the conference no longer exists.  

Now if I had my druthers when the contract is up I'd like to see the AAC take West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State.  The remaining four (Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor) would take in Houston, SMU, North Texas, Rice, UTSA, Louisiana, Louisiana Tech and Texas State.  Caveat...all must have at least a 40,000 seat stadium by 2025.  As to AAC's replacement for Connecticut, I would hope that they could add Army.