Successful football programs maintain substantial power in Austin

The colleges that run the most successful football programs maintain substantial power in Austin. The Texas State University System employs six lobbyists to press their case to legislators; Rice reported employing nine lobbyists this year. Baylor and the University of Houston each have four paid advocates.

Link:  https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/565445-college-football-move-rocks-texas-legislature

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

And we have? Zero GIF by memecandy

This is all beginning to make me think of the good ol’ days (sarc) in Denton right after Fry left town.🙄  Let the Bataan Death March 2.0  begin...again. 
“PMG, but why so bitter 1 or 2 might ask? “ Well, not bitter—just disappointed as hell. (Obviously,I am not alone with that feeling). 

Yet where did all the time go, I’m 70 freakin years old now & what started out with great promise In the early 70’s shows no signs of progressing inasmuch as our name is never uttered in any (better conference) talks.  Re-Alignment time has become a focus on just how far we’ve come or...for us how far we’ve still not come.  Our loathful “25 years too late on everything” past continues to rear its ugly head.  Hell, all we seem to have done the last 50 years is tread water but mostly gone under.

Still....new hope came with the emergence of Smatresk as UNT President, a BOR’s that wanted to play hard ball & with the key player in all of this (IMHO) being AD Wren Baker. They were all on the same page, but now Missouri just happens to need a freakin’ AD? Such terrific timing!  One couldn’t put that scenario in a poorly written paperback novel.  

We just need a bigger than usual break to materialize in Denton soon. Any schools alums & fans thrive on such things. 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

This is all beginning to make me think of the good ol’ days (sarc) in Denton right after Fry left town.🙄  Let the Bataan Death March 2.0  begin...again. 
“PMG, but why so bitter 1 or 2 might ask? “ Well, not bitter—just disappointed as hell. (Obviously,I am not alone with that feeling). 

Yet where did all the time go, I’m 70 freakin years old now & what started out with great promise In the early 70’s shows no signs of progressing inasmuch as our name is never uttered in any (better conference) talks.  Re-Alignment time has become a focus on just how far we’ve come or...for us how far we’ve still not come.  Our loathful “25 years too late on everything” past continues to rear its ugly head.  Hell, all we seem to have done the last 50 years is tread water but mostly gone under.

Still....new hope came with the emergence of Smatresk as UNT President, a BOR’s that wanted to play hard ball & with the key player in all of this (IMHO) being AD Wren Baker. They were all on the same page, but now Missouri just happens to need a freakin’ AD? Such terrific timing!  One couldn’t put that scenario in a poorly written paperback novel.  

We just need a bigger than usual break to materialize in Denton soon. Any schools alums & fans thrive on such things. 

🦅

I hear yeah. I’m relatively young but I cringe at the thought of waiting years for something to happen. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jonnyeagle said:

If that is true and we really have no lobbyists in Austin supporting the cause we are S-C-R-E-W-E-D!  How could a university of our size not have this in place?

I think years and years of being happy with just being “that music school” and nothing else 

• RV 2
  • Eye Roll 1